Tamron 17-50mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsha

Aug 10, 2009
Hi all...I like to take nature photos and also macro. I am wondering if the Tamron 17-50mm lens would be a good "walk around lens" for a Nikon D90 and then investing in a good macro. I need to move up to a better camera and I am thinking of buying the Nikon body only and then investing in the lenses. I am strictly an amature and this will be my first digital SLR. ...(Can the Tamron 17-50 do any macro?)... The lighter weight and smaller size would be a plus.
The macro that I am thinking about is the Tamron 90 SP 1.1. (That may have to be a birthday or Christmas gift!)
Thanks for any comments and help!
Marsha

1) Tamron 17-50 is a good walk around lens, many people here us it, including me.
2) No, it's not a macro lens.
3) Tamron is heavier than the standard kit lenses.
More details about the Tamron: Photozone.de: Tamron 17-50 at Nikon D200

Hi all...I like to take nature photos and also macro. I am wondering if the Tamron 17-50mm lens would be a good "walk around lens" for a Nikon D90 and then investing in a good macro. I need to move up to a better camera and I am thinking of buying the Nikon body only and then investing in the lenses. I am strictly an amature and this will be my first digital SLR. ...(Can the Tamron 17-50 do any macro?)... The lighter weight and smaller size would be a plus.
The macro that I am thinking about is the Tamron 90 SP 1.1. (That may have to be a birthday or Christmas gift!)
Thanks for any comments and help!
Marsha

if u are comfortable with that focal length, yes its a gd walk ard lens.
tamron 17-50 can't do macro. but it can go pretty close to subject and can still focus.
tamron 90mm is also a nice macro. but i would prefer the nikon 60mm micro lens.

Thanks for the help. What do you think of one lens, the Nikon 18-200? Could that suffice for a walk-around, zoom and macro? One lens versus two?

18-200 is a convenient lens if you wanna save the hassle of changing lenses on the go, only that u have a smaller aperture (4.8 at 50mm already) and soft edges at 18mm which doesn't improve by stopping down. i'm using tamron 17-50 and loving a constant f2.8 across its zoom range.

I have also thought seriously about the Tamron 17-50...very good reviews on it. Back to my decision making! Thanks and I am glad you mentioned the Tamron. My problem is that where I live, there are not any stores that carry this kind of equipment for me to go see...hold, etc. I am relying on my computer for reviews, etc. No store, but lots of nature all around me! I'll take the computer for my shopping! LOL

I've bought Tamron 90mm at one of the shop in Sim Lim Square one months ago for S$500 over.. I really like it's auto focus and manual switch.. It's lil bit unusual than other.. the switch itself is the focus ring which u pulled front and back, it's so convenience especially when your eyes on viewfinder and your hand need to reach auto/manual focus switch..

If you want macro capabilities, there are many alternative solution can do about it.. check point no5 at this link http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261356

Last edited:
Go ahead and purchase Tamron 17-50. I sold Sigma 24-70 f2.8 for this lens reason because its light, other reason it is a nice focal range for crop body such as Nikon D90. Therefore I switch to lighter lens without losing quality and has constant f2.8, so I went for this Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Though my previous lens looks big that layman judge it very pro, but they don't know the latter look like plastic kit lens can produce good quality photos too.

As for Tamron 90mm Macro, have u tested it? I personally like the working distance because its 90mm but I don't like the noise. Its too loud and makes you so embarassed when people gave you that kind of look. Maybe you might want to check out the macro lens perhaps Sigma 105mm? Or wait for the coming new Tamron macro lens. If you can afford, then get Nikkor glass. For me I'm still exploring for macro lens, perhaps you can update me, if you happen to found any good macro lens.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. What do you think of one lens, the Nikon 18-200? Could that suffice for a walk-around, zoom and macro? One lens versus two?

There is no one lens which could do all the jobs, while the 18-200 is quite versatile, it cannot do macro like a dedicated macro lens. It can only offer some close ups which is not exactly macro standard.

Pls do more homework first and understand what you want and can get out first.

You also considered Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Macro. It might not be able to cover wider range than 17-50mm, but its quite handy for walk around, street photography. You need to physically test out the lens and see if the focal length coverage suit your shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.