Tamron 17-50mm VC ($365) or Non VC ($354) for Nikon DX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelMan

Sep 3, 2013
Tampines
Interested to get a mid zoom lately and did some research.

Though the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 VC comes with stabilisation, it seems that some reviews prefer the old Tamron 17-50mm non-vc. Anyone here has tried both and kind enough to share if the old version is a lot sharper?

The price of the Tamron 17-50mm VC seems quite close to the non-VC version at Technogadgets.com. One is at $365 and the non-VC at $354.

Last edited:
I personally have tried both the vc and non-vc versions, but it's for canon mount(so I am not sure if my comments are applicable to Nikon mount too)

After doing some test shots(in low light situations),i found the non-vc version to be of similar IQ to the vc version

But I have to say that my tests were not "professionally" done, just a few handheld snapshots

Interested to get a mid zoom lately and did some research.

Though the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 VC comes with stabilisation, it seems that some reviews prefer the old Tamron 17-50mm non-vc. Anyone here has tried both and kind enough to share if the old version is a lot sharper?

The price of the Tamron 17-50mm VC seems quite close to the non-VC version at Technogadgets.com. One is at $365 and the non-VC at $354.

tried both.. i would say the non-vc is sharper.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Will check it out at the stores. Very much attracted to the VC version for better stability, but non-VC seems sharper and slightly cheaper. May place an order soon!

Depending on the body you are using, the often preferred model is the old screw driven/non built in motor(obviously non vc) over the newer versions with built in motor(both with and without vc).

I have used the non bim version on a d80 & d300 for a couple of years, and found it to lock on focus a lot more quickly and generally feels more snappy compared to the bim(non vc) version my friend has.

The down side is you will have to get it used these days, and also live with the rather loud af whine. If it matters, the non bim version is also a more compact lens.

Went to test the Tamron 17-50mm VC before ordering from Technogadgets at $365. Also tested the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8.

End up buying the Made in Japan Sigma version instead as the AF is really silent and fast, with very sharp IQ. Guess time to close this thread!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Hi, where did you go to test both lenses and what price did you pay for the sigma 17-50mm? I've been eyeing that lens too.

Went to test the Tamron 17-50mm VC before ordering from Technogadgets at $365. Also tested the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8.

End up buying the Made in Japan Sigma version instead as the AF is really silent and fast, with very sharp IQ. Guess time to close this thread!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Hi Steel,
Can you give provide a sample pic from the Sigma lens? and confirm what was the selling price? Techno gadget do not provide the full 3 years warranty right?

You can test lenses at Cathay Photo, Alan Photo, Click! Max Photo, MSColor, etc. as long as you are keen to buy. Most shops have both lenses.

Hi, where did you go to test both lenses and what price did you pay for the sigma 17-50mm? I've been eyeing that lens too.

Techno gadget is export set so they only provide store warranty.

Hi Steel,
Can you give provide a sample pic from the Sigma lens? and confirm what was the selling price? Techno gadget do not provide the full 3 years warranty right?

Status
Not open for further replies.