Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 vs Sigma 18-50mm f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

longko

Sep 7, 2006
Balestier
The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 arrived today. Bought mine from shashinki.com and with Khoking help, I managed to pay RM1350 for it^^ (You can goto JB City Square, Maybank branch and diposit the money)

Tamron feels like lighter and better handling feel to me. But for build, I'll have to say Sigma.

With otc bro Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, I did some compare shots.

Lightning: room lighting with a 25watts energy saving bulb above subjects.

IMGP9152copy.jpg

IMGP9151copy.jpg

Thanks for the comparison. The Tamron does show some yellowish cast to me, don't you think? The Tamron is slightly sharper wide open at 50mm. Overall a nice lens I'd say.

on my monitor, sigma's better in color n contrast...
but have more distortion...

on F8 crop, looks like sigma's focus more on back, more detail on Coke n Mc D small black logo...

yes, agree. i thibk the Tamron is sharper on subject compare with Sigma.
I own the Sigma jz bcoz less noise while zoom/focus & with Macro but i feel that my Sigma is very soft. No matter, the subject still look soft.
Anybody have this b4 ? I use 40D. should i go CSC or SigmaSC to check?

I find the colors of sigma richer when I last used on autumn trees in Japan. Especially, maroon or red and the colors comes out better than what is seen. contrasty images.
Not too sharp I agreed. Well shown here by Longko.

otc

Thanks for the comparison. The Tamron does show some yellowish cast to me, don't you think? The Tamron is slightly sharper wide open at 50mm. Overall a nice lens I'd say.

On mine it show Tamron more greenish:bsmilie: (My screen is set to sRGB default) Ya Tamron is a sharper and cheaper lens. With direct P-TTL, tends to get the white exposure more under controled. So those doing event should consider Tamron.

on my monitor, sigma's better in color n contrast...
but have more distortion...

on F8 crop, looks like sigma's focus more on back, more detail on Coke n Mc D small black logo...

Sigma is brighter^^ K10D tends not to AF too well on dark color in center spot focus, that explains the F8 crop (spot on the pig's hat). I'd tested the Sigma and Tamron focus, both are quite accurate on ruler at 45 degree under good lighting.

yes, agree. i thibk the Tamron is sharper on subject compare with Sigma.
I own the Sigma jz bcoz less noise while zoom/focus & with Macro but i feel that my Sigma is very soft. No matter, the subject still look soft.
Anybody have this b4 ? I use 40D. should i go CSC or SigmaSC to check?

Try going the SigmaSC and has the lens checked. Sigma lens may have BF or FF problem^^;

I find the colors of sigma richer when I last used on autumn trees in Japan. Especially, maroon or red and the colors comes out better than what is seen. contrasty images.
Not too sharp I agreed. Well shown here by Longko.

otc

Sigma is a nice lens with macro^^ Did pretty well in the 1st may gathering event^^ 70% of the shots I was using Sigma 18-50mm f2.8^^
http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/zmoment/Events/080501 Earth Cafe Dogs/

The Tamron bokeh is better than the Sigma, which was what I was hoping for^^ That extra bit of bokeh will help isolate dogs better^^

The Sigma exhibits quite a bit more barrel distortion at the wide end. The exposures for the Sigma are a little longer that the Tamron, which might account for the snappier contrast. Typical Sigma warm yellowish cast while the Tamron seems cooler (but the difference might be slight if the exposures were kept the same). Overall the Sigma seems sharper but has more distortion. Thanks longko for the snaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.