Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 Non-VC on Nikon D90

jadfreak

Mar 28, 2011
hello everyone,

i am quite firm already in buying this lens for my camera. i just want to know if anyone
had used this lens before.

i) does it work perfectly with nikon d90?
ii) does it have that front/back focus issue?
iii) does the non-vc version a better lens than this one?

Last edited:
jadfreak said:
hello everyone,

i am quite firm already in buying this lens for my camera. i just want to know if anyone

1) Yes it does

2) depends on individual lens. Test before buying.
3) vc version is supposedly slower in focus and not as sharp. Not sure as I have not tested both the versions

3)

Last edited:
1) Yes it does

2) depends on individual lens. Test before buying.

3) is there a VC version?

sorry bro.. my mistake.. it's supposed to be 17-50mm.. i've updated my thread already. :D

jadfreak said:
sorry bro.. my mistake.. it's supposed to be 17-50mm.. i've updated my thread already. :D

Haha I have edited my ans as well

hello everyone,

i) sure can wokk
ii) Hmm you need to check it on the spot b4 buying, but It's quite easy
iii) Hmm some said non vc focus faster and sharper than vc..

in the end its up to u =)

i) sure can wokk
ii) Hmm you need to check it on the spot b4 buying, but It's quite easy
iii) Hmm some said non vc focus faster and sharper than vc..

in the end its up to u =)

thanks bro.. hopefully more will reply.. :D

reply on? I think the question you asked is pretty common also.. maybe you can do some searching also?

hello everyone,

Never used a VC version before. But mine non-VC non-BIM works great with my old D90.

reply on? I think the question you asked is pretty common also.. maybe you can do some searching also?

what i meant was many person with experience for both the VC and non-VC would reply so that they can verify the comparison of the 2 versions. :)

Well you can go advance search for "tamron vc vs non vc"

what i meant was many person with experience for both the VC and non-VC would reply so that they can verify the comparison of the 2 versions. :)

Well... this is from first hand experience.

I find both VC and non-VC almost the same... both in pic quality and in focusing speed. I do not have a scientify test to test them and there are no values to quantify my finding... only guts feel.

Anyway, if I was to choose, I would definitely go for the VC one... I like the VC. Many would advise you that for a maximum focal length of 50mm... there really is no need for VC. But to say the true, it really depend on your holding and breathing techniques most of the time... but there are moments when you need additional support because you might be shooting at low speed... this often happen at night or in dimly lit places whereby flash are not allow and even with pumping up of the ISO... you still cannot achieve good enough shutter speed.

So VC helps alot...

And don't worried about noisy focusing (not the photographic term, but noise that you hear), out in the opening, nobody is gonna be bother by the noisy focusing.

Well for the 17-50 i wish i had the screw driven version previously. My BIM model last time could not AF in live view at all, and is luck dependant. Some experience it, some don't. But sometimes when u need it, u wish it could af in liveview. I believe non bim version will AF faster but i have no proof to that. Using a 12-24 tokina screw driven and i personally i feel AF slightly faster than my previous tamron BIM.. jus my 2 cents. Cheers.

The challenge is getting a copy. They dun sell this model anymore off the shelf. Either buy from another user or 2nd hand camera shop.

The challenge is getting a copy. They dun sell this model anymore off the shelf. Either buy from another user or 2nd hand camera shop.

I have one, selling it... ;P But it got reserved before it got to BnS...

daredevil123 said:
I bought it on BnS too... recently... needed it for the 2nd shooter for a shoot. So just bought, used, now let go..

I traded my BIM version for a 28-75mm dun think I wanna go back anymore. Haha
Just rented and tried out a 17-55mm Nikon. Dunno if my pictures painted me a wrong idea, I find my ttl flash is more accurate when using the Nikon lens than my tamron lens. I should do a more detailed test if I have the chance.

i think better go with Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS if u have the budget....
faster focusing speed ...