tamron 17-50

dark cloud

Jun 5, 2010
just bought a tamron 17-50, the focal length ring cannot be turned unless i put onto my d3s
is this normal?

i have the same lens... not sure what you mean by focal length ring (for zooming or focusing?), but the zoom ring turns smoothly regardless it's mounted or not. the focus ring should move freely once the camera is set to manual focus. if it's not mounted the focus ring on the lens should be able turn freely.

referring to the zooming , i can't zoom unless its mouted to my cam

is the zoom lock engaged?

referring to the zooming , i can't zoom unless its mouted to my cam

hmmm... should not have this problem, the zoom ring will work even if not mounted.
anyway, why would you buy a 17-50 for D3S?

hmmm... should not have this problem, the zoom ring will work even if not mounted.
anyway, why would you buy a 17-50 for D3S?

hmm isn't the 17-50mm meant for APS-C sized sensors or smaller? The D3S is a full frame right?

TS, please do not spam or cross-post the same topic across the forum.

Maybe because when you're holding the lens, you're not holding the the base (the part where the mount is fixed)

Try to hold on to the base then the other hand on the zoom ring

i have a 17-50.

its just very tight la. the zoom ring.
let me give you a famous quote:
"brute force. If it doesn't work, it means you're not using enough"

just bought a tamron 17-50, the focal length ring cannot be turned unless i put onto my d3s
is this normal?

OMG.. u got a D3s and u know u are doing the cam injustice by using a lens meant for cropped sensor? :bsmilie:

Btw never heard of such problem.. when u got ur lens, didnt u try it at the shop that zooming is smooth prior to mounting on cam?

Last edited:
the zoom ring needs a bit of "exercise" to... er hmm... loosen up.

My 17-50 zoom ring is smooth but a bit tight. After using it for almost a year it is still a bit tight. At least I don't get zoom creep at all.

I doubt any lens is designed to have such stiff zoom ring. So i'm certain there is a problem here and should be sent in for service.

As for the reason why TS can turn the zoom ring when mounted on cam, is probably because the lens is now "anchored" and only one direction's force is required.

d3s + tamron 17-50

you bought a DX format lens for a FF camera? faint.

i don't see how attaching lens to camera enables the zoom ring, there is nothing in the attachment process that might affect the zoom ring. duh..

Maybe he thinks that the D3000 and D3s are the same lah:nono:

Maybe he thinks that the D3000 and D3s are the same lah:nono:

Oh... D3K you mean? Maybe he upgraded from D300s to a D3s and kept both bodies. D3s will convert the image to DX format when it detects a DX lens rite? Just that you wont be utilising the sensor fully for optimum image quality. :think: