Tamron 17-50 VC

Khairi Noorazha

Feb 26, 2012
Anyone has a copy of the above mentioned lens? You guys mind sharing bout it? Cause im comparing it to a sigma 17-50 os.

I have tried the Tamron 17-50 Non-VC but not the Sigma

you can also consider the Tamron 17-50 Non-VC.

In my opinion, the IQ is equal yet cheaper....I feel VC isn't crucial at this focal range

Read quite a bit of reviews during the period of time when I chose a 17-50, finally settled down with Sigma. Non-VC version of Tamron is sharper than the VC (at least all reviews I've read is like this...). If you see no difference between any of these Tamron 17-50 vs Tamron 17-50 VC vs Sigma 17-50 OS, get the one that fits your budget. I will recommend the Tamron 17-50 VC version if you really see no diff between them. Cheaper than Sigma...

Personally, I feel that if you need image stabilizer functionality, you will need it. Esp so when shooting in low light shooting where your shutter speed can get "dangerously" high and this is where the IS/OS/VC features comes in.

Many reviews point to the Non-VC as a better option in terms of IQ & focussing...I have not tried the VC version before but I do own the Non-VC previously.The former is much bigger in build & weight but the latter is smaller in size.IQ in the Non-VC version is alright & focussing speed is acceptable.As for the Sigma 17-50,i have heard good reviews about it.Maybe you can consider renting both compare which you prefer or go BnS section get a 2nd hand one & try out.If you are not happy,can always resell...Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks for your short reviews guys. How about its performance? Does the tamron really make a noisy sound when autofocusing?

Go to youtube's tutorial & check it out for yourself.though I must admit it sure focuses with some slight noises but personally,I think I still can live with it,I do not kno abt others...

It's slightly louder then my kit efs 18-55

Thanks for your short reviews guys. How about its performance? Does the tamron really make a noisy sound when autofocusing?

Not that noisy. and after 2 mins, I do not notice it anymore. Do note that the sigma is a lot more expensive. So different class of lens all together.

Yeah sigma 200-300 more than the Tamron.

I am using 17-50 VC, autofocusing have a little motor sound and it don't really irritate me and DO NOT CAUSE any problem with the picture I took. I have compare to Non VC and the image is much better than Non- VC, not super much I can said. Of course there is no way to compare to own nikon, canon or Sony lens. No regrets on getting a VC, very useful when I come to low lights.

I am using 17-50 VC, autofocusing have a little motor sound and it don't really irritate me and DO NOT CAUSE any problem with the picture I took. I have compare to Non VC and the image is much better than Non- VC, not super much I can said. Of course there is no way to compare to own nikon, canon or Sony lens. No regrets on getting a VC, very useful when I come to low lights.

Actually, the non-VC has been shown to be optically better than the VC version. Either the copy you tried has issues, or it comes down to user error...

Agree, read somewhere that non-VC version is better than the VC version.

I have got one tamron 17-50mm VC version it works well..But just when focus the whole screen is vibrate.. ( dont know why )

Cannot comment on Sigma, but Tamron non-VC works well. The sound of AF motor is negligible, outside I don't even hear anything. The lens is sharp at f/4 and it's my general purpose lens. To me it's a safe buy to upgrade the kit lens.

I use the Tamron 17-50mm non-VC version as well.

It is cheap and represents a lot of value. If you have the cash, I'd recommend the Sigma though.

Agree, I'm also using the 17-50mm non-vc and it works beautifully.

I have got one tamron 17-50mm VC version it works well..But just when focus the whole screen is vibrate.. ( dont know why )

IIRC I read from somewhere, that's because of the VC setting in.

and I'm using the non VC version also, so far so good =)

So the 'VC' doesnt really help in low light? When shutter speed is low?

Khairi Noorazha said:
So the 'VC' doesnt really help in low light? When shutter speed is low?

VC helps with handshakes but doesn't help with motion blurs