Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 vs 18-200VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdOkH

Dec 20, 2004
Tam Pines
Hi guys,
need some input from you all... Anyone has any comments on the above lens? My thinking is this, with the 18-200 vr, can it compensate for the f-stop in the tamron one? Im more into night photography, handheld.
I will be getting the 18-200 vr but will it be a waste to get the tamron one too?? If the vr can take reasonable pictures as compared to the tamron, then i will give the tamron a pass liao...

it be good if u have pictures to compare...

Thnz a lot in advance... ;)

The glasses have different mileage and you're compring apple with orange really.

If you're compring sunkist orange with another orange or fuji apple with another apple, then it's easier to compare.

Else the mileage, usage, design is totally different.

Eg: AF-S 17-35 vs AF-S 70-200VR - how to compare? Different class.

agreed with both ESPN and Markccm 's replies about the comparing..

If given the choice to buy.. i think i buy 18-200vr

EdOkH said:
Hi guys,
need some input from you all... Anyone has any comments on the above lens? My thinking is this, with the 18-200 vr, can it compensate for the f-stop in the tamron one? Im more into night photography, handheld.

They're pretty different. Faster f-stop allows u to stop action, slower f-stop with vr will not. Also, faster f-stop allows you to have shallow depth of field, while slower f-stop will have deeper depth of field.

espn said:
The glasses have different mileage and you're compring apple with orange really.

If you're compring sunkist orange with another orange or fuji apple with another apple, then it's easier to compare.

Else the mileage, usage, design is totally different.

Eg: AF-S 17-35 vs AF-S 70-200VR - how to compare? Different class.
Hello.. 18-200 lah! not 70-200!

To EdOkH: Anyway, 1 stop difference and 1mm at the wide end, you could well get by with just the 18-200 if you don't need the extra stop.

Then again, you could always get the 17-55/2.8 later when you need that extra stop.
However, for night handheld photography, you might be better off with a 28/1.4, 50/1.4 and an 85/1.4. :)

lsisaxon said:
Hello.. 18-200 lah! not 70-200!

To EdOkH: Anyway, 1 stop difference and 1mm at the wide end, you could well get by with just the 18-200 if you don't need the extra stop.

Then again, you could always get the 17-55/2.8 later when you need that extra stop.
However, for night handheld photography, you might be better off with a 28/1.4, 50/1.4 and an 85/1.4. :)

Ya.. im using it for night shoot and during holiday, i dun bring tripod along so i think the 2.8 would reali come in handy but not got the 18-200 vr, im wondering if tt can compensate for it. :dunno:

I have the tamron 28-75 f2.8, find the 28mm not wide enough... I did thought of selling my tamron away and get the sigma 18-50mm f2.8 to solve this issue...then i would not have any lens tt cover 51-69mm...

Thnz...

dAoNi said:
Weird that ESPN nv say BBB for both.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Cannot.. wait tio PM say I BBB too much :nono:

EdOkH said:
Ya.. im using it for night shoot and during holiday, i dun bring tripod along so i think the 2.8 would reali come in handy but not got the 18-200 vr, im wondering if tt can compensate for it. :dunno:

I have the tamron 28-75 f2.8, find the 28mm not wide enough... I did thought of selling my tamron away and get the sigma 18-50mm f2.8 to solve this issue...then i would not have any lens tt cover 51-69mm...

Thnz...
You may get by with it by using a slightly higher ISO. At the wider end, the VR will probably allow you to hand hold to about 1/8s with reasonable results on a D70s and probably 1/4s on a D200. Reason is D70s mirror vibration is quite significant and during the mirror up inertia, it affects the VR a little. You may get by with an ISO of 800.

Status
Not open for further replies.