tamrom 90 mm f2.8 macro or canon 85 mm 1.8

perspectives101

Dec 25, 2010
hi guys,

im quite new to photography, but have been putting my 550D to pretty regular use with the kit lens. as per the title, i was wondering if anyone has any experience with both the lenses in the title?

im only looking at these 2 lenses. um, i understand that most people would see these 2 lenses for different primary uses, one for macro, one for portraiture. what i want to know is, how is the tamrom for street photography? cos im quite interested in street photography, and ive seen stunning headshot photos shot with the canon lens. (which is something my kit lens cant reach with its more limited zoom, unless i stand very close to my subject)

but at the same time, the tamrom will allow me to do macro photography, which looks pretty interesting too (but thats a second priority). so, imo its like killing 2 birds with 1 stone? sorry if im asking a stupid question, because many people say macro lenses are good for portraiture, are usually razor sharp, good bokeh...

so... anyone with these lenses, particularly the tamrom one, any advice?

thanks!

Main question here is do you need the f1.8 and a fast AF speed. Macro lenses usually focus slower than normal lenses, so it's something you have to take note of. It's not THAT bad at AF, but it's definitely slower than the 85/1.8 USM.

hi thanks for the quick reply!

hmm yeah i guess the AF is pretty important if you want to catch that street shot, but has anyone used the AF for the tamrom for other shots other than macro? dont mind can share how it feels like? i can totally imagine how frustrating it will be if its focusing and then the moment is gone, but what are your experiences so far? (unless you dont shoot anything else with your macro lens lah)

I don't have either lenses but i have heard complains on the tamron that it's AF is noisy and slow.

hi thanks for the quick reply!

hmm yeah i guess the AF is pretty important if you want to catch that street shot, but has anyone used the AF for the tamrom for other shots other than macro? dont mind can share how it feels like? i can totally imagine how frustrating it will be if its focusing and then the moment is gone, but what are your experiences so far? (unless you dont shoot anything else with your macro lens lah)

I don't own or use the Tamron 90mm Macro, but generally macro lenses focus slower than normal lenses.

the tamron 90 can be use as a good portrait lens if you don't mind the slow AF... otherwise, it's sharp and value for money, and it sort of 2 birds with 1 stone for you can use it for macro as well... Whereas for 85 1.8... well... it's a dedicated portrait lens, fast AF, great bokeh. had it when i was still using canon then, great stuff and very recommended. Either way, you are fine :)

the 85/f1.8 focus damn fast. for streets, it will definitely aid in bagging more keeper shots.

i would definitely go for the 85 1.8, since ya mention streets as a primary,

u can check out if can use a raynox on the 85 1.8 than it did be a cheap option if u wanna do macro...

if in doubt just get both, second hand, u save quite a bit... not happy with either, can sell off at minimal loss...

I like the Tamron. :) in Macro shots you'll normally use the MF anyway. Don't be lazy! :p

And I guess the 85mm is more suited for the FF SLRs.

For street photog on your cam go for the 35/50mm. :)

Last edited:
I like the Tamron. :) in Macro shots you'll normally use the MF anyway. Don't be lazy! :p

And I guess the 85mm is more suited for the FF SLRs.

For street photog on your cam go for the 35/50mm. :)

primes are really based on individual preferences. we cant really tell TS to buy which lens for his style of street photography. only he himself knows best.

tecnica said:
primes are really based on individual preferences. we cant really tell TS to buy which lens for his style of street photography. only he himself knows best.

Tis true good sir, tis true.