Tamrac Adventure 9 vs Lowepro CompuRover AW

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonchia

Jan 25, 2005
Any comments about these 2? Both fit my specs for a notebook/camera backpack. Some say Tamrac better built than Lowepro. Some say Tamrac padding much thinner than Lowerpro.

Both are good bags... i think tamrac doesnt have a rain coat.

Tamrac 9 is third camera, third laptop and third for other equipment or things.. Tamrac 9 no tripod holder and i think is quite heavey almost 2kg without anything inside.. but the Tamrac looks better i reckon.

Oh the lowepro is quite comfy to carry aswell. even with a laptop and HDV camera inside.

Just my 2cents.

Any comments about these 2? Both fit my specs for a notebook/camera backpack. Some say Tamrac better built than Lowepro. Some say Tamrac padding much thinner than Lowerpro.

Go try both... Don't rely on "some say"...

They can say all they want until the cows come home...

As with any brand, there will ALWAYS be pros and cons...

where to try the 2 side by side?

Try TK Foto in Shaw Towers. :thumbsup:

I was also deciding between these 2 bags. TK Foto had both. Service is great; they're happy to let you take the bags out from their plastic packaging, and let you try them on. :thumbsup:

Here's my $0.02 worth:

CompuRover AW:
-Has AW cover and tripod holder.
-Many small pockets for little accessories, but side mesh pockets are useless.
-Bigger, and with padded waist strap (removable)
-Bottom (camera) compartment is not so easy to open because of its square shape, but once open equipment won't drop out (try it and you'll understand)
-Costs about $10-15 more than the Tamrac

Tamrac Adventure 9:
-Water-resistant nylon and rainflaps, enough to protect equipment in light rain. Lash tabs at the bottom, can be used for tripod.
-Not as many small pockets for accessories, but very usable side mesh pockets.
-Not as large as CompuRover. Waist strap is not padded, but is also very unobstrusive.
-Bottom (camera) comparment unzips very smoothly, but flap opens to completely expose the camera compartment. So it can be a little risky trying to grab some equipment without first lying the bag down (try it yourself and you'll see what I mean...)
-Slightly cheaper than the CompuRover

(I think the two are about the same in weight, though I might be mistaken.)

I wanted something that's big enough to hold all my lenses (including a 400mm prime that's 20cm long), plus a laptop, plus space on top for other stuff. I intend to use it as carry-on luggage on my travels, but I also want to use it for day-to-day shooting. So it had to be spacious, but not so huge that I'll look like a Ninja Turtle on the MRT. ;p

In the end I bought the Tamrac, and bought a small (20-30L) raincover from an outdoor shop, for use in very bad weather. The CompuRover is nice, and would be fine for carry-on luggage, but I found it way too big for day-to-day shooting...

At the end of the day, you'll need to figure out why you are buying the bag, and what you are using it for. To each his/her own... :cool:

Melee, thats a brief, concise and very helpful comparison: thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.