tammy quirk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wurdelak

Apr 7, 2009
westcoast
www.flickr.com
hi to all, i have a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 nikon mount... i'm using it for day shots at the most, in a few ocassions though, i have to shoot using the tammy in a low light situation. i noticed that the AF is damn slow... sometimes, i cant even get the shots i want because by the moment it can AF, the subject has gone, or blocked, etc... so, i have to turn the AF off to make a fast enough shot. newbie question here... is it a normal behaviour of the tamron 17-50? or is there somethin wrong with my lens? educate me please... thanks!:)

Last edited:
Which Nikon body are u using the Tamron lens with??

Check out the subforum of Tamron, there should stated that one of the major lacking of this lens is hunting in low light, slow AF

hi bro, tnx for the attention... am using a nikon D60!
i tried this combi out before.. the AF is really slow!! So, i think its normal..

I've not tried the Tamron with my D90, so i cant comment if its the lens itself or the D60 body.

I have also tried the kit lens with D60 and the AF is slow too, so my personal guess is the D60 body itself. But its just a personal guess.

hmmm... i've also been using the 55-200mm vr on my D60 and it focuses fast enough (i usually do candid street shots) even in lowlight scenarios...:think:

it is normal...

if this is the case, like from what i've read just now about tammy reviews and discussions here... can you recommend any lens of about the same range, that can AF faster in lowlight? no 1k plus lens please, coz with that budget in hand, i would just choose to add a bit more $ to upgrade my camera body.;)

if this is the case, like from what i've read just now about tammy reviews and discussions here... can you recommend any lens of about the same range, that can AF faster in lowlight? no 1k plus lens please, coz with that budget in hand, i would just choose to add a bit more $ to upgrade my camera body.;)
The Nikon AF-S 17-55 f/2.8 is definitely out. Then, the best u can try with budget less than 1k is maybe the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM though i'm not too sure of its performance..

The Nikon AF-S 17-55 f/2.8 is definitely out. Then, the best u can try with budget less than 1k is maybe the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM though i'm not too sure of its performance..

any idea on the price for this lens bro, i prefer the one with OS... got shakey hands here... hehe!;)

macro HSM is pricey bro... the OS HSM version is USD299 in adorama... am a bit confused though... is the OS HSM and the macro HSM the same?:embrass:

macro HSM is pricey bro... the OS HSM version is USD299 in adorama... am a bit confused though... is the OS HSM and the macro HSM the same?:embrass:
haha.. i'm not too sure.. maybe the RRP in Sigma's website is wrong??

anyway, i just saw a used Sigma HSM for $550 here... worth a try..
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513815

haha.. i'm not too sure.. maybe the RRP in Sigma's website is wrong??

anyway, i just saw a used Sigma HSM for $550 here... worth a try..
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513815
I would skip the Sigma if I were you.The Sigma has a disgusting colour cast.The Tamron is much better and has IQ which rivals the Nikon 17-55

I would skip the Sigma if I were you.The Sigma has a disgusting colour cast.The Tamron is much better and has IQ which rivals the Nikon 17-55

thanks for the opinion bro... have you tried the tammy on a D90 or a higher end cam body?i'd like to know how it works with them....

Depending on how dim. in anycase, if it's that dark, usually AF assist from an external flash is needed regardless of which brand and lens.
(I need to say this becos a friend of mine tried to shoot in complete darkness and then asked how come SLR has no advantage over his former PnS cammy. i duh...)
The Tamron with the built in motor is supposedly slower than the one without (but which works only for D80 and above)

for sake of comparing with the nikon 17-55/f2.8.
it's no comparison, the nikon 17-55/2.8 exhibits much less distortions. have to pay a premium for that relative low level of distortions.

thanks for the opinion bro... have you tried the tammy on a D90 or a higher end cam body?i'd like to know how it works with them....

using the tammy with D80, in dim lite enviroment, the lens AF is slow and sometimes cant lock AF. easily overcome with focus assist from external flash SB600.

Status
Not open for further replies.