Talk on war photography today

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebastiansong

Staff member
Jan 20, 2002
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Ok I am not Capa or Nachtwey but just giving an overview on war photography this evening... the good thing is there will be a good number of photojournalistic books on display. They are part of the reference collection which cannot be borrowed but you are free to browse them within the library's premises. The talk is part of the library's efforts to promote awareness for its collection.

War and its varying interpretations of the United States of America

In today’s environment war preoccupies the mind and property. This forum aims to explore the idea and concept of war in a historical perspective.

Three presentations shall cover differing aspects of war, including Japanese remembrance of war, war photography and finally the impact of war in defining US sovereignty.

Each segment lasts about 20 minutes.

1) The first presentation will be delivered by Assistant Professor Barry D. Steben, Dept. of Japanese Studies, FAculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore. Prof. Steben’s talk will explore war within the Japanese context and its broader implications for Asia.

2) The second presenter, Sebastian Song of the National Library Board, will discuss the transformation and relevance of war photography. He will refer to works available to the public through the National Reference Library and highlight key web sites covering the topic.

3) The final presenter, Ian Patrick Austin of the National Library Board, will examine the importance of war in defining US identity and sovereignty. He looks at how modern America was founded and forged through wars - the civil war, the two World Wars, the War in Vietnam and most recently, the three Middle Eastern conflicts.

As the key security provider within East Asia, does the war on terror represent a continuation, or a break, from US traditions on war; or does the US dominance of power in its various forms, contribute to or detract from international stability?

Admission is free. All are welcome.

Tuesday, 9 September 2003
7.00 pm
Student Resource Centre
National Reference Library

sebastiansong

Staff member
Jan 20, 2002
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Wai said:
hmmm...so you will be the 2nd presenter?

what time the event will end?
The event is suppose to start at 7 and end around 8
The library closes at 9 so everyone has to leave around 8-ish...

I will hang around though

sebastiansong

Staff member
Jan 20, 2002
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Larry said:
waaaah sebsong famous liao.... will you sign my tripod pls? :D
just sharing what little I know but not at the scale of Larry who hosts fortnightly gathering for photography enthusiasts.

Furthermore I no budget not like Larry whose generosity and wealth allows him to buy Tiger beer and BCM for all the participants. :thumbsup:

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
sebastiansong said:
just sharing what little I know but not at the scale of Larry who hosts fortnightly gathering for photography enthusiasts.

Furthermore I no budget not like Larry whose generosity and wealth allows him to buy Tiger beer and BCM for all the participants. :thumbsup:
:faint: :faint: :faint:

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
sebastiansong said:
2) The second presenter, Sebastian Song of the National Library Board, will discuss the transformation and relevance of war photography. He will refer to works available to the public through the National Reference Library and highlight key web sites covering the topic.
Good luck on your talk. :thumbsup:

sebastiansong

Staff member
Jan 20, 2002
Singapore
www.pbase.com
The talk will touch briefly on the following

1)Adrenaline. Fear. Survival
The three important aspects of the war photographer

2)Double-edgedness of images
How the Americans embraced photography during WWII which led to the Photographer's War, i.e., Vietnam syndrome.

3)Landscapes of Apocalypse
Will we forever be haunted by images of suffering and destruction?

4)Ethics
Is photojournalism just about the generation of awareness.
When does the photographer become a humanitarian?
Can the professional and human side coexist?

5)Websites
Learn to conduct further research.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
actually i might be free this evening... might pop over to pose some difficult questions to and take some snapshots of the 2nd speaker... :devil: :D

sebastiansong

Staff member
Jan 20, 2002
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Larry said:
actually i might be free this evening... might pop over to pose some difficult questions to and take some snapshots of the 2nd speaker... :devil: :D
:dunno: where was Larry?

:nono: good thing Larry didnt show up otherwise I would definitely invite him to join the panel of speakers.

btw I became the first speaker and must apologise to those who came in late on the assumption that I am the second speaker...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom