Taking wedding photos need CPL filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

myojo

Feb 4, 2010
hi
i am very new to photography.
This sunday i am goiong to help my friend's photo taking.
its indoor wedding.
i am going to use the following equipments

Nikon D300s
Lens : Nikon 50mm 1.4 AFS
Nikon 18-105mm (kit lens)
Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 DX

So far i have no UV filter in my bag.
so, any suggestion if i need Polarized filter for indoor (dinner) wedding?
if yes, can you advice for which lens (from above list) should i get CPL?
Thank you very much.

hi
its indoor wedding.

Nikon D300s
Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 DX

Thank you very much.
any reason you need a CPL filter for your shots? if no, don't use.

no. for a newbie, you do own a serioussets of stuff..fantastic

short answer - depends.
long answer - i think the answer to that question lies in what do you use the CPL filter for? CPL is not an outdoor filter though its general usage is being used in the outdoors. CPL can be used anywhere (even indoors) to reduce or enhance reflection on glass or similar surfaces. So whether to use it or not depends on the effects that you want to achieve. However, do note that CPL does reduce the light entering your lens, hence requiring a longer shutter speed at any given moment than if you do not have the CPL on.

As the veterans in this forum have always noted, it is amazing how much people trust another person who is very new to photography to take their wedding pictures on the basis of the cameras they owned. :think: But who am i to comment? :dunno:

Have fun.:sweat:

short answer - depends.
long answer - i think the answer to that question lies in what do you use the CPL filter for? CPL is not an outdoor filter though its general usage is being used in the outdoors. CPL can be used anywhere (even indoors) to reduce or enhance reflection on glass or similar surfaces. So whether to use it or not depends on the effects that you want to achieve. However, do note that CPL does reduce the light entering your lens, hence requiring a longer shutter speed at any given moment than if you do not have the CPL on.

As the veterans in this forum have always noted, it is amazing how much people trust another person who is very new to photography to take their wedding pictures on the basis of the cameras they owned. :think: But who am i to comment? :dunno:

Have fun.:sweat:
LOL for a friend maybe? or just helping out relative as spare backup nia. dun think too much abt it;)

LOL for a friend maybe? or just helping out relative as spare backup nia. dun think too much abt it;)

haha....maybe I think too much.....LOL

But if there's an opportunity to shoot as a backup or as an additional photographer, it is a great way to learn about wedding photography. :)

no needdddddddd...

Learn what a CPL filter is for and then you will have the answer already.

Since u mentioned indoor, then no need.

Some might might wan to use it(or ND) for outdoor wedding, using a circular polarizing filter can provide richer color and cut glare and shiny highlights on your subject.

Or to cut the amount of light for flash photography to achieve dof at wide open (or wider apertures) when u are limited to ur flash sync speed (e.g max sync : 1/250)

:)

maybe the bride is very hawt?

:bsmilie:

Maybe 3 UV filter to protect your lens more useful for now

New to pohotography .. we cannot say dont use, maybe the friend already have another more pro ... this is supplement ... keke

Anyway, everybody have to start some where haha ...
No worries, photography only hobby to me ... will never steal the pro's rice bowl ..

But recent times, notice alot of peeps taking it up to make extra money ... :cool:

You need to consider to get a speed light and spare body

CPL is the last you need to consider

i think wedding photoshoots are fantastic way to learn photography...
the subjects and story behind the photos are obvious and the subjects are always ready to take pics (unlike street photography)

there is no need to be mean when someone is trying to learn something;.

hi
its indoor wedding.

Nikon D300s
Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 DX

Thank you very much.

I would suggest that you have to explain clearly to your friend your level of expertise and experience and as well as your portfolio on event shoot. This is to set the level of expectation right between you and your friend.

I may not be very experience but one of the challenge of indoor shoot is a lack of sufficient light and this will result in blur photos or photos with lots of noise (high ISO).

My guess is that you will probably be using the 18-105 a lot more than the other 2 lenses because this is the range that you will probably be shooting a lot at and there is probably won't be any time for you to change your lens.

50 f1.4 is a great lens, sharp, fast and nice bokeh but with a fixed focus, you will become the zooming by moving forward and backward. Quite a challenge in a tight space, for an event with things that will keep happening and you won't want to miss the shots.

11-16 wide angle lens. err... is your friend ok with distorted photos? Probably great for photos with the intended distorted effect and as well as capturing everyone in a tight space.

You definitely do not want to have a blur photos of something very important that happen only once. Highly recommended that you get an add-on flash with a good diffuser. Nothing else matter if you can't get sharp photos (of your subject).

PS. suggest that you look through as many AD wedding photo as possible to get ideas for your shots.
PPS. ask your friend to give you a big ang bao so that you can get an add-on flash and save your money on the cpl filter for the time being.

Last edited:
i think wedding photoshoots are fantastic way to learn photography...
the subjects and story behind the photos are obvious and the subjects are always ready to take pics (unlike street photography)

there is no need to be mean when someone is trying to learn something;.
really? at the expense of what?

I understand every newbie photographer love to shoot a wedding, and every wedding couple want to save some money in whatever possible way..

so if the wedding couple is looking for a cheap alternative, and put their only hope on a newbie photographer, guess what will happen? a happily ever after story?

even if the wedding couple already have official (experience) photographer, either paid or none paid, with a newbie photographer around, it will affect everybody defiantly.

the only better way to learn is to tag along seasoned wedding photographer and work under his guidance.

Last edited:
haha....maybe I think too much.....LOL

But if there's an opportunity to shoot as a backup or as an additional photographer, it is a great way to learn about wedding photography. :)

Haha. I once attended a friend's wedding where nearly everyone brought cameras... except me (coz I read here in CS, not nice.. just go enjoy the wedding, etc). A couple of them rented DSLR, etc. Moral of the story? Next time dun care liao... carry DSLR along :sweat:

I gave up on shooting friend's wedding after 1 attempt....

Too many cameras there.... there were 2 official photographers, 1 official videographer, , guy's best friend photographer, gal's best friend photographer, 2 bo liao just bought SLR camera ppl shooting (me included), 2-3 more sisters with camera....

I counted 9 cameras all trying to squeeze into 1 room to take a similar looking picture... argh... will never forget how gross it is for so many ppl to squeeze together.... ;p Not to mention everybody's flash interfering with everyone else's picture.... hahaha.... ;p

I gave up on shooting friend's wedding after 1 attempt....

Too many cameras there.... there were 2 official photographers, 1 official videographer, , guy's best friend photographer, gal's best friend photographer, 2 bo liao just bought SLR camera ppl shooting (me included), 2-3 more sisters with camera....

I counted 9 cameras all trying to squeeze into 1 room to take a similar looking picture... argh... will never forget how gross it is for so many ppl to squeeze together.... ;p Not to mention everybody's flash interfering with everyone else's picture.... hahaha.... ;p

Practise makes perfect. Try josling around space in one of these... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.