Taking the plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.

intensify

Oct 20, 2005
always been interested in photography and wish to take the plunge by switching to a dslr. however i have never touched a dslr =\ and prob know nuts about it. so i wish to read up more on photography and all. any books/websites specially for teaching newbies like me about switching to dslrs? apart from those already posted in the photography resources thread.

thanks.

Don't think so much, just do it!

espn said:
Don't think so much, just do it!
Hahaha.. espn and his BBB thinking ^_^
*feels sorry for intensify"

Well, if you believe you have the will to learn more about photography, the passion to shoot even better photos, and last but not least, feel limited by your current digital camera... YES get a DSLR!

intensify said:
always been interested in photography and wish to take the plunge by switching to a dslr. however i have never touched a dslr =\ and prob know nuts about it. so i wish to read up more on photography and all. any books/websites specially for teaching newbies like me about switching to dslrs? apart from those already posted in the photography resources thread.

thanks.

Hi, glad to hear of your interest in photography. First off, you gotto know what you usually take photographs of, and what are you using right now. I always recommend going to the national library to borrow books on photography. Some other websites here, which are interesting are:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

http://www.nyip.com/

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d50/index.shtml

http://dpreview.com/

Actually, you could also join a photography course, where you can probably borrow a SLR for the lessons. That is perhaps the best way to learn about photography before taking the plunge in getting your own systems. Also you could also look at what your family/friends are using, and ask them to let you try out the cameras before deciding. It's not just which DSLR system is good, but rather which one you feel most comfortable with.

Personally, I stick with the Nikon systems cause my firneds are using it, and I already had a film SLR before I bought the Nikon D50, so that I could continue to use the lenses I have. Nikon, is pretty reliable, so are most of the common brands.

Anyway, if you have any questions, do feel free to ask here in this forum. We will try our best to help one another.

thanks all! :)

intensify said:
thanks all! :)

Hey, isn't life is about learning new things. It is just like learning any other things in life; computers, bicycling, driving a car, flying a plane, mathematics, gourmet cooking, etc.

Hesitation and fear are the greatest barriers you can give to yourself. What do you have to loose? Just borrow one from your friend and fiddle with it.

intensify said:

thanks.

Whether it's DSLR or a compact digicam, the same principles of photograhy applies and it's no different.

The only major difference between the 2 is that DSLR gives you much more options to play with and thereby allows more room for creativity.

The downside for DSLR is of course the costs. Be prepared to sink in at least $2K-$3K for the body and some basic lenses.

If cost is not a concern, then go for DSLR. The learning curve is similar to learning to use the manual mode of compact cameras.

If cost is a concern, then it's better to start with a prosumer camera with a 8x-12x optical zoom and full manual control, costing about $700-$1000.

mm. thanks for advising. any prosumers to recommend then?

Clockunder said:
Whether it's DSLR or a compact digicam, the same principles of photograhy applies and it's no different.

The only major difference between the 2 is that DSLR gives you much more options to play with and thereby allows more room for creativity.

The downside for DSLR is of course the costs. Be prepared to sink in at least $2K-$3K for the body and some basic lenses.

If cost is not a concern, then go for DSLR. The learning curve is similar to learning to use the manual mode of compact cameras.

If cost is a concern, then it's better to start with a prosumer camera with a 8x-12x optical zoom and full manual control, costing about $700-$1000.

How about a used Fuji S5500 with warranty...hehe...was a great camera for me to learn the basics and now I feel its time for me to step up. If you are quite sure you will take photography as a long term hobby...might as well get a DSLR is you can afford it...

Clockunder said:

after 2k-3k sink in for basic, u will be ready to sink in another 2k-3k for lens only...(not jokin) :nono:
becareful man...
A p/s will be useful then. cost? <1k. :)

intensify said:
mm. thanks for advising. any prosumers to recommend then?

Check out some used prosumer cameras on sale at buy/sell section.

Look out for Nikon 8700/8800, Canon Powershot S1 or S2 IS or Panasonic Lumix FZ5, FZ20 or FZ30.

I think a brand new Canon Powershot S2 IS costs less than $1K and a brand new Panasonic FZ5 would cost less than $800, all package including the essentials like extra battery and memory card.

The Canon Powershot S2 IS seems to be the most popular while from the reviews, the Panasonic FZ series seem to have a slightly higher noise in pictures taken.

jnet6 said:
after 2k-3k sink in for basic, u will be ready to sink in another 2k-3k for lens only...(not jokin) :nono:
becareful man...
A p/s will be useful then. cost? <1k. :)

I think a lot of newbies look at only the $1.5K-$2K costs of the body and the kit lens when they buy DSLR.

They didn't realise that good lenses to cover the range are going to cost more than the body.

ortega said:
don't underestimate the D70s kit lens

It's good but it doesn't satisfy the situations in which we need very long zoom. ..... such as in action sports, concert/autograph events, etc. where we can't and should not be too close to the subject.

Clockunder said:
It's good but it doesn't satisfy the situations in which we need very long zoom. ..... such as in action sports, concert/autograph events, etc. where we can't and should not be too close to the subject.
er... you can walk closer...

with a prosumer you also need to walk mah?
or you can buy budget lens, after all it is not your rice bowl mah?
if you have too much money then of course, buy buy buy

intensify said:

thanks.

If you are into some serious photography, I'd suggest you pick up a DSLR and not waste time and money on a Prosumer. Costs might be high but satisfying. Start with the kit lens and upgrade slowly once you think you can shoot better. Type of lens you buy also depends on which kinda photography you are into (e.g. portraits, lanscape, macro, etc.)

Btw, I switched from a S2 to a D70 in 6 months time.

Cheers

ortega said:
er... you can walk closer...

with a prosumer you also need to walk mah?
or you can buy budget lens, after all it is not your rice bowl mah?
if you have too much money then of course, buy buy buy

But in many situations, unable or unadvisable to walk closer enough : E.g. Rainie at Junction 8, rugby or wakeboard. So need the long 8x-12x optical zoom (280-420mm, 35mm equivalent) of prosumer camera. From the comments by some DSLR users, I gather that it's better to at least get reasonably good and fast, budget lenses in order to get sharper pictures. Even though they're considered "budget" in DSLR context, they're not cheap when compared to the cost of a prosumer camera.

For many people, when we want to start learning photography, we're not sure whether we can sustain our interests and whether we can afford the time as our priority in life changes. Some have sustained and upgraded their cameras but many others have eventually lost interests or lack of time (that's why we see many sales of used cameras citing giving up photography as the reason for sale).

So those who have sustained their interests would just shout buy buy buy DSLR while those who are still unsure or have given up would advise some words of caution to jump straight into DSLR.

Money is definitely a major factor to take into account. If money is of no concern, then of course buy DSLR as it gives more creative room if a person's skills improve. But then, money is usually a concern for most people when it's at least $2K-$3K, especially when it's plunging into something which we're not knowledgeable about and not sure whether we can sustain our interests for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.