Taking the plunge - 5DMK2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is FF the a must have eventually?

How can it be a must ? But i suppose if one day in the future Canon dedicates to only making FF wholly then u got no choice

how do you guys finance the 5DmkII? threw hard cash of saving? 6mth 12mth financing method?

Cold hard cash :bsmilie:

Ryan

If we mount EX580II that has AF sensor, will 5Dmk2 AF performs better?

Well there's always sRAW. Full raw is only needed when you need to crop or if you need to print poster size. For all other usage, sRAW is more than enough. Seriously. CF card is dirt cheap nowsday and this shouldn't be your main concern. The only problem I have with the Mkii is the focusing. It not as accurate as 40D and I have more misses than hits when taking moving objects in dark conditions.

Ah, i see. So 580 EX II actually only has AF assist beam but not AF sensor.

No. The 580EX II's AF assist beam is only to help the camera lock on focus better in low lighting conditions.

Ah, i see. So 580 EX II actually only has AF assist beam but not AF sensor.

It emits a pattern of red light up to a short distance. This aids in focusing when the camera can detect the contrast pattern on your subject and locks onto it. It works- you can autofocus with no light at all. Targeting a blank wall in the dark and shooting works.

I was in a similar situation as you few months back... I changed from a 1D Mk1 to 40D then to 5D, now I'm contemplating to get the 5D Mk2. My thoughts:

a) If you're shooting action or events, 5D Mk2 is definitely too slow a machine to handle. Better that you stick to 40D, or get a used 1Ds mk2 if you think FF is really a necessity.

b) Why I chose to get the 5D (Mk1) over the 40D is for (i) better dynamic range (ii) full-frame sensor which helps a lot as I'm using my 50 and 85 primes on indoor portraits (iii) low light capability, but I feel 40D is quite close to 5D in terms of this.

c) Why I'm still sticking to the 5D Mk1? I don't see the need (yet) to spend another $2K upgrading to get another 9MP, dust-cleaning & HD recording (although 25600 ISO capability is indeed tempting). Prob want to use that $2K for some other use such as lighting equipment or a 24" imac =p

Bottom-line is, think about what you need really... and it starts with what you actually shoot.. not what you think you will shoot =p Camera prices are always dropping, so just buy what you need.

Hope this helps :)

c) Why I'm still sticking to the 5D Mk1? I don't see the need (yet) to spend another $2K upgrading to get another 9MP, dust-cleaning & HD recording (although 25600 ISO capability is indeed tempting). Prob want to use that $2K for some other use such as lighting equipment or a 24" imac =p

Bottom-line is, think about what you need really... and it starts with what you actually shoot.. not what you think you will shoot =p Camera prices are always dropping, so just buy what you need.
Agree on your reasoning too, I rather use the ~2k difference for good glass instead. After playing with the 5D Mk2 hands on and downloading the full res pics....I knew that the 21 MP would be overkill for me, and I didn't even need the HD video function at all. Sure the 3" 920,000 dot LCD is nice, the high ISO and the other bells and whistles too, but it just wasn't enough to sway me to spend almost 4k on it. I decided I'd rather go for a 2nd hand 5D MkI and save the rest of the money for better glass or other accessories like perhaps a good tripod + ballhead.

At the end of the day its still the type of glass you use and the person behind the cam thats more important than what body you use.

Save like hell bro!
I am almost there liao. My stash has reached 3k. Must tahan another month.;)
Don't forget also to budget for lenses and accessories if you haven't done so! Most people buying the 5D Mark 2 already have at least a couple of good lenses or more.

Don't forget also to budget for lenses and accessories if you haven't done so! Most people buying the 5D Mark 2 already have at least a couple of good lenses or more.

the kit 24-105L is a superb companion and is really great on a FF if limited in funds.

i do came across some amateur here do so alway some good lens for funding to start with this 5d2 first. if it is me most probably i am going to be one of them. but how many lens can i sell, i only have a 17-55IS and 70-200f2.8. definately the 17-55IS which cannot be use on FF. how much can i get back then? $1300 for the len and $1200 for 40D with warranty.
i still need to fork out another 1.2K plus for this new body.

hmmmmmmmmm, worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.