Taking the plunge - 5DMK2

Status
Not open for further replies.
sell 17-55, get 24-105 perhaps with top up of 200.

alternative is to rely on sigma 50 f1.4 and put all the money into the 5D2.

you can do very good work with standard prime 50mm on a FF.

sell 17-55, get 24-105 perhaps with top up of 200.

alternative is to rely on sigma 50 f1.4 and put all the money into the 5D2.

you can do very good work with standard prime 50mm on a FF.

yes, prime lens do good on FF body.

i also take into considerations if in future will there be any other good lens to get for this 5d2. the answer is yes but definately those L series type. i have a fantasy on f2.8 lens hence most prob the 16-35L or 28-75L suit me, but hey..the price is a bomb, how can i spend 2k over on a lens while i am just a noob?

are there any 3rd party which worrks perfectly on FF body?

yes, prime lens do good on FF body.

i also take into considerations if in future will there be any other good lens to get for this 5d2. the answer is yes but definately those L series type. i have a fantasy on f2.8 lens hence most prob the 16-35L or 28-75L suit me, but hey..the price is a bomb, how can i spend 2k over on a lens while i am just a noob?

are there any 3rd party which worrks perfectly on FF body?
You can look into lenses like the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 to cover the standard range. While it does not have equivalent build to L series its optics are comparable to the L, for a much lesser price.

For wide angle the 17-40mm f4L is good enough if you don't need to cover indoor or low light events.

Its important to realize that ultimately the lens holds the key to good image quality, hence set aside some of your budget for lenses and choose wisely. As others have said, no pt getting a 5DMk2 and then getting an inferior lens to pair with it.

I second this.

5Dmk2 has very high MP, hence dense photo sensor buckets on the sensor. If the lense optics is not sharp enough, the image quality will not be good. On high MP sensor, a bit of optics difraction will already be easily captured by the sensor because of the density of the buckets.

This is why 50D which has the most densely populated photo sensor buckets amongst all Canon DSLR lines to date, need L lense to achieve its best performance. Else it will capture less image detail. At f8 and up, it has already been able to start recording lense difraction (hence less sharp).

You can look into lenses like the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 to cover the standard range. While it does not have equivalent build to L series its optics are comparable to the L, for a much lesser price.

For wide angle the 17-40mm f4L is good enough if you don't need to cover indoor or low light events.

Its important to realize that ultimately the lens holds the key to good image quality, hence set aside some of your budget for lenses and choose wisely. As others have said, no pt getting a 5DMk2 and then getting an inferior lens to pair with it.

I second this.

5Dmk2 has very high MP, hence dense photo sensor buckets on the sensor. If the lense optics is not sharp enough, the image quality will not be good. On high MP sensor, a bit of optics difraction will already be easily captured by the sensor because of the density of the buckets.

This is why 50D which has the most densely populated photo sensor buckets amongst all Canon DSLR lines to date, need L lense to achieve its best performance. Else it will capture less image detail. At f8 and up, it has already been able to start recording lense difraction (hence less sharp).

yeah, i've tried pairing a 5dm2 with non-L lenses before and it's quite apparent that the image quality will suffer if you do so. L lenses have a much better resolving power.

btw, it's lens (singular) and lenses (plural). :)

aha, thanks for the correction, my english is not so good :angel:

yeah, i've tried pairing a 5dm2 with non-L lenses before and it's quite apparent that the image quality will suffer if you do so. L lenses have a much better resolving power.

btw, it's lens (singular) and lenses (plural). :)

Do you all think that the price will drop further?
All prices will drop as technology eventually becomes obsolete.

I consider myself an "advance" amateur and mainly take shots on overseas trip and sometimes, indoor assigments for church.

Is FF the a must have eventually?

Your views please. thanks.:)

Only you can tell if FF is a must. I'd think the 1.6x crop is an effect that cannot 'undo' , but a FF can always use a longer lens to get the same optical effect.

Just get the camera, you'll be overjoyed with no regrets! i wish i had the same balls to spend that much. I'll just be thinking of my kids faces when i'm just about to buy it, i could make them eternally happy with toys, clothes, books and even a holiday.

I must say that the 5DMK2's dynamic range and IQ are fantastic. Just used the body to shoot some motorcycle racing at the circuit@tuas with some very good results. Being able to crop with so much detail retained is simple amazing.

In "predictive" sports like motorcycle racing, I didn't find the low fps a hinderance.

Status
Not open for further replies.