Taking straight photographs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tantalize

Mar 18, 2009
Kembangan
I'm trying to take a picture of a paintings and wondering if there a way to take it in a way that the edge of the photograph is straight?

camera must be perpendicular to the painting
and dead centre

cannot use WA lens, i recommend Nikkor 60mm micro

you can also change focusing screen with grid lines, it helps alot.

If you're talking about the parralax error, then you may need a tilt shift lens or shoot from dead centre and correct the slight distortions in CS.

Assuming if the painting is hung on a wall, then a tripod and a spirit level are necessary. More care must be given if paiting is left standing on floor and resting on wall; in this case the tilt must be corrected by having the lens pointing perpendicularly (or sensor plane at parallel) at the centre of the painting. Some perspective corrections can also be done on Photoshop. Good luck.

Use a view camera. :devil:

use PS to correct the angle or distortion. ;)

for a start, ensure you use a tripod with a head(both with spirit level).

I'm trying to take a picture of a paintings and wondering if there a way to take it in a way that the edge of the photograph is straight?

1. find lens with minimal distortion (barrel or pincushion), if cannot, then make sure you know how to correct, and shoot so that you will correct without cropping away parts of painting.

2. make sure your lens fits the setting (i.e. amount of space) where you have to take the photo of painting.

3. be dead centre of painting, both horizontally and vertically.

4. take photo with camera sensor exactly parallel to painting's verticality

5. take photo with camera sensor exactly parallel to painting's horizontality

6. tada.

alternatively, with some mild errors you can correct in photoshop, but image quality will be affected, and you might need to crop, so shoot for cropping.

the most pro option :thumbsup:

Also the easiest.

But most likely, not many have access or know how to use a technical camera.

Using the detailed set-up previously described, there's a very easy way to set up a normal camera to ensure that one's camera is almost perfectly squared on both planes. A grid reference in the viewfinder helps, but is not necessary.

It's so easy, quick and cheap, it's mind-boggling. Not to taunt TS, but let's see if anyone can figure it out without googling. ;)

Also the easiest.

Using the detailed set-up previously described, there's a very easy way to set up a normal camera to ensure that one's camera is almost perfectly squared on both planes. A grid reference in the viewfinder helps, but is not necessary.

It's so easy, quick and cheap, it's mind-boggling. Not to taunt TS, but let's see if anyone can figure it out without googling. ;)

er.... it's called a flat bed scanner

Also the easiest.

Chey, this simple method I already use it 20years ago, just put a piece a mirror lor.

it is not a rocket science, anybody have secondary school physics level can understand why.

Last edited:
er.... it's called a flat bed scanner

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Trust Ortega to come up with the mo-tech way of doing it! I did mention 'normal camera' mah!

Chey, this simple method I already use it 20years ago, just put a piece a mirror lor.

it is not a rocket science, anybody have secondary school physics level can understand why.

Alamak!

I should have put the condition 'Catchlights is not allowed to answer' because I know he definitely knows the answer! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

first check that the edges are straight and parallel.

Too many times photographers and art directors got stucked just because the orginal itself is not straight and parallel.

Alamak!

I should have put the condition 'Catchlights is not allowed to answer' because I know he definitely knows the answer! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
back in the 80's when there is no scanner, we still able to charge $15~$35 per piece for doing simple flat copywork, things are rather easy when we can use a copy stand, just use a carpenter spirit level on the board and a spirit level on 120 camera back or 35mm hotshoe, but works get complicated when the art work too large, need to paste on the wall or place on the floor.

so I get headache of how to get perfect perpendicular, and later I discover I can just simply use a mirror to check perpendicular, and it works wonders. And strangely, I can't find this method mention in all the photography books I came across, when I share this tips to other photographers, and they disbelieve it at first, but proved it is a simple method once they try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.