Taking potraits of models wearing black & white clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.

p7m13

Sep 30, 2005
From my experience, if you take pics of someone wearing all white they tend to look like they're glowing. Then if they're wearing all black it'd look like a black blob. Any way to take pictures where you can see the details in their clothes? Or how can I use photoshop to correct such pictures?

Sample pics
m996as.jpg

e04j8m.jpg

You need to use exposure compensation. In the above shots, you would use negative compensation.

Meter in between... at the grey tones. This also depends on the camera's ability to have a good dynamic range.

Meter the white and the black, then use an exposure just in-between. Or look for a mid-tone like the skin, grass and take the meter reading from the mid tone area.

From my experience, if you take pics of someone wearing all white they tend to look like they're glowing. Then if they're wearing all black it'd look like a black blob. Any way to take pictures where you can see the details in their clothes? Or how can I use photoshop to correct such pictures?

Something wrong with the lighting or the way you shoot?

The first pic is slightly overexposed, the gown is blown out. Watch your histogram. 2nd picture is ok. Maye your monitor isn't calibrated properly?

-----------------
Dpreview use calibrated monitors at the PC normal gamma 2.2, this means that on our monitors we can make out the difference between all of the grayscale blocks below. We recommend to make the most of this review you should be able to see the difference (at least) between X,Y and Z and ideally also A, B and C.

grayscale.gif

can you please use -0.8 or -1.2 eV ....... the expo are so wrong..

Ermmm I didn't take those pics. I merely took them off Google as examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.