taking potrait shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

socrates

Jan 31, 2005
I am still learning how to take better pcitures with my digital camera. Please suggest how I could take potrait shots of people's expressions and faces such that they are in focus while the background is blurred.

I use a canon G1 . Thanks for any ideas.

pretty difficult to achieve with a compact from wat i heard....not really sure though...but on slrs the rule of thumb is to use a larger aperture...i.e f2.8

but most importaint thing is control....totally blur also pointless..... and the smaller the aperture...the sharper.....

even if u use the correct method as what ortega said, the G1 is stll unable to get significantly blur backround. for that u must use SLR

ortega said:
use a smaller fstop number to get less DOF. and focus on the face.

may i know what is DOF?

kensh09 said:
may i know what is DOF?

Depth Of Field.
Basically, the area that remains in clear focus when you shoot.
I.e. using a small aperture reduces the depth of field and makes the background blur.

Camera:-----blur-----|___in focus___|-----blur-----
______________________subject_________________
Depth of field refers to the depth of the 'in focus' area

For a much more detailed explanation:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dof.shtml
The definition used there is: "The area in front of and behind a focused subject in which the photographed image appears sharp".

Caras said:
Depth Of Field.
I.e. using a small aperture reduces the depth of field and makes the background blur.

Camera:-----blur-----|___in focus___|-----blur-----
______________________subject_________________
Depth of field refers to the depth of the 'in focus' area

For a much more detailed explanation:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dof.shtml
The definition used there is: "The area in front of and behind a focused subject in which the photographed image appears sharp".

oic...thanks a lot.... :) Learn new things again..... ;)

Caras said:
Depth Of Field.

I think a slight error here.

Using a small aperture INCREASES the depth of field, and vice versa.

Example: for any given focal length, f32 (small aperture) will have a greater depth of field than f4 (bigger aperture).

So if you want to have a blur background, use as big an aperture as possible.

ortega said:
use a smaller fstop number to get less DOF. and focus on the face.

Ahhh smaller f-stop less depth of field man? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: Number 22 on the aperture is actually 1/22 or 1.4 is 1/1.4 which is bigger or smaller. Which have more DOF. Smaller F stop have more DOF :D OK? :sweatsm:

Took some potraits shots of my 4 months old niece today but it turn out to be under expose. :(

I've tried to use the Arcsoft photostudio software that comes with my canon camera to enhance the photos but the results are not satisfactory...
Any advice on any workflow technique that can be use to recover the shots?

maybe some ps pro here can help u...
but there's also a limit DI editing can do,
if u really feel that your shots are really under-exposed,
why not just take them again? =)

since its ur niece, I'm sure u can always just drop by and take some more shots. hehe

socrates said:
I am still learning how to take better pcitures with my digital camera. Please suggest how I could take potrait shots of people's expressions and faces such that they are in focus while the background is blurred.

I use a canon G1 . Thanks for any ideas.

Hi socrates,

Some others have already mentioned using a larger aperture (small f number). Larger apertures (opening in the lens) create shallower depth of field. This means a small distance in front and behind the subject (or person in your case) remains sharp.

There are other ways as well.

1) Coming closer to your subject also reduces DOF. Yes, that probably means you're capturing head-shoulder shots instead of half-body or full-body portraits.

2) Adding a teleconverter lens in front of your G1 to increase the focal length should also reduce the DOF. (I think G1 has that accessory -- I use G2.)

If I'm correct, the G1 has quite a large aperture (around f/2.8?) at the telephoto end of its zoom lens? Although most lenses don't perform well at large apertures, images shot near the largest aperture on G1 and G2 are quite sharp! Give it a go!

Oh yes, with digital cameras, DOF is generally more than film. So, if you shoot film on the same focal length and aperture, you get stronger blurs in the background than with digital.

As for the facial expressions, it's going to be hard putting it all down in words. I think I'll leave it out. Sorry. ;p

~Arcanic~ said:
maybe some ps pro here can help u...
but there's also a limit DI editing can do,
if u really feel that your shots are really under-exposed,
why not just take them again? =)

since its ur niece, I'm sure u can always just drop by and take some more shots. hehe

Yes I know... :)

Just that I feel its a bit wasted lor.. cos there are a few shots which I caught her smiling at the camera... but just under exposed... :(
Looks like die die must get an external flash liao... :sweat:

Sukoo said:
Yes I know... :)

Just that I feel its a bit wasted lor.. cos there are a few shots which I caught her smiling at the camera... but just under exposed... :(
Looks like die die must get an external flash liao... :sweat:

put your pics up, maybe someone here can help :D

Everybody has been very helpful ....I will go and try out the ideas and suggestions. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.