Taking portraits and people in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardnirun

Sep 22, 2008
Serangoon
Dear All,
Is there a trick to taking photos of people(more for portraits). I am rather having some difficulty in taking them. Are there any rules if any? I'd post some pics but most of my people shots are ala snapshots.... What do you guys look out for or take note of when taking portraits?

Try reading up on the basics of composition, and some basic things such as the rule of thirds, etc. MANY good guides online.

see many many good portrait shots, and try to figure out WHAT makes them good. The answer should be quite obvious (no, it's not "Use more expensive gear")...

On a side note, looking at your posting history, it's mainly all about gear gear gear. This lens vs that lens, etc.

Have you tried taking 3-5 of your portrait shots and posted them in the portraits and poses gallery? We can give advice then.

On a side note, looking at your posting history, it's mainly all about gear gear gear. This lens vs that lens, etc.

Have you tried taking 3-5 of your portrait shots and posted them in the portraits and poses gallery? We can give advice then.

i know..i hardly post up pics here..occasionaly doing it in multiply..i never took portraits b4 so am trying out on some in the future...

i passed the gear phase already...for now..hehehe

thanks for the replies...the youtube link is very informative

thanks for the replies...the youtube link is very informative...shall practice soon

portrait and candid snapshot are of two different thing. the first is more serious (i.e. posing, composition,lighting,backgrd ) the second are more casual, no holds bar situation.

for portraiture, there are already 4 section for you to learn and need to think and settle down before shooting.

while for the candids, just grab, point and shoot,no brainwork needed BUT do not expect any favourable comment nor it can become a masterpiece, however, they may have sentimental value.

Last edited:
It all depends on individuals and how much you're into the hobby. Some just snap some shots and call them portraits, some take a more in-depth view and will compose and pose the models accordingly. It all differs and there is no right or wrong as long as you can showcase the models nicely. :)

Dear All,
Is there a trick to taking photos of people(more for portraits). I am rather having some difficulty in taking them. Are there any rules if any? I'd post some pics but most of my people shots are ala snapshots.... What do you guys look out for or take note of when taking portraits?

there are no rules, only guides

but understand composition, and in the long run, you will know what to do, what is better, why, and this will help you get better in all aspects of photography in the long run.

how to improve?

go to the library, take a look at books that teach techniques, read them, shelve them in your mind what to try later on.

take a look at portraits that are deemed as good. ask yourself "why?" criticize yourself "why my portraits do not measure up to these?", when you have the answer, you might not be able to take the pictures as well, but you will be better.

Erm, I like to take candid shots of people on the streets. But what's the correct etiquette?

Do I have to seek permission? If I do, it spoils the moment and freezes things up.
If I don't, it seems rude...

Especially sometimes I see beautiful ladies with interesting faces, that I really wanted to take, but am too shy to ask. (I'm a straight lady, btw).

Erm, I like to take candid shots of people on the streets. But what's the correct etiquette?

Do I have to seek permission? If I do, it spoils the moment and freezes things up.

Especially sometimes I see beautiful ladies with interesting faces, that I really wanted to take, but am too shy to ask. (I'm a straight lady, btw).

Tough question to answer.

I think if you take pics of others' kids, it's best to ask. Most kids still act quite natural in front of the camera.

With adults, sometimes you get a different reaction once they're aware of the camera.

My suggestion is to take the photo first. If kena complain, then smile and show them the picture. If they refuse, no choice la. Delete it.

Usually if you are good looking and has a nice smile.. or you look like some tourist... Singaporeans... Not so bothered.

Capture the moment... Use long lens if you are shy... Else... Practice shooting at chest, under arm and waist level.

If you want to disappear like a NinJA.... Get a Small Compact... Leica...:bsmilie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IOEAlBpSo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qjym5uliDw

Out of Topic...:bsmilie:

Enjoy.

Just shoot...

if you're not comfortable to, then look for a new genre to shoot with

Thanks for the links. The 1st one was quite 'in your face'.
The other 2 was at least quite non-obstructive.

I think a small compact with those flippable LCDs may be a good idea to shoot from the hip. Just that PnS tend to have issues with movements.

I guess ultimately I may need to develop some 'thick' skin.

Usually if you are good looking and has a nice smile.. or you look like some tourist... Singaporeans... Not so bothered.

Capture the moment... Use long lens if you are shy... Else... Practice shooting at chest, under arm and waist level.

If you want to disappear like a NinJA.... Get a Small Compact... Leica...:bsmilie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-IOEAlBpSo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qjym5uliDw

Out of Topic...:bsmilie:

Enjoy.

Just an update.
Yesterday took some pics in a pub and was greeted with a 别拍了 ...
So paiseh.

Then I remembered the 1st youtube video and told myself to be shameless.
我会再接再厉。I will try again! (in another place).

Status
Not open for further replies.