Taking Portrait Shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheechee

Sep 22, 2002
Sengkang
Visit site
Halo. Need some advice.

Recently tried to take portrait shots for my gf in her room, testing out using EOS500N Camera with kit lens, plus internal flash, plus and additional Ikea lamp as something to adjust the contrast.

(Well, well, i know-> Equipment not enough to make nice portraits shots rite? I agree, but bobian coz beginner level, but also interested to get to know what equipment should i add or upgrade, so i can purchase and experiment with it)

From the results of the pictures, sense that i need to learn more about lighting.

Tried to use different apperture for this indoor shooting, using normal 200ISO negative films, realized that shots taken @ f8 is quite ok, izzit the ideal f stops for most indoor portrait shoots?

And any source where i can learn more on how to take indoor portrait shoots? especially the pose, the lighting, etc.

Thanks in advance. :D

wau, got share the photos out? ;)

btw, i have exactly same questions as urs, i found lighting is playing very important role. internal flash always make the person looks too bright i feel... :confused:

Hi there, for techniques on posing, this website offers some basic tips.;)

http://www.stnphotography.com/tips.html

For techniques on lighting, this website offers some basic tips.
;)

http://www.vividlight.com/articles/1615.htm

These are very basic websites, but they should get you started one way or the other. Then you must continue to practise/experiment.

Originally posted by chenwei
wau, got share the photos out? ;)

btw, i have exactly same questions as urs, i found lighting is playing very important role. internal flash always make the person looks too bright i feel... :confused:

Hoho... still trying to get a scanner to scan... sigh.. but not so good.. seems like must get some gurus and teach more.. hehe

Gf saw some of my jp idol pictures, so she was excited and asked if can achieve same feel like the jp idol pictures.. so i said "Try lol"
:heart:

Anyway, :embrass: also post those jp idol pictures she wanted me to mimic the effect. Can anyone give some pointers on how to achiveve them? maybe filter/polarizer/shuttle+apperture/lighting/etc?

csphoto1.jpg

The above kyoko fukada pic, other than the natural lighting from the window on the right, where should i aim the flash(and what kind of flash) to achieve the exposure and what settings?

csphoto2.jpg

The above picture, the brownish effect, izzit a polarizer? or anything?

csphoto3.jpg

The above outdoor pic,the focus is on the leaf on left?how to make such glowing effect on the gal?

Thanks astin for the links... ;)

And abt the 3 pic i posted up there, not wanting to make it like an idol forum,juz post so as to ask on how the effects are achieved.. thanks..

ok Chee...
I think all those are alter using s/w . For film to achieve that effect, I think you need many diff type of filters liao!
hehhehee...

*oh maybe you can send a copy of your GF's pic over to mi and see what I can do with it*
:p

Originally posted by Bluestrike
ok Chee...
I think all those are alter using s/w . For film to achieve that effect, I think you need many diff type of filters liao!
hehhehee...

*oh maybe you can send a copy of your GF's pic over to mi and see what I can do with it*
:p

The story of the wolf is coming... ;p

Hi,
Take a look at these 2 websites...not bad....
I am using a few flash, white umbrella, reflectors (BIG styroform) to set up a mini studio myself. Works marvelous. Luckily your gf trust you, my gf dont like to take pics...xian...

1) Get some cheap large cloth from ChinaTown as backdrop

2) No Flash? DOnt worry, stand beside an open window. If light too harsh, cover it with a BIG a tracing paper to difuse the light.

3) Use reflectors (BIG styroform) to cover shadows.

4) Use a translucent stocking to cover the lens for soft effect. Or a translucent plastic bag also can. Cheap and good.

5) When you are used to taking, can try more advance:
With a few flash and a cheap white umbrella, you can buy "OFF Flash" sensor which can be attached to your flash units hotshoe, they will activate the rest of the flashes from your main flash....hope you understand. If not nevermind.Ü

6) Use 45degree angle light from the top so that you wont cast shadows to the backdrop...

Try the following website for posing tips...Ü
Enjoy

http://www.apogeephoto.com/may2000/Posing.shtml
http://photographytips.com

ya, at least your gf trust you. I too want to try to take portrait for my gf but she don't like to take pictures. :(

Chee2, if you look deeper to your Japan idol pics, you will notice:

1. They do not use direct flash, they use reflector (sunlight or indirect flash), look at the eyes, do you see a big white piece inside the black pupil? That is the effect of sunlight reflector. Most Japan idol pics use this skill.

2. They also always use software to soften the face, you can try Photoshop, it is unlikely people have such a soft face skin, try looking deeper in your pics.

3. About the girl in the leaves, I think they should software maybe Photoshop function "difuse glow", it is not difficult.

btw, cheechee, if u happenned to have some nice shots, mind to share with us? (at most blur out ur gf's look?) ;)

i really hope to improve my skills on this too! so that i can help my gf.... :cool:

Gee.. thx all.. Will try out after my exams.. ;)

If all turns out ok, will post the resulting pcitures..

Thanks again... :D

(Now persuading her to take swimsuit pictures after exam. Wish me luck... hehe:devil: )

Originally posted by MatthewSCL

1) Get some cheap large cloth from ChinaTown as backdrop

2) No Flash? DOnt worry, stand beside an open window. If light too harsh, cover it with a BIG a tracing paper to difuse the light.

3) Use reflectors (BIG styroform) to cover shadows.

4) Use a translucent stocking to cover the lens for soft effect. Or a translucent plastic bag also can. Cheap and good.

5) When you are used to taking, can try more advance:
With a few flash and a cheap white umbrella, you can buy "OFF Flash" sensor which can be attached to your flash units hotshoe, they will activate the rest of the flashes from your main flash....hope you understand. If not nevermind.Ü

6) Use 45degree angle light from the top so that you wont cast shadows to the backdrop...

Try the following website for posing tips...Ü
Enjoy

http://www.apogeephoto.com/may2000/Posing.shtml
http://photographytips.com

Thanks for the advice. Just some question:
1) Normally portrait shot if dun use created backdrop->i.e normal room background or normal background, anything to note? since with the settings for portrait shot will most probably blurr the backgrd, so any steps to make it juz nice?

3) U mentioned using reflectors to cover shadow, but what if it is just natural lighting from the windows(juz say maybe the window on the right), and shadows will be on left side of the object(from photographer perspectives), thus by right the reflector should be on my left hand side rite? No flash can reflect also? Or u meant using internal flash-> no external flash.

Thanks.:D

hey chee,

NTU PVS is conducting an indoor and outdoor model shoot after the exams. maybe u can sign up, thus u can learn how to take better photos for ur gf.

if u are interested email me at mervlam@starhub.net.sg

SOunds interesting but is there any requirements ? (Cost, Qualification, student etc.)
:dunno:

Originally posted by mervlam
hey chee,

NTU PVS is conducting an indoor and outdoor model shoot after the exams. maybe u can sign up, thus u can learn how to take better photos for ur gf.

Is it some sort of a photography course?
Or it is open for public to join in the fun? :D

Regards

am interested in this activity. any chance a non-NTU student / NTU alumni / member of the public can join? ;)

hey chee,

hey chee,

yup, any non-NTU students can join? ;)

Whao! So many beautiful women!!! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.