Taking pictures with video lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahpan

Jul 20, 2008
Singapore
Just to check is there any solution to adjust the white balance on RAW file to neutralize the face color due to strong video lighting?

Had tried to adjust in many ways just simply cannot remove orange color on the face, even can remove it... the color of face become dull color.

Anyone got this problem before ?

you can't balance white balance of a photo have two light source with two different white balance into one. you can only take one white balance, unless you want to do a lot of layer masking to correct the color locally.

you can simply convert such photos into B&W.

have to fix it manually.

In the first place, the colour of the lights from video lights and the camera flash is very different.

For camera flash, it's almost white. For video flash, it gives a warm colour.
So you WB will surely be off. Too much of orange..

Thanks all ;)

That's what I think too... because someone mentioned to me that photographers are to remove the orange lights completely in pictures. Is it true? I think it's not impossible when the orange cast was very strong.
I did it by lowering the color mood but got feedback that the face like no blood. :S

either gelling the flash with a CTO to attempt to warm it up to the video light temp, or gel the video light with a CTB to cool it down..

anyway, if you said you could remove it and the face colour becomes dull, you can tweak the WB upwards to inject some warmt back, but the ambient may turn out differently..

just read it from a book from library this morning, haven't actually try it, not sure whether it works....

use quick mask mode to mask out the affected area, and use colour balance to adjust.

sound so simple, maybe not so.

By physics, you can only have one correct WB under 2 different lightings. If you want to get better result, you have 2 choices: correct it on the spot OR during post production.

To correct it on the spot, J-Chan has given you a good solution by applying gel to any light source to make it similar to another source.

To modify it in PS, many ways, but time consuming :(

TS did not mention is it a mixed light situation, only orange cast. If it's overall orange, I'd usually choose to drop a photo filter in PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.