Taking pictures of people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agenda

Deregistered
Jun 24, 2008
Tampines
You need them to be in their most natural state to capture a very natural feel to it, but for photographers, do we have some code of conduct to adhere to?

When you snap people, do you ask for permission or just snap then quickly run off?

tis is a very much discussed topic.

do conduct a search.

but, snap and quickly run away, is perhaps, the worst thing to do.

It all depends on your TYPE of photography, I believe a lot of the budding photogs start off with long range sniping before they are accustomed or used to snapping ppl.

When you're comfortable enuff, just stand in front of them and snap and smile. ;)

You need them to be in their most natural state to capture a very natural feel to it, but for photographers, do we have some code of conduct to adhere to?

When you snap people, do you ask for permission or just snap then quickly run off?

last sun i almost kena whacked by a dirty old man when i try to point my cam at him. :bsmilie:

i don't have the courage yet to smille and snap i front of my subject... still learning the art... so i usually snipe from a distance! my weapon of choice is the 55-200mm vr + monopod!;)

old_man3.jpg

same experience as jlkk76 bro,

i was at boat quay and the river taxi uncle was cursing at me

and demanded i pay him " copyright fees " for shooting his face

i just walked off

same experience as jlkk76 bro,

i was at boat quay and the river taxi uncle was cursing at me

and demanded i pay him " copyright fees " for shooting his face

i just walked off

hahaha! copyright fees? if i were you, i would have told him... yeah, i'll give you copyright fees, only if your face got my fist mark on it!:) silly s*^t! joking aside, walking away is always the best choice...

no, i just pretend i never snapped them

haha! that's kewl man... i think i'll try that!:bsmilie:

if you prefocus, you can simply

aim at something else, then shift quickly, snap, and then walk off

don't even need to act guilty, just do it like you never snapped them, that is the best way to do it, most people will not bother to check

for those who do, they will be oversensitive and you can sense it the moment you are around, so you don't snap. the more time you spend doing something, the better attuned you are to it. :)

anyways, these are from my experiences in london, i have not tried street photography proper in singapore, so i couldn't say for sure, but you can take a look at sathea or lancey's shots here, they seem to be able to get pretty close to their subjects.... :)

4313_91799959306_512829306_2425116_2445278_n.jpg

he cursed and screamed at us after my friend took a shot.. we were shocked by his reaction and hurried away!

Strangely I only take people pictures when I'm overseas. Even then I will employ ninja techniques. So yeah.. I'm kinda a wuss! :embrass:

Someone (calebk?) once said that if you have no people skills, perhaps you shouldn't make streets and candids your main photography interest. Or, to put it another way, to be better at streets and candids, you should try to develop some people skills.

Edit : hey, here's an idea of a posed photo. Get a really fierce looking model, and have him / her walking towards the camera as if going to beat up the photographer.

Last edited:
Strangely I only take people pictures when I'm overseas. Even then I will employ ninja techniques. So yeah.. I'm kinda a wuss! :embrass:

Sometime also been chase, just back from Shanghai 2 days ago. Street sellers quite fierce.
especially in those older streets.

for me i'll usually point my cam (spell, dslr = big camera) to somewhere near my supposed "subject", then when i see the moment, i move over to my subject, focus and shoot! den bring gun, i mean cam down and move. usually no time for them to react or i'm already on my way ;p good if you can snipe but sometimes pretty tough, depends on situtation. in general, need quite a bit people skills la. sometimes you were "caught" shooting, can just smile and wave. (never hurts to be polite). if given the middle finger or !@$^*, just walk away..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_cen/3441118541/
300mm at orchard infront of takashimaya.

in my experience, it was really scary at first, but when you got used to the surrounding the fear will go away.At first i was sniping around the corners of the sidewalk, then i slowly started snapping pix in the middle of the street trying to blend to the crowd.
but if everything didnt go well, my advise is dont run, just slowly walk away or do the "testing your camera trick" or "im taking photos on whatever on your back trick". it takes a lot of courage not to run but running will just give them the idea that your stealing something from them.
and show some respect, if you see theyre staring at you and you felt that theyre not comfortable taking theyre pic, dont click and redirect your lens to other subjects.

Last edited:
Perhaps we should step back and think about the ethics of the situation - if people don't want to be photographed, should we go ahead and do so anyway because we want to?

I guess if they don't want, then I wouldn't take a picture of them. Then again, If they don't know, they can't don't want. :sweatsm:

Perhaps we should step back and think about the ethics of the situation - if people don't want to be photographed, should we go ahead and do so anyway because we want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.