Taking pictures of Genting highlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

comeonesticks

Nov 25, 2007
West
I brought my D80 out to genting highlands and i wanted to shoot the outside scenery but it turned out too white or overexposed. what settings should i set to take such photos?

I brought my D80 out to genting highlands and i wanted to shoot the outside scenery but it turned out too white or overexposed. what settings should i set to take such photos?

There are no "magic settings", if you know already that it's overexposed than consult your manual to see how you adjust your camera to expose less. Possible ways are: faster shutter, smaller aperture, lower ISO. Also, check your metering. Depending on the metering method the result will vary.
Adjust your composition so that there is less sky in the frame. If boring white clouds are overexposed it doesn't matter much. Try to expose the interesting parts properly. If there is at least a hint of blue sky you can try using a CPL.

the question is more of

what settings are YOU using, that is resulting in your exposure being so warped

there is nothing magical or special about genting highlands that makes it harder to expose compared to anywhere else.

maybe if you post picture with exif intact we can tell you more.

There are no "magic settings", if you know already that it's overexposed than consult your manual to see how you adjust your camera to expose less. Possible ways are: faster shutter, smaller aperture, lower ISO. Also, check your metering. Depending on the metering method the result will vary.
Adjust your composition so that there is less sky in the frame. If boring white clouds are overexposed it doesn't matter much. Try to expose the interesting parts properly. If there is at least a hint of blue sky you can try using a CPL.

the question is more of

what settings are YOU using, that is resulting in your exposure being so warped

there is nothing magical or special about genting highlands that makes it harder to expose compared to anywhere else.

maybe if you post picture with exif intact we can tell you more.

Noted.. My settings were F4 and shutter speed was 1/25.. Is it thats why its overexposed?
One of the picture i tried -5EV.

Noted.. My settings were F4 and shutter speed was 1/25.. Is it thats why its overexposed?

what metering are you using

why did you use those settings, what mode were you using?

i think your camera spoil.

thats why over exposed.

better buy PNS and shoot. better. wun spoil so fast.

i think your camera spoil.

thats why over exposed.

better buy PNS and shoot. better. wun spoil so fast.

Ya.. I think so.. i buy a PNS and shoot better or maybe you should keep your comments to yourself if you are not being constructive

I was just using the P mode. I was using Matrix metering

why is your metering so screwed?

can you post up photos, so we can explain and think of why this is happening

if there is no viable explanation, you should get your camera looked at

why is your metering so screwed?

can you post up photos, so we can explain and think of why this is happening

if there is no viable explanation, you should get your camera looked at

****.. I was using manual mode.. no wonder..
but even so, will it still be overexposed even with matrix metering?
DSC_15461.jpg

you know, frankly, if you wan constructive comments from me:

Read the manual. and shoot more. asking here will not let you learn and REMEMBER. you can just take your camera, point it out of your window during the day and snap a shot. look at the settings. in the day, there is no way you can have the shot at 1/25 unless its absolutely cloudy. this is called learning by trial and error.

assuming that you set your camera at P mode, and assuming the day is normally bright, you getting over-exposed pictures means your camera is spoilt. cos there is quite frankly no chance that a D80 can get that kinda over exposed effects. especially at -5EV. which is to me, amazingly under, yet over exposing pictures.

if you used manual mode, and you just pressed the shutter then it is no wonder it is overexposed

did you know how manual mode works?

you control everything yoruself, the camera meters for you, but it does not adjust for you

you know, frankly, if you wan constructive comments from me:

Read the manual. and shoot more. asking here will not let you learn and REMEMBER. you can just take your camera, point it out of your window during the day and snap a shot. look at the settings. in the day, there is no way you can have the shot at 1/25 unless its absolutely cloudy. this is called learning by trial and error.

assuming that you set your camera at P mode, and assuming the day is normally bright, you getting over-exposed pictures means your camera is spoilt. cos there is quite frankly no chance that a D80 can get that kinda over exposed effects. especially at -5EV. which is to me, amazingly under, yet over exposing pictures.

That is why i am asking why is it so.. and i am slowly understanding and learning it now. I think this problem may be more of a noob move by me not checking the settings and i just dish out the camera and shoot
Thanks anyway

if you used manual mode, and you just pressed the shutter then it is no wonder it is overexposed

did you know how manual mode works?

you control everything yoruself, the camera meters for you, but it does not adjust for you

Now i understand.. Thank you very much.. Learnt something already!
CHeers!

Please read you manual and learn the basics. Metering is the technical way of evaluating the available light. The result is shown as metering bar (see manual for details). If you ignore this nobody can help you.
Go back to P mode, take picture and evaluate the settings that the camera has used. Read the basics of exposure (ISO, shutter, aperture) then try apply your knowledge by using A and S mode in appropriate situations. Analyze the results. Some good books from your library will also help.

actually, i have never really bothered much with intrinsics of exif

his photo exif data says eveyrthing mentioned already
iso 100, f/4, 1/25 seconds, manual mode, pattern metering

there is a line saying exposure bias, that i also have for my own camera, which seems to record the ev used for the photo even when in manual based on metering

his exposure bias is -0.7 EV, if that is the case, then there is really something wrong with his camera metering

threadstarter - have you taken any other pictures?

Last edited:
actually, i have never really bothered much with intrinsics of exif

his photo exif data says eveyrthing mentioned already
iso 100, f/4, 1/25 seconds, manual mode, pattern metering

there is a line saying exposure bias, that i also have for my own camera, which seems to record the ev used for the photo even when in manual based on metering

his exposure bias is -0.7 EV, if that is the case, then there is really something wrong with his camera metering

threadstarter - have you taken any other pictures?
Manual mode, how to bias exposure?

Status
Not open for further replies.