Taking Pictures In Public Places An Offence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeobt

May 23, 2007
guys, i believe the subject would interest you since this is a forum for the shooters, so do
you think taking pictures in public places a chargeable offense? i think we need to really
find out more b4 you shoot something and than kana shoot back. :nono:

well, what happened to me was, i tried to take some pictures at a traffic accident scene
and was repimanaded by the officers. 2 times and at 2 different location. both were
happened in a public places.

anyway, i supposed the officers are either abusing their power or photography in public
places is simply not allowed in singapore. :bigeyes:

well, i have since sent a letter to the ST forum to clarify the issue but was told by the
media that my letter would not be allowed to publish. nvm, i have also just sent my
humble letter to the following dept to seek for an answer. i hope with my humble action,
we, as a photographer, can take picture in public places with ease. ;)

prime minister office - pmo_hq@pmo.gov.sg

minister of home affair - mha_qsm@mha.gov.sg

traffic police force - spf_feedback_tp@spf.gov.sg

singapore police force - spf_service_improvement_unit@spf.gov.sg

Is Our Law Enforcer Abusing Their Power?

Dear sir/madam,

i'm writing this to express my dismay with my 2 recent incidents i encountered with
our traffic law enforcers.

The first incident was happened on 19th July at about 0215 hrs on Grange Road.
While driving past the stretch of road, i saw a traffic accident happened and as a
hobbist photographer, i took the opportunity to snap some pictures for my own
collection and reference for people on the internet to see the consequences of bad
driving. Just when my first flash was out from my digital camera, a police officer at
the scene approach me furiously. I was reprimanded for taking picture at the scene
and was threatened to delete the picture i just took or face any consequences may
arise pertaining to the accident.

Another police officer there standing by the side of the accident vehicle was also
quick to add that if only the picture is removed immediately from my digital camera
or i would receives a ticket for parking my car illegally. For your info, my car was
parked more than 100m away from the scene and was not parking illegally at all.

Nevermind that he don't even know where is my car.

The recent incident was happened in the morning on 29th July at about 0200
hrs on Nichol highway. This time, i parked my car few hundred meters away and
was completely out of sight from the accident scene. A police officer whom was
then sitting inside the patrol car immediately stepped out and walked towards
me after my first snap at the accident vehicle. This time, without flashing light. I
was told by the young officer that photography on the accident scene is not
allowed. I asked why is it not allowed? I've done nothing wrong and this is a public
area. All i get from his replied was " just don't asked! "

For the above two incidents, i was very mindful, i was also at least 10-20 meter
away from the accident scene. I was not standing on the road but on a pedestrian
pathment. Pictures were taken from a distance and my action was not causing
obstruction to the officers at the scene. Generally, it was just like any ordinary on-
looker which could just whip out their handphone and snap and go.

Now, I'm puzzled, would i be arrested for taking pictures in the public? Instead of
directing the on-coming traffic at the accident scene, the officers i saw at Nichol
highway that morning were sitting inside the highway patrol car and monitor which
spectacle was taking picture.

I do have my fair share of pleasant experienced with the traffic officers whom
didn't bother with spectacles taking pictures at the accident scene. Most of
these pictures can be commonly seen on the newspaper too. So, why is the
double standard? Am wondering if the police officers in subject know their
scope of duty? Are they over-used their power?

I have since posted my encounters on some of the on-line community forums, many
of the members are also keen to find out the rights of photography in public places.
I hereby hope that the relevant authority can clarify the above 2 incidents before
more confusion is arised.

Your kind attention is greatly appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

Yeo Boon Teck

No idea why cannot; though a plausible reason is interferring with investigation, the potential of the photograph to interfere with their ability to solve/settle the case?

As to why, beats me.

No idea why cannot; though a plausible reason is interferring with investigation, the potential of the photograph to interfere with their ability to solve/settle the case?

As to why, beats me.

i have my fair share of experienced wif officers who dont bother one leh...:think:
my position was never caused any obstruction. do i need to post the pics here? :think:
i strongly believed is plain power abuser. :thumbsd:

look at this one, officer dont bother even i was so near to the vehicle. double standard?

0347.jpg

My condolences to you, however doubt you will get any reply. As for forum page? Half the time serious letters dont get publish but we get really dumb letters praising people who return wallets, stupid complains that restaurant dont serve water or the usual "your government, my government is so good, I love my prime minister! I love the party's love for us!!!" Your letter is a clear attack on the govt, dont dream they will publish it.....

Nothing wrong at all, the policemen clearly are making up their own laws.

Ask him for his service number, rank and name, and tell him that if he persists in stopping you, you will be writing a letter to his commanding officer after the incident. Once someone is named adn accountable, he will think twice abt fudging the law

Send your email also to:

SOH Wai Wah, PPA(P)
Director Public Affairs (Covering)
soh_wai_wah@spf.gov.sg

Commander Traffic Police
Ms NG Guat Ting, PK
ng_guat_ting@spf.gov.sg

Address to two of them only, dont send to too many people.

When you send to many people, everyone will hide under the smoke and you get no reply.

Send a reminder every 2 weeks or 1 week.

If there's still no response, send an email to the Prime Minister's Office saying why public servants can ignore emails.

That should get you started.

Send your email also to:

SOH Wai Wah, PPA(P)
soh_wai_wah@spf.gov.sg

Commander Traffic Police
Ms NG Guat Ting, PK
ng_guat_ting@spf.gov.sg

When you send to many people, everyone will hide under the smoke and you get no reply.

If there's still no response, send an email to the Prime Minister's Office saying why public servants can ignore emails.

Bro, power lah you. :thumbsup:

The first incident was happened on 19th July at about 0215 hrs on Grange Road.
While driving past the stretch of road, i saw a traffic accident happened and as a
hobbist photographer, i took the opportunity to snap...
U are driving and snapping? :bigeyes: Hmm.... ok, u might wanna rephrase this sentence. It really creates some serious misunderstanding.

For your info, my car was
parked more than 100m away from the scene and was not parking illegally at all.
I don't drive very frequently especially along Grange Road, but please enlighten me on the traffic laws if parking on double-yellow lines on a road is allowed in the first place? :think:

Nevermind that he don't even know where is my car.
Well, the TP ain't Superman.

The recent incident was happened in the morning on 29th July at about 0200
hrs on Nichol highway. This time, i parked my car few hundred meters away and
was completely out of sight from the accident scene.
Wait, hold on a second.... NICHOLL HIGHWAY AND U PARKED AT THE EMERGENCY LANE?

Can someone please enlighten me yet again on the traffic laws especially those taking BTT and ATT now if stopping/driving/parking at the Emergency Lane is allowed at anytime if there is no emergency at all and whether it constitutes a breach of traffic laws?

Would our Mr Lawyer here Mr Vince[number too long] please enlighten us on TP laws?

For the above two incidents, i was very mindful, i was also at least 10-20 meter
away from the accident scene. I was not standing on the road but on a pedestrian
pathment.
Wait a second.

U are 10-20m away frm accident scene? Ok, noted.
Where was ur car parked? Along the roadside? At the SH lane at Nicholl Highway (find me a pedestrian path at Nicholl Highway plz?)? :think: Hmmm.... Something doesn't fit. :think:

I do have my fair share of pleasant experienced with the traffic officers whom
didn't bother with spectacles taking pictures at the accident scene. Most of
these pictures can be commonly seen on the newspaper too.
Erm.... curious, but I believe ppl in the press covering accidents are required to display their press pass at any time in order to take photos to cover in the newspapers.

I have since posted my encounters on some of the on-line community forums, many
of the members are also keen to find out the rights of photography in public places.
U know, it would be hell interesting if we see a new nick called "LHL", "TP_Commander" or whatever relating to that to post here. More publicity! Yeah!!!

Yeo Boon Teck
Hi Mr Yeo. :cool:

I am sure that they are very upset liao..

However, in this incident, they should have talk to you in a nice manner and request u not to take the photo lor..
(if they may find it sensitive as it is a government vehicle).

I think they didn't bother, is that people can take photos in the public as long as they are outside the perimeter of the scene (where they work on) and not interfering them.. If it is so sensitive, they will be using the tape to block the place and cover the ambulance liao lor..

As to why, beats me.
simple lah, if the police allow 1 person to do, than he have to allow another person too, and then the third person also take out the camera, forth also coming, five is on the way, six is hear the news............ and later night86mare also come, but if he is being bar outside, he will post a thread in CS, and than the blar blar blar being again....

Send your email also to:

SOH Wai Wah, PPA(P)
soh_wai_wah@spf.gov.sg

Commander Traffic Police
Ms NG Guat Ting, PK
ng_guat_ting@spf.gov.sg

I guess you must be volunteering in RC works.

Send your email also to:

SOH Wai Wah, PPA(P)
soh_wai_wah@spf.gov.sg

Commander Traffic Police
Ms NG Guat Ting, PK
ng_guat_ting@spf.gov.sg

wah, you are so power!
i will send them my letter shortly.

well, since you have the channels to these big gun, i have another letter to be sent out
but has been holding back cos i dont have the appropriate information.

it is about an incident i witnessed at boat quay. 3 hooligans attacking a taxi driver. one
assailant was arrested at the scene but was released on the spot without arrest even the
taxi driver was just wheeled into an ambulance in full view of many spectators.

i will post the full story here shortly.

try putting it in STOMP.

bro, was my english really so lousy that made you misinterpre my words? :sweat:
nvm, let me explain clearly again.

U are driving and snapping? :bigeyes: Hmm.... ok, u might wanna rephrase this sentence. It really creates some serious misunderstanding.

my car was parked 100m away b4 i snap. not driving and taking pic.
i will post the pics i snap here shortly.

I don't drive very frequently especially along Grange Road, but please enlighten me on the traffic laws if parking on double-yellow lines on a road is allowed in the first place?

my car was parked far from the accident scene and was out of sight from where the
officer is, how could he possibly know i was parked illegally or not? double yellow lines?
did i say i parked my car along the road? no lah :nono:

Wait, hold on a second.... NICHOLL HIGHWAY AND U PARKED AT THE EMERGENCY LANE?

this time, the accident was happened on nicholl highway behind golden landmark. so,
i parked my car at golden landmark carpark. did i say i parked at the emergency lane?
no lah, i wouldn't be so dump to park on the highway and get screw for it lah.

U are 10-20m away frm accident scene? Ok, noted.
Where was ur car parked? Along the roadside? At the SH lane at Nicholl Highway (find me a pedestrian path at Nicholl Highway plz?)?

do you drive? you can find pedestrain path on both side of the highway. i was standing on
the path, not on the road.

Erm.... curious, but I believe ppl in the press covering accidents are required to display their press pass at any time in order to take photos to cover in the newspapers.

no lah, i'm just like any on-looker, not any reporter to cover news for newspaper. so why
do i need to display press pass? taking pic in public needs permit?

hopefully the authourity to read the way you read my posting. :sweat:

cheers ;)

If it was an offence, you would have been arrested or summoned.

Obstructing the work of public officers is an offence. Taking pictures, in and of itself, is not an offence, but doing so in a way that obstructs police, ambulance or other public officers is an offence.

try putting it in STOMP.

putting pic on stomp would be only drawing for abusive remarks by the readers.
full of kids on the block. :angry:

We have received a number of reports regarding this thread and are temporarily closing it while we seek guidance from the proper authorities (yes, we do have contacts within the police departments) on the purported "abuse of powers" as suggested by the threadstarter.

Please do not start any more threads with this vein until we can clarify. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.