Taking picture of Birds advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootwhat

Aug 1, 2009
Beside Jurong Point
Hi All,

I'm new here. Need some advice on taking picture of birds. I used to be using a Panasonic FZ20 with 12x optical zoom and added a Olympus Tele-con lens 1.7x with a converter due to budget constraint.

I've recently upgraded to a Canon 500D and a Sigma 18-250mm lens for my start up kits. I'm not able to afford those Ultra zoom lens which cost a bomb although those are on my dream list.

Can someone advice me what is the best way for me to fit in the Olympus Tele-con lens to my Sigma lens? Will this setup work for bird shooting or can pls give some budget suggestion :embrass:?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi shootwhat,

welcome to CS.

Look for a scope adapter and buy a decent telescope, it's the cheapest way to go birding.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Russian made Yukon, I know it's not a very good one but usually good enough for me to ID the birds. Any advice on where and how I can find out on the scope adapter for this scope maybe to a Nikon COOLPIX L16? It's very difficult to find any scope adapter and there are limited ones to only a few certain model of Nikon. Actually I still prefer trying out with DSLR so that I can pratice using all those features in the cam. If add in my Olympus 1.7x tele-con, 1.7x250mmx1.6 = 680mm ( calculation might be wrong :sweat:)I think still decent enough for birding nearby tree top. Anyone knows of a step down converter I can use for Olympus 1.7x Tel-con to a Sigma 72mm lens?

Any birding folks can advice if you only use 18-250mm lens or usually need some extra stuff to take small birds like Flower pecker, Sunbird , Spider hunter, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.