Taking pics in school hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circus1

Jun 14, 2006
What minimal gears should I have? The kit lens of D70s and inbuilt flash are really inadequate. If not for the 50mm f1.8 I may have no usable pics the other day. The 50mm seems too short :sweat:

Thank you

In school hall, you need more powerfull flash, SB800 is fine, most of the time you need to shoot with direct flash.
kit lens is good enough, for some shots, you need to walk up a bit, also can save up the battery power for the flash unit.

btw, use ISO 400~800

Is the lighting in the school hall really that bad? You could try adjusting your camera's ISO to a higher number,to help a little with handshake or movement of the subjectand adjusting the apeture would also help.So i think it should be possible to take useable pics.

We have very high ceiling with fluorescent lights in the hall :sweat: ...saw a thread about lightsphere..is that any use in this situation? Or I'm better off using direct flash SB800 to capture the speaker on the podium?

hi, maybe you can check out the lighting at the stage first. i take pictures in school hall quite often. thought e lighting on the floor might be dark, the stage is usually or. kit lens at ISO400 can do quite well. assuming you have the authority to move right to the front

Swatch said:
Is the lighting in the school hall really that bad? You could try adjusting your camera's ISO to a higher number,to help a little with handshake or movement of the subjectand adjusting the apeture would also help.So i think it should be possible to take useable pics.
yes it is.....and to think you are in one;p

Anyway, TS, from the front of the stage, Lightsphere or Bounce card will do just fine:)

on the stage? Call ur lighting people to get their ass up to control room to adjust lighting on stage for u?

chanxj said:
on the stage? Call ur lighting people to get their ass up to control room to adjust lighting on stage for u?

Fluorescent light,how to control :embrass: our school hall is more like a sports hall/multi-purpose hall

You school photographer huh? Is its the school's camera? I am my school's photographer, so I frequently have to take events not in a natural lit hall but in a dark cultural centre. I got no EF lens that is f/2.8 or lower so I have to use old Nikkor 105mm P.C. f/2.5. For hall or CC events alot of people make your pics very messy looking higher focal lengths is useful to capture emotion, facial expressions and portraits. A low low f-stop is a must. I tend not to use flash as it will cast shadows or give whitewashed pics. The hall's ceiling is too high. I never recommend direct flash and lightspheres diffuse the flash too much so use a bouncecard. You can makeshift one with white cardboard. Try to keep noise as low as possible at about 400 if possible. Also anticipate when a subject is going to stop moving to prevent subject motion blur. Also, train your steadiness to get handheld shots 1/10 and 1/15. Hope it helps.

Next event in school, i'm bringing a battery strobe and see how... Nobody will kajiao you if they know you're taking pics for them!

I thought most places they use Mercury Lamps which takes a while to warm up...

those will give a pretty yellowish glare to the shots. Do check it out first.

haha, i have taken a number of conerts... best thing to do... get in touch with the organisers, ie the teachers or student, then ask for permission or smth, its better, then get a rough idea of how the concert gonna go and postion yourself strategically...

Usually, the inbuilt flash shld work fine with ISO 800... most likley problems i faced as unbalanced fill flash (is this a correct term???:bsmilie: ) Try to get a flash unit, preferably SB-800, i believe there shld be some teacher photographers in your sch? try borrowing from them... (tt's wat i do, hehe) remeber to take good care of their flash units.

Don't bother asking the PA/AVA ppl to brighten up the stage, it might mess with your pics... especially if the stage lights are played in motion....(i rmb its called cue) anyway, those idiots will probably be busy with the music, let alone the lights (i was a PA boy b4)

worse comes to worse... get a bunch of flashlights... put them on a stand... and point them towards the stage and ON! :sweat:

O ya, remember to give a copy of the pictures u taken for the concert to the organisers, especially if u are doing freelance work... like me... so they rmb u and call u up nxt time( i don't belong to my college photography club... :cool:)

panzerpunk said:
Next event in school, i'm bringing a battery strobe and see how... Nobody will kajiao you if they know you're taking pics for them!

strobe. people will run away :bsmilie:

FuKiE said:
O ya, remember to give a copy of the pictures u taken for the concert to the organisers, especially if u are doing freelance work... like me... so they rmb u and call u up nxt time( i don't belong to my college photography club... :cool:)

Hehehe! Same thing, i enjoy putting people out of business :bsmilie:

well, if u want, give it to the school newsletter comm, and u might get your picture on the newsletter, with your name there!

who knows, your carrer might start from there on!

In alot of my school function, Flash is not allowed. So no choice shoot high ISO eg 800 and 1600 at 1/60sec F2.8-4(Use monopod). Results are not too bad. Noise is acceptable too. I find telezoom ge. 70-200 to be the most suitable in such situation. 50mm is a bit short.

If you do not have a monopod, try 70-200 F2.8 VR if you are using D70.

If all else fails, wear black, and move like you're in a stealth ops.

Do NOT use flash. You wouldn't want to be watching a performance and seeing the flash go off and blinding you every few seconds.

A bounce card will be totally useless. The shadows it creates will still be awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.