Taking pics... do we need approval ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
well recently i took sunset pics of Orchard from a roof of a building... but the security came up to me n told me to seek permission from the management before i can take any pics...

i thought that it was ok...

any comments ???

If you are in their building, permission should be requested. Taking outside from the street is fine, but not if you are in a building which is privately owned. The management has the right to stop you in the building.

also, since u're in town area, do be careful where you shoot or what u're shooting? there are a number of 'sensitive' locations in town area - the american club, british council, a few embassies etc. with 9-11, the security in and ard these areas are unbelievable! :bigeyes: here's a story from a fren of mine.

she bought a few of her relatives from overseas to town. near the thai embassy - just after tanglin mall, they decided to take a shot. so, my fren merrily took a few shots of her relatives. next thing she know, a couple of uniformed policemen appeared by her side! heck, she din even know where they popped up from! the policemen asked her why she taking photo here, wat she's taking etc...etc... only until they were convinced that she wasn't working for osama then they let her relatives and her off.

so, be careful, yah? esp near the US embassy opp SBG.... u take photos near there and you might just find the US navy SEALs dropping down on u! :bsmilie:

nightwolf75 said:
also, since u're in town area, do be careful where you shoot or what u're shooting? there are a number of 'sensitive' locations in town area - the american club, british council, a few embassies etc. with 9-11, the security in and ard these areas are unbelievable! :bigeyes: here's a story from a fren of mine.

she bought a few of her relatives from overseas to town. near the thai embassy - just after tanglin mall, they decided to take a shot. so, my fren merrily took a few shots of her relatives. next thing she know, a couple of uniformed policemen appeared by her side! heck, she din even know where they popped up from! the policemen asked her why she taking photo here, wat she's taking etc...etc... only until they were convinced that she wasn't working for osama then they let her relatives and her off.

so, be careful, yah? esp near the US embassy opp SBG.... u take photos near there and you might just find the US navy SEALs dropping down on u! :bsmilie:

:bigeyes: muz learn how to hold breathe in the pond near marsh garden liao :bsmilie:

Ask for permission first rather than misunderstanding somewhere later..
Tell them the photos are for your own purpose/project. normally the security will allow you to do so. but sometimes.. if they are in bad mood. you better watchout.. :devil:

nightwolf75 said:

wahaha....that bad? if i were ur friend i would be peeing in my pants already....poor thing she. but i mean cannot be blamed lar...all the terrorism and stuff...as long as the police guys don't go overboard like cuffing u to the tanglin police station then i suppose its ok las...i believe they are QUITE reasonable. :bsmilie:

I saw Harry one day. Wanted to point my camera at him but the guard held up his palm to block. Old Man may be scared I use his photo to place a curse, i think :)

Larren Chen said:
well recently i took sunset pics of Orchard from a roof of a building... but the security came up to me n told me to seek permission from the management before i can take any pics...

i thought that it was ok...

any comments ???

One more tips ...
dun carry [D]SLRs .... they will be less suspicious :bsmilie:

I carry my S602z inside my church .. .security dun say anything [ took > 10 snaps aso ]
when I carry my DSLR + medium zoom lens ... hehe .. they straightaway appeared behind my back and "NO PHOTO".

One of the church minister rang me a few days later to check of how I've been .. I raised this matter to him .. and he said .. there is no restriction of snapping inside our church .... :dunno:

well .. maybe next time I get the pass as the church preferred photographer :lovegrin:

jonlou said:
wahaha....that bad? if i were ur friend i would be peeing in my pants already....poor thing she. but i mean cannot be blamed lar...all the terrorism and stuff...as long as the police guys don't go overboard like cuffing u to the tanglin police station then i suppose its ok las...i believe they are QUITE reasonable. :bsmilie:

yeah... i would have crapped in my pants too... :confused:

bottom line - just be careful shooting in town or other sensitive areas. like b18 said, just dun carry a big DSLR and walk ard these areas unless u got permission.

Similar experience-
Tt time i was like 500m away from JJC trying to take a foto of e sky overhead of JJC. This police woman stopped me and asked me to go in with her into the police post nearby. Asked me my particulars..blahzz..asked me if I had permission. OF course I didnt. Told me not take photos especially when I dont have permission. I was damn pissed tt day lorzz..
I was thinking wat was the world coming to..

Paperkurt said:
Similar experience-
Tt time i was like 500m away from JJC trying to take a foto of e sky overhead of JJC. This police woman stopped me and asked me to go in with her into the police post nearby. Asked me my particulars..blahzz..asked me if I had permission. OF course I didnt. Told me not take photos especially when I dont have permission. I was damn pissed tt day lorzz..

I think u can counter sue her. She has no right to bring you to police station based on just little evidence. Find a lawyer and write a letter to HQ and remember to ask her ID numbers.

huhz??..
No money manzz...nvm lahzz deterrence lahzz..
haha..

Larren Chen said:
wa... but there is freedom for photographers to take pics ma... though sometimes need to seek permission... :)

within limits lah... this is s'pore we are talking abt leh... with all these security alerts etc, if i was a police officer, i also catch first, questions later! :D

but, seriously, paperkurt, i din know the police are so anal now! u were shooting the sky line of a school and she so jumpy!!?? :dunno: think she over-reacted lah. thot u shooting her police station! :bigeyes:

nightwolf75 said:
within limits lah... this is s'pore we are talking abt leh... with all these security alerts etc, if i was a police officer, i also catch first, questions later! :D

but, seriously, paperkurt, i din know the police are so anal now! u were shooting the sky line of a school and she so jumpy!!?? :dunno: think she over-reacted lah. thot u shooting her police station! :bigeyes:

oh ya... forget about the security things... well u r right... but think we need to be able to answer question when security or police ask wat r we doing... :)

Larren Chen said:
oh ya... forget about the security things... well u r right... but think we need to be able to answer question when security or police ask wat r we doing... :)

The answer is the same what ?
Shooting for school projects :vhappy: [which school ... well make one up ;) ]

b18 said:
The answer is the same what ?
Shooting for school projects :vhappy: [which school ... well make one up ;) ]

erm what's wrong with the truth?

scully she free free call up school and check, then you will really be in deep 'dark brown muck which comes out from your ass'

Paperkurt said:
Similar experience-

What does JJC stands for? You should have ask the policewoman if what offence, if any, has been committed by you. Whose permission do you need? At times, we, as photographers need to stand up. Ask for clarification politely. Only then, will you understand. Do not be cowed by the law enforcers in blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.