Taking photos without one's permission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriGri

Deregistered
Mar 27, 2005
GB
meettomy.site
A friend of mine recently snapped a photo of a foreign baby at SBG. The parents saw him taking the photo and insisted him to remove it from his camera.

May I know is it legal to take photo of people in the public without their permission?

Also does the person shot in the picture have the right to ask for the photo to be deleted?

From what I had heard it's alright to take photo of peoples but not supposed to distribute without the person's permission.

Are there any laws or acts to back this up? :think:

fair game if you are in public.

you can, if you want to be nasty

normally i will show the parents and ask for their email address
then send them a copy

still, taking snap shots of other people's kids can be .... touchy ... eventhough, as long as the subject is in a public place, and you have not shot something the depicted the subject in some negative light ... you are fine

So what if the person come and tell me 'I don't want my photos to be taken, please delete it.'? Can I say no?

sure...then you publish it can get your @$$ sued...you want?

So what if the person come and tell me 'I don't want my photos to be taken, please delete it.'? Can I say no?

Same logic applies when somebody point his/her camera and start to take your picture. You have the right to say "no" also.

Singapore is still rather a conservative country, most ppl I know dun not like their photos to be taken without their permission. Who knows what you will do with those photos.

Just be abit more sensitive and delete them when you are asked to before things turn ugly

Having a camera in public doesn't grant you the rights to take pictures without the person consent. :)

Thank you
More good years ahead......

Well, um, you can say no. But the other party will definitely be pissed off.

I think I have watched something about this on CNA. The lawyer being interviewed said that it is alright to take pics of people in public. They cannot engage a case with you because everybody is in a public place. But then he stressed that we should do it with courtesy and if they don't like it, we should stop, in case things turn ugly.

though it may be legal, but I will not feel good if the parents are irritated by my phototaking.

Well, um, you can say no. But the other party will definitely be pissed off.

I think I have watched something about this on CNA. The lawyer being interviewed said that it is alright to take pics of people in public. They cannot engage a case with you because everybody is in a public place. But then he stressed that we should do it with courtesy and if they don't like it, we should stop, in case things turn ugly.

this is sound advice. not only is it the ethical thing to do it will allow you to try to build a rapport with the subject in question and who knows maybe you might be able to come out with it with an even better shot instead of being nasty.

regardless where's the ethics?

just stating a point that they cannot sue you as they will not have a case
but if you use the image commercially, that is a different story

normally i will ask first,

i will bring my camera up and smile at the parents first
signal to them that i would like to take a picture.

then send them the photo via email.

so far no rejections :)

just stating a point that they cannot sue you as they will not have a case
but if you use the image commercially, that is a different story

normally i will ask first,

i will bring my camera up and smile at the parents first
signal to them that i would like to take a picture.

then send them the photo via email.

so far no rejections :)

Old bird is old bird.
Professional approach
:cool:

More good years for u

Strictly, if you are asking on the ground of legality, you can of course say no. From the occasions i got caught, i guess, people may just feel better if we can at least ask for some kind of permission when comes to taking pictures of baby or kids. More so if the parent is in the line of sight. This is just how it is. We are too obsess with respect la! :sweatsm:

I have encounters with locals too. I just walk away after they signalling me with their No picture gesture.

I have not come across anyone that insist that I MUST delete. But if I were to met someone who are "aggresive" enough to ask me to, i will probably consider and delete lo! May not worth to escalate the incident to something else. If it is important enough, use recovery software and restore it if the photo is worth keeping. For me usually not. :bsmilie:

Same la if I have some guy came over and ask for my wife phone number and ask her out in front of me. Anything wrong legally? Of course not. But at least look at me ask "Can or not?"

What happends we decide later la! ;)

The Singapore Constitution is based on the British system and does not contain any explicit right to privacy.
from the Constitution of the Republic of Singapore, 16 September 1963. <http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/law/sn00t___.html>

can read here as well

http://www.privacyinternational.org/survey/phr2003/countries/singapore.htm

Photography brings joy to people, not irritate people!!!:lovegrin:

It is not illegal to take pictures of people in public but do spare a thought for others privacy and consider their feelings. I had my own fair of struggle too. Even as an official photographer for some events does not grant me the right to snap anybody's photos. Though normally I shoot in a context, and people will understand that I'm just doing my job but what is the point of taking pictures to irritate people? There are always better things to shoot or if really need to shoot without permission, shoot the person in good light and not when the person is at his ugliest moment.

When photographing babies, be considerate and ask for permission. Otherwise pple may think the photographer has baby fetish or some sort.

u wan good karma - delete
u wan bad karma - dun delete...

cos if u dun like your pics to be taken as well, then you should give some respect to people when they verbally requested for it to be deleted.

who knows next minute a person took a picture of you in some 'compromised' action and post it here...

Status
Not open for further replies.