taking photos w/o flash using SLR


Status
Not open for further replies.

coconut

New Member
Sep 20, 2003
11
0
0
Visit site
#1
hope that someone can give me some helps.

there are instances when i wan to take photos for staged events eg. dances, acts, plays etc. , where flashed photography is prohibited. and normally this events in held in a hall where there is no or little lights present. in that case, how do i possible take any photos without using the flash???

even with aperture 1/4.5 may not help. setting the shutter speed to as slow a 1/2 or slower is out of question if i wan to take an instant moment.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
 

mpenza

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
12,938
0
0
Singapore
www.instagram.com
#2
use faster film or higher ISO (e.g. ISO 800, 1600) (or ask to turn on the lights!!! ;p )? there're also faster lenses out there that you could get, e.g. f/1.4, f/1.8 that give you a faster shutter speed. else, try to get support (e.g. monopod or tripod) and hope the actors, dancers don't move too much for the shutter speed to freeze them.

if the above list can't help, just sit back and enjoy the show.
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#3
You can

1. Use higher ISO films ie ISO800, 1600, 3200
2. Use faster lenses ie F1.8, 2.8
3. Use tripod and hope that the shutter is fast enough to capture the moment.
 

Newman

New Member
Mar 2, 2003
943
0
0
TBC
#5
Cable release or remote control also helps to prevent camera shake that can be caused by pressing shutter when camera is mounted on tripod.
 

tweakmax

Senior Member
Feb 3, 2002
643
0
16
Visit site
#6
coconut said:
hope that someone can give me some helps.

there are instances when i wan to take photos for staged events eg. dances, acts, plays etc. , where flashed photography is prohibited. and normally this events in held in a hall where there is no or little lights present. in that case, how do i possible take any photos without using the flash???

even with aperture 1/4.5 may not help. setting the shutter speed to as slow a 1/2 or slower is out of question if i wan to take an instant moment.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
my karate club's tournament pics taken with ISO1600 F1.8

lighting is very bad but managed to freeze the action

http://www.pbase.com/laoda/sg_selection
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#8
SuRfTeC said:
using film or digital?

cos if use digital... at ISO1600 will you get noise??
It'll depend on what kind of digital you talking abt here. As far as I'm concern, DSLR and consumer level Digital Camera high ISO are very different due to the CCD/CMOS size.

Anyway, the treadstarter state SLR which I believe is refering ti the film based body.
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#11
Zplus said:
Actually, film also has noise....
It depends on how large you wanna print, which affects how visible the noise is...
Excuse mi....


It not known as noise ;(
That film grain we are talking abt. PLS get that point straight! :blah: :blah: :blah:

Anyway, sometimes a bit of grain in film esp b/w............ :heart:
 

coke21

New Member
May 12, 2003
706
0
0
42
East
Visit site
#12
Bluestrike said:
Excuse mi....


It not known as noise ;(
That film grain we are talking abt. PLS get that point straight! :blah: :blah: :blah:

Anyway, sometimes a bit of grain in film esp b/w............ :heart:
Well grain on B&W can be very nice if done properly...:D
 

ST1100

Senior Member
Jun 18, 2003
1,785
0
0
Singapore, Bedok
#13
The cheapest f1.x lenses are the 50mm ones. Prices go up very fast on the wide and long end.
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#14
ST1100 said:
The cheapest f1.x lenses are the 50mm ones. Prices go up very fast on the wide and long end.
Yeah agreed with you.

well the 85/1.8 is another good one to have! :p

Anyway, hope the tread starter read all this.....
 

coconut

New Member
Sep 20, 2003
11
0
0
Visit site
#16
Bluestrike said:
Yeah agreed with you.

well the 85/1.8 is another good one to have! :p

Anyway, hope the tread starter read all this.....

ya..haha...of course reading.. :cool:

just that currently i dun have the budget to get the necessary stuff... eg lens..cable release etc.

dun really like to take photos for these events...but just got to cover some plays for my committees.

thanks for all the replies and hope that there are more to come... :bsmilie:
 

Oct 4, 2003
82
0
6
#17
mpenza said:
use faster film or higher ISO (e.g. ISO 800, 1600) (or ask to turn on the lights!!! ;p )? there're also faster lenses out there that you could get, e.g. f/1.4, f/1.8 that give you a faster shutter speed. else, try to get support (e.g. monopod or tripod) and hope the actors, dancers don't move too much for the shutter speed to freeze them.

if the above list can't help, just sit back and enjoy the show.
hahaha.........buay tah han you....
 

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
6,598
0
0
38
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
#18
just shot my schoolboys' musical for the last 3 days - was using settings varying from -
ISO 400, f/1.8, 1/100s,
ISO 400, f2.8, 1/80s,
ISO 400, f/3.5-4.5, 1/30-1/40s,
ISO 800, f/1.8, 1/30s (UV Scene, so have to increase massively)

of course there were announcements of flash photography not being allowed. :)
 

Ah Pao

Senior Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,662
0
36
Singapore
www.facebook.com
#19
Instead of getting fast films and fast lenses, why not just cut down the distance between you and the stage? One con of this suggestion is that you'll be unable to capture the whole stage at one go, but usually depends on what you're looking for.

Otherwise, get a wide-angle lens to shoot the whole stage and a moderate telephoto zoom to capture close-ups. I would personally recommend at least ISO 800. I would rather trade off grains for speed (given committees usually don't expect anything larger than 4R).

I guess more importantly, it's good to know the flow of the performance, expecting who will come on stage at where at when so that you can point your zoom at the correct place. May want to try manual focus as the dim lighting may throw the AF off.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom