Taking photos in USS

jamesco

Jan 30, 2007
hello!,

just wondering which settings will be nice to take photos of pple at universal studio at night with background?

i do read before using rear flash? i dun have an external flash

and i have a 50 1.8 and a 18-105 kit lens..

i will be heading over there tonight haaa:)

thanks!

hello!,

just wondering which settings will be nice to take photos of pple at universal studio at night with background?

thanks!
external flash has limited benefit in this instance, unless you can light up the entire background with your external flash! :bsmilie:

what you want is a long enough exposure (ie slow shutter speed) to properly expose the background, then flash to expose the subjects.

Your D90 should have 'slow' or 'rear' flash mode. You can use either up to your preference. But you need to keep your camera absolutely steady, and the subjects also need to keep still. Probably 1/2-1s is the slowest you can go.

a bit late to be asking such tough questions though.... too late to learn!

Your D90 should have 'slow' or 'rear' flash mode. You can use either up to your preference. But you need to keep your camera absolutely steady, and the subjects also need to keep still. Probably 1/2-1s is the slowest you can go.

If there is almost no light shining on your subjects then it is okay for them to not stay absolutely rigid.

Just beware that when you set your camera to rear curtain sync the camera will still flash once (for metering) and your subjects should not think that the exposure is over.

If there is almost no light shining on your subjects then it is okay for them to not stay absolutely rigid.

Just beware that when you set your camera to rear curtain sync the camera will still flash once (for metering) and your subjects should not think that the exposure is over.

hahahah yeah.. I remember that happened a few times for the group photo! :)

hello!,

thanks!

Haa.. saw this post too late sia.. Thats rear curtain sync.

Anyway, just to contribute.. rule of thumb being.. enough iso and dof and ur subjects remain motionless for that 1-2s of shutter duration.. an external flashgun with the proper diffuser helps as on board can only give u this "much" and direct flash, so there's limitations..

I think TS is still waiting at Universal Studios, standing there waiting for Battlestar Galactica to start operation :bsmilie:

a lot of people interested in flash photography at night, whilst capturing the background... maybe can teach them that during Newbies Outing 12.

a lot of people interested in flash photography at night, whilst capturing the background... maybe can teach them that during Newbies Outing 12.

Yea... we can do a flash group outing. That is a good one. But need to find model. maybe try to go borrow a mannequin or something.

I second a newbies outing for flash photography! Any gurus around to teach us noobs? :)
I'm also quite novice, but happy to share what I know.
It pretty much boils down to experience once you
know the basics.

I'm also quite novice, but happy to share what I know.
It pretty much boils down to experience once you
know the basics.

Got guru... in post #6.. ;)

But due to the different systems doing it differently, if we do wireless via commander, we have to do a Nikon only outing. Unless we are using 3rd party triggers, then we need to get our hands on a light meter.

But due to the different systems doing it differently, if we do wireless via commander, we have to do a Nikon only outing. Unless we are using 3rd party triggers, then we need to get our hands on a light meter.

to do with many flashes will become strobist outing... that one must plan properly... :D

but for the Newbies Outing #12, if anyone has an external flash and not sure how to shoot people + background, I can try to show them...

I managed to do it with D80/T12-24 + SB400 + tripod when I photographed my parents and myself at Esplanade waterfront one evening.

to do with many flashes will become strobist outing... that one must plan properly... :D

but for the Newbies Outing #12, if anyone has an external flash and not sure how to shoot people + background, I can try to show them...

I managed to do it with D80/T12-24 + SB400 + tripod when I photographed my parents and myself at Esplanade waterfront one evening.

good job if you are able to teach us, including me whom is still noob at above :thumbsup:

Yea... we can do a flash group outing. That is a good one. But need to find model. maybe try to go borrow a mannequin or something.

maybe they can just photograph each other :)

I am all in for the idea.. :)

Not need mannequin lar bro.. just the newbies themselves.. :lovegrin:

:sweatsm:

Pls tell me u nt referring to me bro.. haha... but most willing to share what i know..hee..

Yup.. there's limitations nonetheless.. and base on prior expereince with Nikon CLS, its rather inconsistent outdoors as the signals will get lost in transmission easily.

And for manual flash firing, a gd light metter (like those of sekonic) will definitely come handy.. if not we will do most of the guess work depends on mutliple factors like flash to subject distance, cam to subject distance etc.