Taking photos from public place

wildcat

Sep 8, 2004
Bedok
Sun is looking good today; decided to have a try at shooting buildings again. At Gateway, all prepared to be stopped from taking photo (because it has happened to me and some others before) even though I am standing at the edge of the main road (Beach Road) by the public walkway. The first security person kept insisting cannot take despite me saying it was public area. As expected, reason is "Management" say cannot take. So I kept pushing him to give me the name and contact of "Management". After a few tries (and me trying to pacify him saying he's just doing his job and I just want to clarify with whoever is giving him instructions), he pointed me to FC and...

repeat above with second guy, this time wearing "Security" tag on his uniform. Repeat same pacify (you're just doing your job, I understand, but I just want to talk to the "Management" who is giving the instructions). After he understands I am "not trying to make his job difficult, he's just following instructions", a third (actually by now, I am surrounded by 6 guys already) security guard came and was very defensive.

Kept saying how this is private property and I am considered trespassing. Naturally I disagreed and explained to him how I understand the taking of pictures of certain government and sensitive buildings like Parliament can be considered but not in a public area like this. Blah blah blah.

Finally got a reply that "Management" has gone off. No problem. I can be back tomorrow... afterall, I work in this building (tried getting my tenant name but I didn't offer), and finally got a "S S/O MAYAKRISNA" with a contact number to call tomorrow.

... to be contd. :)

wow i didnt know it was trespassing if ure in a public area.....

Get them to clarify where their jurisdiction starts and ends...

Security is ridiculous to stop you. Next time, do as I what told you and the rest of the guys on the outing with ZerocoolAstra ... Ghillie suit and 400mm telezoom hiding at the bus stop opposite gateway! Hehehhe

r u ang mo? i bet if u are ang mo, they will not stop u..

It's true, if you are standing on a public area and shooting, you are not trespassing. Exception for government buildings. Like mentioned, they are just doing their job. We as photographers, perhaps be more discrete bout shooting? Don't need to announce to the whole world, but then again we don't need to hide one corner and snipe to arouse suspicions. Hehe :bsmilie:

Heh, okay. Thanks for the feedback... will definitely take note of suggestions and give my feedback to "Management"... if I ever find the top guy. It seems like I'm just being routed from one security person to another and I have a feeling this might have been something they implemented on their own.

If it happen to me, I will tell them I either standing in road reserve own by lta, drain reserve own by pub or the side table own by npark. I will tell those security that any haressment from them, I will reserve my right to call the police or media, and warn them it might risk them losing their job. If they are still not happy, just them to report police.

Those security guard will keep telling me that they just follow orders and nag nag nag. I will keep shooting and just walk off after I finish my shot.

Basically, they are lost and can't do anytime to you.

If it happen to me, I will tell them I either standing in road reserve own by lta, drain reserve own by pub or the side table own by npark. I will tell those security that any haressment from them, I will reserve my right to call the police or media, and warn them it might risk them losing their job. If they are still not happy, just them to report police.

Those security guard will keep telling me that they just follow orders and nag nag nag. I will keep shooting and just walk off after I finish my shot.

Basically, they are lost and can't do anytime to you.

i think basically most of them want photographers to just go on their way and don't make their life difficult. That's why i would prefer shoot and faster go off...everybody is happy that way, i get my shot, the security don't have to answer too much to their bosses if nobody spots me. :bsmilie:

i think basically most of them want photographers to just go on their way and don't make their life difficult. That's why i would prefer shoot and faster go off...everybody is happy that way, i get my shot, the security don't have to answer too much to their bosses if nobody spots me. :bsmilie:

to do this, you must already have in mind what you want to shoot and what sort of angle to shoot from. some people would shoot, preview and shoot again. by this time... too late liao.

Oh that explains why i was being stopped from taking photo at National Library?
I thought the security is worried that we are terrorist? ... Trying to map the location?
Or i too imaginative ... :bsmilie:

Oh that explains why i was being stopped from taking photo at National Library?
I thought the security is worried that we are terrorist? ... Trying to map the location?
Or i too imaginative ... :bsmilie:

you were stopped at national library? a few years ago i was shooting a friend against the railing outside the library when the security guard approached to tell my friend to be careful. he then suggested i go up to the 9th floor open terrace to shoot. said the view very nice. ;p

get a signed petition from the members here, and submit to the Ministries ...:dunno:
some building management really must be taught some lessons on friendly public relations.

Last week I was walking into Wheelock Place and just about to take out my little camera, GF1 and aimed at the cone ceiling and before I clicked, immediately a security guard tapped on me and warned me that photography is not allowed.

So i asked him who said that.
He said: Management.
I asked: What management? Who is the management?
He said: My bosses.
I asked: Did they say what is the reason.
He kept quiet, and kept mumbling ....
So I told him: Ask your management to tell you some good reasons so that it will not make you look so stupid while trying to make you look so clever looking.
I then walked out of the building.
Again, like everyone say, I dont think i will be asked to stop taking a photo if i am another Angmo. :dunno:

I suppose that day Borders lost a customer as I was going to buy 2 books as gifts.

get a signed petition from the members here, and submit to the Ministries ...:dunno:
some building management really must be taught some lessons on friendly public relations.

Last week I was walking into Wheelock Place and just about to take out my little camera, GF1 and aimed at the cone ceiling and before I clicked, immediately a security guard tapped on me and warned me that photography is not allowed.

So I told him: Ask your management to tell you some good reasons so that it will not make you look so stupid while trying to make you look so clever looking.
Again, like everyone say, I dont think i will be asked to stop taking a photo if i am another Angmo. :dunno:

I suppose that day Borders lost a customer as I was going to buy 2 books as gifts.

yeah wheelock security seems to be sticky on that.

Another fack-off building management team is from the Parkview Square building along North Bridge Road. Tried taking the big "crane" and kanna told off that the high class, expensive building is out of bound for photographers (probably those who don't look like HK tycoons) :dunno:

But you can see old angmo couples enjoying their shooting inside at times when you walk pass.

At least Wheelock is a private estate though... Indeed his 'bosses' might have disallowed photography and its their right to do so. On a public road however...

And there's no need to be nasty to security personnel imo, it makes it even harder for other photographers.