taking photograph for a big group

Status
Not open for further replies.

cast123

Nov 28, 2003
Spore
Visit site
hi people, wonder what are the equipment needed to take photograph a large group of people?

My lecturer is thinking of taking a group photo of the whole course. Estimated ard 120 people :sweat: . This is not possible for normal digital camera rite? not even with wide angle lens attached :think: . Wonder what type of equipment/camera is needed in order to squeeze the whole lot of 120 into the frame? :dunno:

Or anyone is providing this service?(pls pm me the charges)

Tks! :)

use a super wide angle lens (12mm or lower) with a full frame DSLR... (namely the 1Ds & 1Ds MkII)

if not use film also can... heheh... but when u wan 120 ppl in the picture, u have to have at least 4 slave flash (assuming 3 lines, 40 per line...) den need a big clearance as well...

i think alot of wedding photography experts can help here...

can probably take with multiple rows.... maybe ~8 rows with 15 persons in each row? would be easier to take on steps I think.

the only way is to do it outdoors on a day of fine weather, so that you can avoid using flash.

two ways to arrange them
1) do it at a grandstand, so that you can arrange them in rows
2) arrange them on a tarmac or open grass area and shoot them from a higher angle.

always make sure they got your attention when you give them instructions. this is often very frustrating, especially when people don't listen to you.

or you can try shooting from high up, looking down at them. I did a shot of a group of 170 ppl from 1 story up, at about 6pm, outdoors without flash. I did this with a dimage 7hi, which is 5mp. didnt even need to use the widest angle, and the picture was good enough that everyone's face is still recogisable at several times magnification

oh, ya, try to find a megaphone or something so everyone can hear you when you give the cue. i took abt 5-6 shots, but in all , thre will be one guy who will not be looking at the camera.... :(

dslr will do.... 6mp then print 8X12... outdooors with 19mm can liao

12mm the distortion will be too great to get a normal looking shot la

i got a photo with 160 ppl in it like tt..in 4-5 rolls... catch is every person will not be very 'large" coz of print size...

cheers....

tks for all the suggestion. :thumbsup:

The shoot will take place outdoor on a week day.
Sad to say i dont own any DSLR only a prosumer S602z :sweat:
Dont think i am capable of taking the shoot(too much a responsibility for a newbie :sweat: )

Wonder anyone can offer any help? The shoot is at temasek poly engineering sch. Anyone study there?
Do let me know if you guys can help out for a fee. Also do let me know ur charges :) Maybe we can work things out. :)

Actually if they are not too picky the S602Z will do lah... so big group nobody expects to see every detail on their face...

Just bring em outdoors, stack up some benches and snap away... at most put one tripod...

enivre said:
Actually if they are not too picky the S602Z will do lah... so big group nobody expects to see every detail on their face...

Just bring em outdoors, stack up some benches and snap away... at most put one tripod...

The planning commitee also think this way, if worst come to worst i'll give it a try and hope for the best ;p

But for group photo shoot what kind of setting is recomended?
Use aperture pirority or manual?
Can anyone suggest some settings? :dunno:

Cast, it's not about settings (if you're working in film. If in digital, leave it up to auto WB if shooting outdoors). If working in film, bracket like hell!

You will find, as you go along the way,probably, your greatest problems would be of a logistical nature.

Since you asked for technical assistance, I would strongly suggest yo shoot in 120 format ... at the very least. Since you're a student at a poly/technical instituition, see if you can explore options to borrow equipment from your photographic club/association (preferably 120 or 4x5).

All the best! Cheers!

Feinwerkbau said:
Cast, it's not about settings (if you're working in film. If in digital, leave it up to auto WB if shooting outdoors). If working in film, bracket like hell!

You will find, as you go along the way,probably, your greatest problems would be of a logistical nature.

Since you asked for technical assistance, I would strongly suggest yo shoot in 120 format ... at the very least. Since you're a student at a poly/technical instituition, see if you can explore options to borrow equipment from your photographic club/association (preferably 120 or 4x5).

All the best! Cheers!

tks for the reply Feinwerkbau, I'll be using digital. A fuji S602Z if we really have no choice.U stated 120mm format is it using film?sorry lah, newbie here dont actually understand these technical terms :sweat:

try to see if anyone in ya school have dslr anot lo.... shoot with small aperture.... to little DOF later the front roll can see the back roll the heads become bokeh....

haha....

Witness said:
try to see if anyone in ya school have dslr anot lo.... shoot with small aperture.... to little DOF later the front roll can see the back roll the heads become bokeh....

haha....

haha wait i kena wack by the people on the back roll :bsmilie:

no lar, compact digital camera has better DOF @ same aperture setting as compare to DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.