Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyesthruthelens

Deregistered
Sep 3, 2003
Sengkang
Visit site
Hi,
Just wonder why people want to take photo at higher ISO setting when we already know that there are more noise? :think:

rncw said:
not enuff light... shutter speed not fast enuff :)

Thanks.. as I've being taking photos at the lowest ISO setting all the time.. but again, you are reducing the picture quality.. at higher ISO.
Does it make sense to use higher ISO for camera like Canon G series? Is the photo acceptable?

Eyesthruthelens said:
Does it make sense to use higher ISO for camera like Canon G series? Is the photo acceptable?

really up to you.

normally on the g series i will only use iso50 or 100. the rest, if i want a gainly look in b/w then i'll use.

on a DSLR for example,i can go to iso 800 with ease, again, depends on models some say the 20D iso1600 is usable. I do not have the camera to confirm it.

Actually some DSLR cameras can use ISO800 without any obvious noise problem :)

fengwei said:
Actually some DSLR cameras can use ISO800 without any obvious noise problem :)
If the image is exposed correctly, you shouldn't see noise at ISO800. :)

Anyway a lot of noise reduction tools out there, can check it out.

In my point of view, there are 3 reasons why higher ISO settings are used in taking photographs:

1. Shutter speed not fast enough, need to push to faster shutter speed
  2. Ambient lighting to low.
  3. For special effects, especially black and white, and sepia

The rest, please add to complete the list, if there're any. :)

Eyesthruthelens said:
Hi,
Just wonder why people want to take photo at higher ISO setting when we already know that there are more noise? :think:

heheh...this is akin to "thinking outside of the box". Before we even talk about digital camera with all those various ISO setting. I am wondering out loub how many here had shot film before digital and know that you could buy 35mm film tat is faster then the usual ASA100. We have ( and still do) ASA 200,400,1000 and 1600 and for all those Pro or serious hobbist..how about ASA 25, ASA 50 and ASA 64. If I got it correct, higher ISO begets very bad grains and are bad for a picture therefore...... those using ASA 100 are silly not to use ASA 25 or 64 slides as they give the BEST and only logical choice of "standard" when you consider yourself a "photographer" hehe Look guys I am not trying to step on toes...okay maybe abit drama but think for a moment....how many here think if there are sign of grains in your photo would means you have choose a wrong setting or worst made a lousy choice in using higher ISO setting and shot a bad picture???

As I mentioned in another thread. Photography is not about equipment and also at times not about supposed "standard" or ultimate rules of photography....well at least not where grains are concern. How many here have seen some of the great shots done by photo journalist whether in colour or in b/w and it had not just grains but coarse ones too...did the story in the picture effect you or did the big grains put you off it? If the issue of grain is that "taboo" why selling higher ISO film and why have those setting in the SLR and DSLR camera? It is a tool my fellow forummers.. A tool which if you given it a chance can be another avenue to enhance your own stories in your pictures.

I use to use a lot of ASA400 when I was shooting film. Yes there is grains and yes it does not look as nice when blown really big. But then again..so what? In some of those shots the grain is more welcome then the lack of exposure for a shot that was taken in a dim lit room which also causes more blurs as you really have to slow the sutter speed down to get more light. And sometime using of the flash is not permitted or sometime flash work is just too contrasty..so shooting under available light is preferred. It is better then nothing and usually your family members and friends will not mind it given it is the story in the picture that is more important. Yes I have had some individuals who saw it and said it looked so grainy and will not look good when enlarged. Firstly..I might not want to enlarge it. And even if I did, there are folk that might like it for other reasons then worry about the grain. And usually the one giving me this comment about grain are some Sunday Photographer hobbist. So I ask myself...who am I trying to please? Sure I love to shoot a super sharp fine grain shot..there is a time and reason for doing so of course! heheh.. BUt sometime..the same reason would go for certain shoot being better and more impactfull if I used b/w film instead of shooting it in colour. The thing is ....is the photo you shoot pleasing to you. If grain is that bad...photoshop will not even include that plug-in in their program heheh.

If you let such things as one person's comment limit or effect your range of photo technique and expression that will be a sad day for photography. Neurotic purist are everywhere in every field or interest. If you read professionally wirtten book..they might tell you this film is grainier then this other one...blah blah...but you will never hear those books continue by saying that it is taboo to accept grains or that using faster but grainier film is a bad thing. It is just difference. Even with my D70 I sometime shoot at 1600. Yes grainy but it still looked good with the right subject and approach. And sometime if I felt the grain is not working for the creative look I might even use photoshop to add a canvas painting effect to it...which now smoothen the grains out and made it look like a water painting. That can work well too. Because I am pursuing an end look and creative expression and that does not alway mean I stop at the clicking of a shutter button all the time. Digital photography is really pushing what photography was about 10-20 yrs before. It has advance the methology and combine itself to other media and technique offering you now more powerful ways of expressing yourself. If you are willing to embrace and open your mind to it you find that even a badly shot picture can be made into a good one. TO hell with the rules of photography....rules are meant to be broken. Sometime it is the only way for you to be unique and have something that stand out from the convention. Anyone here saw Captain Sky at the cinema? Look at the nostagic colouring and grainy look to the whole show? Did the grain bother you or did it "wow" you and it was put to great use to enhance the movie. Grain might not work in some situation but that does not mean it does not have alot of other uses too. Open your mind's eyes..... :)

Sometimes if all else fail and you really need to take the shots at a party or what ever the situation would be...would you not be happy at least you can still shoot something by increasing the ISO on your camera..especially when you forgot to bring the flash or the flash is not enough.

sammy888 said:
Anyone here saw Captain Sky at the cinema? Look at the nostagic colouring and grainy look to the whole show? Did the grain bother you or did it "wow" you and it was put to great use to enhance the movie. Grain might not work in some situation but that does not mean it does not have alot of other uses too. Open your mind's eyes..... :)

Din watch the show but......I always like SB's logo cum trailer that runs just before a show starts. So nostagic and romantic. It looks grainy too :) haha maybe i'm crazy!

I use fast shutter speed primarily when I need to freeze the subject without using flash as the main source of lighting.

Hi,
Thanks for the info share.. especially from sammy888. Well said.
Ha .. now I know why... and I'll try out higher ISO for faster speed at low light area.. always have this problem..
now I know what to do.. :D

Eyesthruthelens said:
Hi,
Thanks for the info share.. especially from sammy888. Well said.
Ha .. now I know why... and I'll try out higher ISO for faster speed at low light area.. always have this problem..
now I know what to do.. :D

Just remember not over done it, especially in bright sunny day ;) Too much use of high ISO might damage your sensor under bright light condition (that's what I read, pls correct me if I'm wrong :) )

Happy shooting!

If I have a choice, I won't have using high ISO setting but if there is limitation on the speed and the aperture, the only choice is to boost up the ISO, or dun take the shot, or to use a tripod but it may cause motion blurrrr....

See ppl fixed the aperture and spped and let the DSLR (Nikon) to choose the ISO level when taking photo too.

Anyway, happy with my digic sensor which provide almost no noise even at iso 800. and again, no worry if you are printing only 4R.

;)

If printing 4R only, 20D allow you to use ISO 1600 easily. ISO 800 allow to print up to 8R without any visble noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.