Taking Outdoor Portraits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Ong

Apr 15, 2004
Dear Guys,

I am going to take pics of 2 graduating frens this Saturday. Kindly advise how to take outdoor portrait pictures. Any good places to reco? They are thinking of going to Esplanade.

I using F80 with SB80DX flash. It would be good if someone can show me on a drawing showing the position of the photograher and his subjects when taking outdoor portraits.

Kindly advise how should i position my flash? Do i use fill-flash straight on or use bounce card tilting at a certain angle?

Looking forward to receiving your reply.

Kam Sia

Bernard Ong said:
Dear Guys,

I am going to take pics of 2 graduating frens this Saturday. Kindly advise how to take outdoor portrait pictures. Any good places to reco? They are thinking of going to Esplanade.

I using F80 with SB80DX flash. It would be good if someone can show me on a drawing showing the position of the photograher and his subjects when taking outdoor portraits.

Kindly advise how should i position my flash? Do i use fill-flash straight on or use bounce card tilting at a certain angle?

Looking forward to receiving your reply.

Kam Sia

hey, bernard!

wat time are u going to shoot? in gowns, better not shoot in the afternoons. the gowns are going to 'cook' ur frens.... esplande is not exactly a very shady place.

unless u got another pal to help u out, a reflector would be nice. best to use reflector than flash as the light from flash might be too harsh. if not, ur flash with bounce card or things like an orion omnibounce (from EG) or a lumiquest softbox attachment to ur flash will help soften the light.

there's no standard position to stand in relation to ur frens. all depends on wat u are trying to capture. however, if u do need a posing guide, suggest u head down to riceball and pick up one of the latest books they have on a guide to posing for portraiture photography. :thumbsup:

Can I tag along? :) Provided it's in the morning :)

Thanks Nite wolf! btw, where is Riceball?

ESPN, it will be 430pm at Esplanade. My frens will be in gowns.

Bernard Ong said:

its at adelphi. u can search for it under consumer sub-thread. zhong ling is a :thumbsup: guy.

Bernard Ong said:

You might want to do it in the morning whereby the sunlight is less harsher and the area is less populated. :)

At least your friends won't get fried wearing the gowns at 8-10+ instead of 4.30-6+ Hehehe.

sometimes there are nice spots at the uni itself, depends on which uni u are talking about though. :)

espn said:
You might want to do it in the morning whereby the sunlight is less harsher and the area is less populated. :)

At least your friends won't get fried wearing the gowns at 8-10+ instead of 4.30-6+ Hehehe.

Hmmm, yah hor. You made a good point.

Wow nw75 offering help, must take!

I liase with them first. See whether they can make it on Sat morning

Status
Not open for further replies.