Taking off the rose tinted goggles (just for a really short while)... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnaxe

Oct 5, 2006
There have already been several lists of why the K7 is worth getting. Here's why the K7 is potentially going to be irritating, and while I'm probably going to be getting it, these are the first things I'll be changing (hopefully!) through custom functions:

1. To activate four way controller, OK must be pressed every time.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=31915367

Please! Make the OK button modal! I <3 AF point selection.

2. There is no AF or aperture control during movie capture. This is due to degraded quality of the video when you make changes during capture. We are seeing if this can be changed, maybe through a custom function, but as of right now, no.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/61573-k-7-feature-questions.html

Note this is contradicted by: "Also, you can select Auto or manual for the aperture. In manual you can change the depth of field by turning the aperture dial during the movie capture, but this does not effect the exposure unless you have pressed the AE-Lock button."

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=31915511

Lets hope this is a translation error. Not that I really care very much, but...

3. You press the button for the function (ie. White Balance) then use the four way controller like you normally would. Once you make your selection, press the OK button.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=31915410

Zomg. Make it like all previous Pentax cameras, no need to press OK to confirm!

Good points:
DNG now compresses.
Existing wired/wireless remotes supported
focussing screens now brighter (probably good?)

Random info:
HDR function has no auto alignment, tripod (or stillness) needed.
3-4 seconds to save a shot with CA/distortion correction on
O-ME53 works, but will need to pan around viewfinder.
No selection between SDM/screw-drive
Old focussing screens will not work
no GPS support

for #1, that might be really irritating

for #3, oops, i didn't know you didn't have to press ok... :bsmilie:

:D

The only thing which could possibly be a regression is that AF selection thing. Please please custom function!

I should say that I want AF more than aperture control, but aperture control means you can speed up af!

Also, yeah, um. It's actually quite intuitive to press ok, but faster once you realise you don't have to. I actually don't think this is going to change, just that JCPentax might be used to hitting ok...

#1 Because the four way buttons are already dedicated for four functions, so you don't need to press Fn button as on the K20D. If you wanna select AF point, you have to switch the four way button to that purpose. On K20D, it's the other way around: press Fn button to enable the four way button for those functions/settings, while press the four way button directly to change AF point. Personally I like the new design better.
#2 Currently it's only beta version firmware. AF and aperture can't be changed during capturing, but AF is automatic, it's like AF.C. I'm sure the aperture control will be added in in the final product.
#3 It's just personal preference, and I like the idea that the okay button needs to be pressed to confirm the changes. This can be set as an option in menu I think (to double confirm by pressing the ok button, or just as the way they are on K20D). Not really a big deal once you get used to it?

Last edited:
You're saying that "source" is wrong?

*shrug* I hope you're right. :)

You're saying that "source" is wrong?

*shrug* I hope you're right. :)

Sorry I didn't read the original thread, only your post :embrass:

After reading the original threads, and I guess my answers were all wrong. I'll edit it :)

Last edited:
Well, except for the second one (which is the most unimportant but most technically challenging) I can easily imagine that minor firmware updates to allow for changed behaviour...

RBellavance has been pointed out to me (on pentaxforums) that the Ok button might be modal, going by the dpreview preview. Sweet.

from: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pentaxk7/page7.asp
The trade-off is that you now have to press the OK button before you can start moving the AF point when in Select mode. However, once you've pressed OK to switch to AF point selection mode, that choice is retained until you switch back, even if you turn the camera off.

Edit: Apparently the newest firmware makes it such that the "ok button" choice is not retained if you switch the camera on/off as dpreview mentioned, but it is retained though changing aperture and etc, so that's probably good enough - just don't switch off the camera ;) http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/61573-k-7-feature-questions-4.html

Last edited:
the not being retained after switching off bit sounds like it's a firmware problem... so i'd suspect that to be fixed.

#1 Because the four way buttons are already dedicated for four functions, so you don't need to press Fn button as on the K20D. If you wanna select AF point, you have to switch the four way button to that purpose. On K20D, it's the other way around: press Fn button to enable the four way button for those functions/settings, while press the four way button directly to change AF point. Personally I like the new design better.

You don't habitually select AF points? If not, then of course the "new" way is better.

Making the "ok" button modal kinda makes everyone happy though.

#2 Currently it's only beta version firmware. AF and aperture can't be changed during capturing, but AF is automatic, it's like AF.C. I'm sure the aperture control will be added in in the final product.

AF.C in video has been removed from the latest firmware available, according to JCPentax.

#3 It's just personal preference, and I like the idea that the okay button needs to be pressed to confirm the changes. This can be set as an option in menu I think (to double confirm by pressing the ok button, or just as the way they are on K20D). Not really a big deal once you get used to it?

Yeah not a big deal. Requires a change for no discernable reason though.

the not being retained after switching off bit sounds like it's a firmware problem... so i'd suspect that to be fixed.

Hope so!

Status
Not open for further replies.