Taking nite shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepyboiwang

Nov 8, 2009
Hey guys, just want some tips regarding nite shots. was in town just now and shooting randomly, and i realize the main prob is 1)hand shake but also 2)the rite exposure.

cheers

You may wish to catch up with the sticky threads in the night photography forum :)

You will need a tripod for night shoot as the shutter speed might be too slow for handheld. Otherwise, you may want to increase the ISO.

What you need to cure your problems is a fast lens with max aperture of 1.4 to 1.8 to 2.8 and with built in Vibration mitigation such as VR, VC, IS, etc or the other cheapest way is USE A TRIPOD:bsmilie:

What you need to cure your problems is a fast lens with max aperture of 1.4 to 1.8 to 2.8 and with built in Vibration mitigation such as VR, VC, IS, etc or the other cheapest way is USE A TRIPOD:bsmilie:

Haha! Will be cheapest meh? Some tripods cost more than lens wor... ;)

And sometimes, even the fastest lens won't get you the picture you want, because you're not using the optimal technique. So yes, night shots = tripod required.

if you are lazy to use a tripod like ME, den switch to manual mode, no need flash, set ss to say, 1/20, open up ur aperture wide and boost ur ISO say 800 or 1200. works wonderfully! (if u dnt mind the noise that is...hehehe);)

if you are lazy to use a tripod like ME, den switch to manual mode, no need flash, set ss to say, 1/20, open up ur aperture wide and boost ur ISO say 800 or 1200. works wonderfully! (if u dnt mind the noise that is...hehehe);)

there's always noise ninja :angel:

haha cheers for all the replies guys. my friend did recommend me slow shutter speed and more exposure, but somewhat with handheld, the shakes are pretty bad. and using the flash just overexpose everything...sian

haha cheers for all the replies guys. my friend did recommend me slow shutter speed and more exposure, but somewhat with handheld, the shakes are pretty bad. and using the flash just overexpose everything...sian

then use faster shutter w/ flash lor :)

You can always find support for ur hand and use slow shutter speed. turn on VR or IS on lens.
I have tried this method before n can get some decent nite shots. Of course it can't beat using a tripod.

Another cheap method would be to place your camera on something stable for the shot. This will allow you to have slow shutter speed and stable camera. :bsmilie:

Haha. Nightshots are really challenging.

You need a tripod stand to keep it stable. The best mode to use would be Manual. The aperture should be set to allow as much light to enter as possible which means to select the smallest F number. Shutter speed should normally be 1 Second, however you will need some experiment as 1 Second may not give you the ideal picture you wanted it to be. If the picture is too bright, set it to about half a second or faster. If the picture is too dark, set it to about 2 Seconds. Then again, no matter how stable your camera is, when you press it with your finger it will cause camera shake again so the best way is to use self-timer. Talking about camera shake, cameras with Anti-shake or when you're using a lens with Optical Stabilizer may still capture blurry images! They might help in normal situations, but not night situation, so turn them off.

The above statement can be found at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scTkyKARqEA&NR=1&feature=fvwp

All the best! ;)

Haha. Nightshots are really challenging.

You need a tripod stand to keep it stable. The best mode to use would be Manual. The aperture should be set to allow as much light to enter as possible which means to select the smallest F number. Shutter speed should normally be 1 Second, however you will need some experiment as 1 Second may not give you the ideal picture you wanted it to be. If the picture is too bright, set it to about half a second or faster. If the picture is too dark, set it to about 2 Seconds. Then again, no matter how stable your camera is, when you press it with your finger it will cause camera shake again so the best way is to use self-timer. Talking about camera shake, cameras with Anti-shake or when you're using a lens with Optical Stabilizer may still capture blurry images! They might help in normal situations, but not night situation, so turn them off.

The above statement can be found at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scTkyKARqEA&NR=1&feature=fvwp

All the best! ;)

This method is good for a start. Once you get better, you want to play with aperture size to control shutter speed to achieve effects you want to get (like moving clouds, or star trails, or still water). Usually to do this you will need to use a remote and bulb mode.

Most of us long exposure junkies usually stay in F8-F16 range. Unless in special circumstances. Any aperture smaller than F16, we will usually get small aperture diffraction.

And remember to turn off your Long Exposure NR, if not it will process it as long as it takes the shot. 45 second exposure will take an additional 45s to do LE NR. Imagine that happening if you have a 5min or 10min Long Exposure.

Last edited:
Handheld night shots are possible with high ISO (ISO 1600) and steady hands.

I shot this pic (below) handheld, ISO 1600, 1/15sec.
Untitled-11.jpg

thanks for all the tips guys. here is my flickr link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleepyboiwang/ pls feel free to critique!

A number of ur shots are not sharp even at the smaller viewing sizes, and are marred by handshake. The shutter speed is too low for ur handholding ( u have some that are > 1 second :sweat: ) to shoot hand held under that kind of circumstance u really need to bump the iso way higher, or stabilise ur camera setup on some firm support like table / benches etc if possible

my advice to take clean ( noise kept to minimum ) and tact sharp keepers for low light landscape / buildings is, as others mentioned, to get a sturdy tripod.

ryan

Hey guys, just want some tips regarding nite shots. was in town just now and shooting randomly, and i realize the main prob is 1)hand shake but also 2)the rite exposure.

cheers
the main solution is

1) tripod , or flash depending on situation

2) learning how to read your camera's habits

Handheld night shots are possible with high ISO (ISO 1600) and steady hands.

I shot this pic (below) handheld, ISO 1600, 1/15sec.
Untitled-11.jpg

that dpeends on focal length. if you can do it with a 300mm, please post the result.

and that image is underexposed for me.

Most of us long exposure junkies usually stay in F8-F16 range. Unless in special circumstances. Any aperture smaller than F16, we will usually get small aperture diffraction.

And remember to turn off your Long Exposure NR, if not it will process it as long as it takes the shot. 45 second exposure will take an additional 45s to do LE NR. Imagine that happening if you have a 5min or 10min Long Exposure.

1) in general, f/22 is fine for me actually. but yes, visible degradation does happen from f/16.. that is when the tradeoff between sharpness and loss of dof happens.

2) my camera cannot turn off. sob sob.

Status
Not open for further replies.