Taking Micros

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweeper

Mar 25, 2005
Hi,

Can someone advise me the following,

If I am using a AF 105 mm f/2.8D Micro (Macro) len and I need more magnification, working distance, etc
should I use

1. extension tube
2. close up filter
3. teleconverter

Or when to use each of the above with the len mentioned ?

Thanks in advance !

I'm using a teleplus 2x teleconverter with my 105mm micro-nikkor. Good thing about this is that it doesn't shorten the working distance, but your f-stops will suffer.

for increased working distance use a teleconverter
but you will suffer from loss of light (f-stop)

sweeper said:
Hi,

Can someone advise me the following,

If I am using a AF 105 mm f/2.8D Micro (Macro) len and I need more magnification, working distance, etc
should I use

1. extension tube
2. close up filter
3. teleconverter

Or when to use each of the above with the len mentioned ?

Thanks in advance !

magnification? i thot the 105 micro lens already gives 1:1 life-size magnification?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=66&sort=7&cat=12&page=2

to increase working distance, suggest the use of extension tube.

ortega said:
from my limited knowldge, the extension tube only increases magnification and not working distance.

dats a teleconverter, rite? i'm referring to those tubes without any glass in-between.

nightwolf75 said:
dats a teleconverter, rite? i'm referring to those tubes without any glass in-between.

eh .. I thought extension tube , theoretically , shorten the working distance . TC will double the working distance if shooting on 1:1 magnification

geez.. tell me, is there any other way to increase distance than using a TC??? :devil:

E-Lim said:
geez.. tell me, is there any other way to increase distance than using a TC??? :devil:

to the best of my knowledge... no. Using a TC is the only way to get increased working distance; and that is only because the TC magnifies the image, so you can get a 1:1 image without shooting at the original working distance needed.

As stated by the rest, closeup filters and extension tubes shortens the working distance to gain higher magnificication.

There is no limit to what you can use in macro photography, and you can mix and match all of the techniques mentioned above, including a few more, such as using a bellows or reversing a lens. I normally use an teleconvertor + extension tube + long lens together for dragonfly pictures. For still life where working distance is not much of a problem, more things can be added for increased magnification.

justarius said:
to the best of my knowledge... no. Using a TC is the only way to get increased working distance; and that is only because the TC magnifies the image, so you can get a 1:1 image without shooting at the original working distance needed.

As stated by the rest, closeup filters and extension tubes shortens the working distance to gain higher magnificication.

There is no limit to what you can use in macro photography, and you can mix and match all of the techniques mentioned above, including a few more, such as using a bellows or reversing a lens. I normally use an teleconvertor + extension tube + long lens together for dragonfly pictures. For still life where working distance is not much of a problem, more things can be added for increased magnification.

there's an other way ........ get a 180 or 200 macro lol :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.