Taking large group of people photo

86proshooter

Jun 4, 2012
Jurong West
Hi everyone,

I seek some advice in regards to taking large group of people photo.
Recently I did a large group to commemorate Singapore 50, total number of
people is about more than 100 people.
I feel that photographing such large group is really a challenge not only to me but my camera as well.
I have already send my photo to be printed in 12R so hopefully it can turn out nice but I doubt so.
Anyone had experience shooting with such large group can share any advice?

What was the challenge you faced?

Hi i shoot big people groups a lot what was the challenge you faced because you did not say if it is technical or if you are missing your communication skills

If can bring a loud hailer and an assistant on actual day.

Source for the location beforehand and take test shots with some people in it.

Use the widest lens u can find, but careful of lens distortion at the sides.

Use highest megapix settings, shoot in raw+jpeg, use the strongest flash unit if indoor and play around with different iso to get desired lighting effects, use colour gel if shooting in tungsten lighting, use lowest iso if outdoor see if need fill-in flash, do not let subject face the sun directly nor let the sun appear directly behind them, set aperture to f8 or slightly higher, don't go beyond f16.

Last edited:
What was the challenge you faced?

Hi i shoot big people groups a lot what was the challenge you faced because you did not say if it is technical or if you are missing your communication skills

Don't feel that people in my shots are that clear for a group of 20 people.

Don't feel that people in my shots are that clear for a group of 20 people.

Then you need to learn about aperture because that is affecting your DOF so if they are not clear then better improve your skills

It not easy to get everyone sharp in group shot, even harder if you want everyone in large group to be equally sharp. If stop down the aperture (higher F-value), will need lower shutter speed to get exposure right. But by using lower shutter speed, they will be motion blur as it not really possible got everyone to stay freeze, some people even start to move immediately after hearing ur "3" (after counting 1, 2 , 3) or after u press down that shutter.
Have to increase iso especially if the place don't have good lighting.

Most of time in group shot, I will focus on the main subject, if any. (eg, couple for wedding, birthday boy/girl for party etc).

In group shot, will also take few shots. As most of time they will someone close their eyes, look away, move their head (resulting in motion blur) etc.

Maybe take a pano shot then go back home and stitch during post process? I saw a photog doing that during a staff shoot of about 100 ppl.

May I ask, what equipment is TS using - Camera + Lens.

Some of the lens, at widest end are not very sharp and many had distortion. Forget about using flash, unless you have a couple that could light up your subjects evenly, especially for large group of people.

Taking Pano shot is good, but that would also depend on how still your subject can keep and how you are going to convey your wishes to them... many people would start to move when you finish clicking one time.

In any cases a tripod is most probably be needed.

Actually flash is okay with spreaders like Lumiquest QuikBounce. I once took a 400 people group shot with it and it was evenly lighted.

Actually flash is okay with spreaders like Lumiquest QuikBounce. I once took a 400 people group shot with it and it was evenly lighted.

That must be one very powerful flash...

Really? Never knew can do that. What flash are you using?

The Canon 580.

I had the benefit of being indoor :p

I can't. The NAS which holds my event photos went down, along with the HDD :/

Now got PDPA how to share

If the room is well lit, probably the flash is no longer an absolute factor?