taking landscape photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you eng keow, i will read up the link..

so there is a hyperfocal distance for every lense..so in order to achieve the greatest DOF..focus on infinity is not correct?

LENS said:
thank you.

By the way, there is always a 'landscape' mode in some compact comera.

for my mju II, the lense is said f/3.5, it wont change even i switch it to other mode right? it is a fixed aperture for this mju II compact camera, right?
I believe there should be some kind of automatic diaphram for the aperture inside the lens. Sometimes it may come in the form of 2 fixed aperture, the largest plus another smaller one at maybe f/8. I'm not familiar with Olympus. :)

LENS said:
dig up my old thread..need help ha

i read about the hyperfocal focal distance..but still quite confusing.

Let's say i use a 50mm lense, i use aperature 16 or 22 so i would have greater DOF.. what distance i should focus on? mm.. is it infinity on the focus ring??

thank you.
No, you don't have to focus to infinity. You will just need to focus to the hyperfocal distance for the aperture you're using.

lsisaxon,

I have read up the link and trying to understand much as i can ha.

Ya it seems like focusing on the hyperfocal distance then half distance from that plane to infinity will be sharp... so what if i focus to infinity? which i have always used it before for landscape? .. i do find that my landscape pic..kind of soft..issit the reason?

got to try it out. Thank u for your reply.

LENS said:
lsisaxon,

I have read up the link and trying to understand much as i can ha.

Ya it seems like focusing on the hyperfocal distance then half distance from that plane to infinity will be sharp... so what if i focus to infinity? which i have always used it before for landscape? .. i do find that my landscape pic..kind of soft..issit the reason?

got to try it out. Thank u for your reply.
Nothing wrong when you focus to infinity, just that you won't get as much foreground to be sharp. The hyperfocal distance is just for you to maximize the depth of field. :) If it comes out soft, then your lens may inherently be not as sharp or it dirty with fingerprints etc.

LENS said:
thank you eng keow, i will read up the link..

so there is a hyperfocal distance for every lense..so in order to achieve the greatest DOF..focus on infinity is not correct?

I think hyperfocal distance is usually applied to wide angle lenses. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.