taking landscape photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LENS

Apr 8, 2005
Hello guys,

I have a question.. issit usually we take landscape with as big f-stop as we can? like f16,f22?

by using this bigger f-stop, we can achieve deep depth of field right? so the photo could be enlarged and most scene in the picture will be sharp?

In short, yes.

A large f stop (small hole, big number like f 22) gives you more depth of field... DOF is controlled by the camera's aperture in conjunction with the focal length of the lens.

because i didn't really use a big f-stop as often as i can, when i took landscape..since i handheld most of the time, i only make sure the exposure is correct.

So in order to achieve a good landscape photo, i should adapt to big f-stop? and compensate with slower shutter that a tripod is usually need?

Thank you.

You can learn to 'hand-hold' your camera but of course, nothing beats a tripod for super sharp pics.

hi, small stopping down does not still warrant sharp results. it just ensures that ya have a deeper dof, still that won't mean everything is in focus even if ya focused to infinity.
check e DOF preview if ya cam has it.
or the dof indicator if ya lens has one
it won't hurt to do a little reading on hyperfocal as well.
if ya're trying landscape.

any landscape expert like to share view of how he/she takes landscape photo?

As Tucker had already suggested, hyperfocusing combined with small aperture + tripod will usually give great result. Some factors to remember are :

1) Good steady/heavy tripod : You may not see/feel vibrations/wind but they certainly affect your tripod.

2) Many lenses are actually not too good at the extremes of aperture settings. I learnt the hard way that picking an aperture 1-2 stops larger than the smallest setting will often give the best results with most lenses.

Other than these technical aspects, most important are still an eye for the right picture. Technology and money can quite easily solve issues with focus, exposure etc, but cannot buy you a good picture. I am still learning how to do so, and may never get there :) Good luck.

on normal days i can shoot f/8 handheld since i can get at least 1/500th and im using wide lenses like 12-24. i dont think tripods make a notable difference when ur shooting >1/200 with wide lenses

+evenstar said:
Sweet spot of most lenses are usually in the f8-11 region. Sometimes shooting smaller than these aperture values will render less sharp images though DOF is deep
hmm...make tt f5.6-f/11 instead

LENS said:
by using this bigger f-stop, we can achieve deep depth of field right? so the photo could be enlarged and most scene in the picture will be sharp?

Totally not true.
Read up on Aperture Diffraction.

depends how you define landscapes..if you have buildings in the picture, it;s better to use a tilt shift lens (more in architecture)...for a SLR or DSLR it would be best to set it up on a tripod @ f/22, spot meter various parts of the area and expose the film or CMOS sensor to the given time..i wouldn't recommend opening the shutter for too long on DSLRs coz u might fry your CMOS sensor..also depends on what film speed you are using..the lower the more detail you get..i recommend fuji velvia 50 or 100 film....ultimately...a view camera is the best camera to take landscapes..you can go up to f/64 but that means also longer exposures..

another way is to use the hyperfocal distance of WA lens to shoot with infinite DOF.....

LENS said:
Hello guys,

I have a question.. issit usually we take landscape with as big f-stop as we can? like f16,f22?

Just a rough guide, usually, by using a wideangle lens (which I think you will anyway for shooting landscapes), everything will be sharp from 1 ~ 2 meters away to infinity when you set aperture to f/8 and focus around 3m as what user12343 mentioned about hyperfocal distance. Older lenses have the depth of field markings where you can use it to guide you where you can focus to give you the depth of field.

up for my own thread.

Someone mention hyperfocal distance, i don't really understand it.

By the way, is Depth of Field means area that will be in focus?

By using f/2.8, there is certain 'depth will be in sharp when we focus let's say 3m?
By using f/22, focusing at 3m again, but more items on the scene will get sharper image?am i correct to say it this way?

I am using a manual camera, i took some photo on some landscape like mountains valley and tea farm, i usually use bigger aperture setting (f/2.8,f/4) since handhold, but i think for best results, shall i use smaller aperture(f/16,22) or even f/5.6 as much as possible?

For what i think, let's say a team farm, i would prefer everything in scene as clear and sharp as possible.. may you share your opinion?

LENS said:
up for my own thread.

Someone mention hyperfocal distance, i don't really understand it.

By the way, is Depth of Field means area that will be in focus?

By using f/2.8, there is certain 'depth will be in sharp when we focus let's say 3m?
By using f/22, focusing at 3m again, but more items on the scene will get sharper image?am i correct to say it this way?

I am using a manual camera, i took some photo on some landscape like mountains valley and tea farm, i usually use bigger aperture setting (f/2.8,f/4) since handhold, but i think for best results, shall i use smaller aperture(f/16,22) or even f/5.6 as much as possible?

For what i think, let's say a team farm, i would prefer everything in scene as clear and sharp as possible.. may you share your opinion?
This sample page from "HWM Megaguide: Digital Photography" happens to talk about Depth of field and hyperfocal distance.
http://www.hardwaremag.com/megaguide/sample/Megaguide_section2.6-7.pdf (It's about 7.4Mb)

You can find more sample pages from this link.
http://www.hardwaremag.com/megaguide/sample/

thank you.

By the way, there is always a 'landscape' mode in some compact comera.

for my mju II, the lense is said f/3.5, it wont change even i switch it to other mode right? it is a fixed aperture for this mju II compact camera, right?

sounds complicated.... any pics to show the diff .. ???

dig up my old thread..need help ha

i read about the hyperfocal focal distance..but still quite confusing.

Let's say i use a 50mm lense, i use aperature 16 or 22 so i would have greater DOF.. what distance i should focus on? mm.. is it infinity on the focus ring??

thank you.

Here are some links to hyperfocal distance focusing.

1. http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

2. http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/marine/569/rusrngfdrs/focusing.html

To be able to get help from hyperfocal distance, you would need a chart about the lens you are using. some lenses are already equipped with markings on the lens that will indicate the hyperfocal distance. I think all the leicas systems have this advantage.

Hope that this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.