Taking indoor group photo professionally

babykoh

Jun 27, 2007
Hi Bros and sisters,

Can give me some advice to take a good prefessional group photo of around 30pax. Cos I try using the flash light but the outcome either dark or too much shadow. Need to take company anniversay function. I'm using D3s.

[video=youtube;L0pBaPRRg_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0pBaPRRg_o&feature=related[/video]

Hi, thanks alot for the info. Is there any tips if not using studio light. Cos i try bounce but first shot got flash, second shot dun have flash. So i need to use direct flash

Hi, thanks alot for the info. Is there any tips if not using studio light. Cos i try bounce but first shot got flash, second shot dun have flash. So i need to use direct flash

Because the flash did not recharge fast enough. Either wait for recycle or get a battery pack for text.

Put f/8, 1/60 ISO around 800, your flash would probably be firing at full power, if it is dark, increase your ISO till exposure is good.

Last edited:
whats the layout like? any windows ? what lights are there ? how high is the ceiling ?

30 pax in how many rows ?

and which focal length are you using?

otherwise, advise might not be applicable for your situation

Since you're using the D3s, you can afford to let the ambient light do all the heavy lifting and use your flash to finesse to taste.

Since you're using the D3s, you can afford to let the ambient light do all the heavy lifting and use your flash to finesse to taste.

I agree. Let the ambient be the main light, flash as fill.
You do not need f8 since (i'm assuming) you're gonna use a wide angle lens. Probably f4/f4.5/f5 will get you the DOF you need.
I'm also assuming you do not need to print this in mega size (like 50" by 50")

Try starting off with some "magic" values like f4, 1/50, ISO1600 and adjust from there.
Another thing to note is to keep your crowd comfortable and happy. They won't like a commanding photographer, so do it lightheartedly with jokes inbetween.
Also note that people will try to "hide" behind others, make sure everyone can be seen!

Probably the most epic group photo ever taken.

[video=youtube;LW-X__R2QNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW-X__R2QNY[/video]

Maybe this will shed some light.

J-Chan said:

Another pro told me the same thing: using a D3s, he would bump ISO to 6400 (the shots will still be clean), then just set flash to iTTLand fire away with flash point directly at subject. At most add a diffuser. The power of the flash will be low and would not create the harsh shadows.

Another pro told me the same thing: using a D3s, he would bump ISO to 6400 (the shots will still be clean), then just set flash to iTTLand fire away with flash point directly at subject. At most add a diffuser. The power of the flash will be low and would not create the harsh shadows.

Hi All, can check with if set the iso to 800 will it cause some grainy noise? cos i thought the lower ISo will have better picture?

U are using a D3s there should be minimum problem with noise. D3s is the best for low light so it handles high iso very well.

I just shot an indoor grp photo with 200 pax. I just whack ISO and fire the flash through lumiquest quik bounce lol. Turn out quite okay.

So setting to ISO 800 is ok?

So setting to ISO 800 is ok?

The way I shoot, first thing I'll look at the ambience light and ceiling height, types of colour, black? eg. I'll fixed the shutter speed. For aperture, I adjust depends on how many pp am I shooting. I meter the ambiance lighting by changing iso. I adjust flash manually to compensate and fill light the subjects and know how to adjust the diffusers according to that condition & iso settings. Do a test shot, tweet the iso and flash again, ready to go.

Need to be fast else your subject will be bored.

With D3s, you can easily set your iso 6400, 12800. no problem at all.

[facepalm]

have you shot anything above ISO 3200 with your D3s yet?

Oh man, I wish i started out as a GW(E)C like him. But I don't think I would have learnt as much about bringing the best out of my shitty gear.

Hi Bros and sisters,

Can give me some advice to take a good prefessional group photo of around 30pax. Cos I try using the flash light but the outcome either dark or too much shadow. Need to take company anniversay function. I'm using D3s.

You need to understand what your camera and flash can do first as well as expectations of the group. Even if in a disco or bar, what you can do is request lights to be turned on. Use primarily the D3s iso capability for the exposure and the flash to add in more "pop" to the picture. There is no rule that says group photos must die die be certain settings. Experiment and modify according to situation at hand. Importantly, learn to read the histogram and take Raw + Jpeg. It will make life a whole lot easier for such shots when it comes to pp.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Thanks alot for the precious advice and guidance.