Taking fotos while wearing Transition Spec

drsubaru

Apr 11, 2004
Hi Hi

Silly questions, but something I am trying to figure how best to overcome

For those wearing specs, do you take a pic thru the viewfinder with specs on or specs off and use diopter adjustment? More applicable when you use Manual mode

But I have added problem, I recently got myself a specs with transition lens, so under the sun/UV my lens darkens, I dunno what is the best way to compensate or adjust

Any suggestions folks?

Thanx in advanced!

I remove my glass before I look into the LCD screen, else it will play a trick on your eyes.

I assumed that you are an experienced photographer.
Speaking from my personal experience, I have no problem with it even under the afternoon sun. Probably, mine don't darken as much due to high index. I will check the histogram, use a or s mode and bracket my shots. Mentally, take note of the exposure after doing some test shots. Keep adjusting if the light conditions changes. Taking off specs is quite troublesome for me.

Or.... do lasik loh. ;)

Thanx all brudders

I am still an amateur really and would really like to iron out all these issues before I plunge head into this poisonous hobby

I scratched a number of glasses before even with viewfinder eyecup.

Now i don't put my glasses on since the correction required by me is minimal.
Instead i adjusted the eyepiece diopter and installed rubber eye-cup to all my cameras.

The only time i have problem is on a hot bright day when i put on my polarised oakley sunglasses as it tends to darken the lcd inside the viewfinder on occasions but i don't find it serious that i have to take it off and on.

Other than that, the whole image in the viewfinder is just dimmer. As long as my camera meters correctly, i happy with it.

Checking the metering. That's the main source to check the exposure.

That's a very interesting question and one of the reasons why I'm not wearing transition lenses. I think it'll affect my photography. I shoot in Av mode and I use a lot of exposure compensation. So by looking though the viewfinder I estimate the compensation (unless I'm too lazy). So my rationale is with transition lenses, this will affect me when moving across areas with different brightness. I have never worn transitions so have no way to confirm this though.

I will still wear specs while looking through the viewfinder, otherwise I can't see. everything will be in blur.

I've tried wearing shades and contact lenses but realize that I need to lift up my shades to quality check the photos taken each time, so can't look cool wearing shades while taking photos.

interesting topic. In fact i personally experience this when i got my transition glasses too...

transitions work like sunglasses, in other words it act like ND filter on your eyes. however this "ND" is between your eyes and the viewfinder(or lcd), so it will darkens what every you see. so you will actually realise that "wow, the clouds look so nice" but when u look at your photos it look totally flat. But, there are people who uses it often and they adapt to it so they can gauge it better... like others mention, check the metering.
for me, i uses another clear glasses when i am going outdoor for shoot :)

contact lenses can be another option too... otherwise check your photos when u go indoors lor.

"For those wearing specs, do you take a pic thru the viewfinder with specs on or specs off and use diopter adjustment? More applicable when you use Manual mode"
for me i leave my glasses on. diopter can go from +1D to -3D, so if your degree is not too high and u are comfortable then go ahead :D

Generally, it should not pose much of a problem in SG, as it doesn't darken very much. But, if you are in other countries (e.g. Australia, USA, Japan, etc.), it could get VERY, VERY dark. And, you will tend to think that your pictures are all under exposed. If you don't want to keep taking off your glasses to check the LCD for exposure, learn to trust the histogram. It is pretty accurate. Try it a few times... and verify it on your computer :).

I would normally remove my shades and back face the sun to see the exposure just to be doubly sure. Golden moments don't come by twice! :)

Stop chimping!:bsmilie:

I got used to my lens and body. Each lens i know if I need to over or under expose to get a proper exposure base on the meter and graphy/blinky thing.

of course I do chimp once a while to make sure. when I need to just lift my specs a little.
I shoot in RAW so the most impt for me is to get the exposure right. colours etc gets batch corrected/enhanced later.

if you go lasik/contacts and on sunny day you still wear a sunglasses, then not much diff.
Also sunglasses are essentially polarisers. Not sure you have experienced this. when you turn your camera vertical, you usually cant see the image due to the polariser and screen interference.

I take my glasses off and use the diopter adjustment to compensate for it.