Taking care of your gear in very cold weather

sweeper

Mar 25, 2005
Hi,

Would like to seek advise for taking care of camera body and lenses in cold weather
e.g.

- day temperature is around 10 C
How to prevent condensation when entering room temperature from outside ,

- night can go down to sub-zero, e.g. room may be without heater

Hi,

Would like to seek advise for taking care of camera body and lenses in cold weather
e.g.

place gears inside ziplock bags, suck out air from ziplock bags using blowers, zipped it and wrapped with thick cloths when u moved from one place to another place of different temperatures.

Last edited:
We have an entire sticky that details this. Also, a search for "cold weather" will give you the info you need. Really, this comes up about 20 times every year around the winter season.

place gears inside ziplock bags, suck out air from ziplock bags using blowers, zipped it and wrapped with thick cloths when u moved from one place to another place of different temperatures.
Just don't tell your camera about the outside temperature and it will work fine. Thick clothes..? Maybe for me and my toes. My camera did well without it during all trips to subzero conditions.

Hi,

e.g.

wah, sub zero without heater in the room?? I will be more worried about myself than the camera..

Hi,

e.g.

Your camera should be fine, temperature itself is not an issue, but condensation and if it gets wet, that can cause ice to form overnight and damage parts inside.

If the place is dry, then it should be fine.

I took my SLR and pocket camera to -22C before. No issues. I got Thinsulate windstopper gloves so I could continue with photography.

Good luck, I will be in -10C conditions next month.