Taking candids

Status
Not open for further replies.
when u ask someone ' can i take ur picture', is it still considered CANDID?:dunno:

i love candid shots because they are their best natural form.clueless, naive, smiling away, sad, dreaming and blah....

usually when i see nice subjects for portraiture,asking them to pose will end up in rather crappy expressions.

bear in mind not everyone has models' ability to look into your lens without a tinge of shyness.:sweatsm: :lovegrin:

I got ask before, but all I got was "take for what?" and then they give you the dirty eye.

Don't you think that asking you why you wish to take his/her picture is very appropriate and reasonable?

Surely you must have a reason to take his/her picture, right? So why not just tell him/her why you wish to take the picture?

when u ask someone ' can i take ur picture', is it still considered CANDID?:dunno:

i love candid shots because they are their best natural form.clueless, naive, smiling away, sad, dreaming and blah....

usually when i see nice subjects for portraiture,asking them to pose will end up in rather crappy expressions.

bear in mind not everyone has models' ability to look into your lens without a tinge of shyness.:sweatsm: :lovegrin:

Who says that you have to ask the "subject" to pose when you ask them permission?

Manda gave a very insightful "philosophy" into such photography. The "trick" is not to "prey" on your subjects as if they were meant only for your photos. The "trick" is to be "part of them", to be involved with them, so that after a while, your presence is not longer intrusive.

The picture of the mother and child was taken that way. I was with them for a while, talking, interacting, and laughing with them, until such a time when they were "not aware" that I was going to take their photograph. The mother was not laughing for me. She was laughing with me.

This takes time. It is not a mere hit and run affair.

hAHAH..

reminded me last time I snapped a pic of this man peeing into a corner at Chinatown. Too bad he ran slower than I walked...

The "trick" is to be "part of them", to be involved with them, so that after a while, your presence is not longer intrusive.

yep, agree. nat geo photogs use this method to get their shots. sometimes living with their subjects for months before getting the right shot.

yep, agree. nat geo photogs use this method to get their shots. sometimes living with their subjects for months before getting the right shot.

Eh... we're talking about candid shots here... mostly on the streets..

how much time do you have to talk to everyone and wait for a suitable response?? :dunno:

Eh... we're talking about candid shots here... mostly on the streets..

how much time do you have to talk to everyone and wait for a suitable response?? :dunno:

As much time as is necessary.

One good photo in a day is plentiful already!

for friendly street shooting in spore, go to little india
they just love it, don't even need to ask,

just look at them with a big smile
bring camera to your eye
and shoot

they will even pose for you

Status
Not open for further replies.