Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber_Duck

May 26, 2004
nippon
www.flickr.com
Title : Taking a drinking Break.
I using my 50mm F1/4 to shot this pix.

This was taken during the summer festival, and this event is for kids to take part to carried the heavy God house...
So while taking a short break I saw this kid drinking his drink and I felt he was thinking abt other stuffs...
or may be he is thinking of quiting or just too tired and standing there wondering...

Pls C&C.....

ek4img0059km0.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, newbie doing a critique and giving my two cents worth.

I thought that the boy's frown was good in illustrating your point. Frown? What frown? Yeah, the face could be more visible to the camera. How? I'm guessing moving the angle as the easy way out.

From what I can see in the picture, the main subject seems to be the unfocus God House in the background as the basic structure of the House was pretty obvious.

Yes I understand it's a japanese festival for carrying God Houses but if the idea was to capture the boy drinking, thinking or simply resting, then maybe it should be done differently?

I would do it this way:
Move the camera more to the right to capture both the God House and the Japanese word on the other kid's costume. Should be able to tell the story better this way. And we can capture the boy's expression better too.

However, all the above is useless if this was a candid shot and the photographer do not have enough time to put composition of his shot to perfection.

But then again, photography is not about what one can or cannot do, but what one can or cannot show. :)

this picture is alright.... a few points to take note tho...
maybe try taking him from a 3/4 angle... more focus on the boy... but its understandable if one can't get from that angle as sometimes luck also plays a part in the pictures...
another would be to watch out for your highlights... the white in his bandanna has been blown... increase the shutter abit... or maybe exposure compensation...
last bit.... you've a 50mm f1/4!! make good use of it! :D you can get very good bokeh if you take the boy up close and get a nicer blurred background.... :D
keep shootin! :thumbsup:

this picture is alright.... a few points to take note tho...
maybe try taking him from a 3/4 angle... more focus on the boy... but its understandable if one can't get from that angle as sometimes luck also plays a part in the pictures...
another would be to watch out for your highlights... the white in his bandanna has been blown... increase the shutter abit... or maybe exposure compensation...
last bit.... you've a 50mm f1/4!! make good use of it! :D you can get very good bokeh if you take the boy up close and get a nicer blurred background.... :D
keep shootin! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice...
Will take note of this..
;)

Last edited:
the boy's expression is not interesting enough to get viewers attention.

composition wise is boring, the boy's head is at the deal center, nor high nor low, and worst, too much room behind the boy head.. it lead viewers' attention out of the photo.

background is cluttered, boy on the right drawing viewers' attention too.

in all, viewers does not see what you want them to see, you need to work on this more.

focusing, exposure are ok, but it does not make this a good photo.

As wat your topic mention "Taking a drinking break...."
Feel that your photo is not showing that with the boy just holding the bottle which is hardly noticable.

I feel that the background is too messy, all fighting for the viewer's attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.