taking a degree in SIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
hi, everybody. need some advice here, feeling quite lost.

i finished my NS and have been working as a technician for about 9 months now. (dip in electronics)
Im thinking of taking up a part-time IT degree course in SIM to upgrade myself, either through University of London or University of Wollongong.

i have spoken with some of my frens. most of them seem to advice me against taking up IT, saying there's no prospect in IT, job markets are being conquered by foreigners. or operations moving out of singapore to china and india. its the situation so bad now? issit really so hard to get a job with an IT degree? the pay will be very low?

im thinking of IT becos i have some interest in IT (im a very technical person), hence it wouldn't be as tough as studying something i dun have interest in. i have absolutely no idea about business, management, finance etc.. so currently, im not planning to take those.

the dateline for SIM application is 15 nov, would appreciate if i can get some advice. feel so lost:sweat: thanks!

Just do it, even if you end up in a different line all together, the degree will help you get a better job.
good luck!

There's a report recently about 14,000 foreigners flocking to Singapore for IT jobs..:sweat:

Just do it, even if you end up in a different line all together, the degree will help you get a better job.
good luck!

yes, i think a degree will help me get a better job. but would a degree in other fields be better?
i dun think im a good speaker, so those PR or have to meet clients kinda job, dun think it suits me....

There's a report recently about 14,000 foreigners flocking to Singapore for IT jobs..:sweat:

haiii, why they come singapore :( i think many employers rather choose foreigners since they probably cost less than 3/4 of our salary and are tons more experienced. :(

yes, i think a degree will help me get a better job. but would a degree in other fields be better?
i dun think im a good speaker, so those PR or have to meet clients kinda job, dun think it suits me....

being a good speaker is key to you getting the job

presentation is everything
you will need to sell yourself to your perspective employer first

being a good speaker is key to you getting the job

presentation is everything
you will need to sell yourself to your perspective employer first

thats so true. must practice how to sell myself. i always cant handle questions thrown by the interviewer at times

Take up a degree in photography?

it has become a 'sunset' career with the onset of digital photography...unless you can get famous, or are very good. Or a very slick talker with lots of contacts who give u opportunities to do big projects. (once u keep doing big and famous projects, no skill, people also think good skill...haha) :bsmilie:

studying photography is almost pointless, since its only teaching basic techniques...u must have "the eye" :sweatsm:

bottom line is : be a good talker, it gets u jobs, not degrees.

it has become a 'sunset' career with the onset of digital photography...unless you can get famous, or are very good. Or a very slick talker with lots of contacts who give u opportunities to do big projects. (once u keep doing big and famous projects, no skill, people also think good skill...haha) :bsmilie:

studying photography is almost pointless, since its only teaching basic techniques...u must have "the eye" :sweatsm:

bottom line is : be a good talker, it gets u jobs, not degrees.

Sunset career. Don't think so leh. Have degree in photgraphy no neccessary become photographer mah. Dun be so narrow.

Can see camera, organise model workshop or even teach.

Even as photographer,earning should be quite good looking at the amount my friends spend on wedding shoots.

my friend with a dip in IT with 3 years working exp is drawing 4K++

i finished my NS and have been working as a technician for about 9 months now. (dip in electronics)
Im thinking of taking up a part-time IT degree course in SIM to upgrade myself, either through University of London or University of Wollongong.

i have spoken with some of my frens. most of them seem to advice me against taking up IT, saying there's no prospect in IT, job markets are being conquered by foreigners. or operations moving out of singapore to china and india. its the situation so bad now? issit really so hard to get a job with an IT degree? the pay will be very low?

im thinking of IT becos i have some interest in IT (im a very technical person), hence it wouldn't be as tough as studying something i dun have interest in. i have absolutely no idea about business, management, finance etc.. so currently, im not planning to take those.

the dateline for SIM application is 15 nov, would appreciate if i can get some advice. feel so lost:sweat: thanks!

why degree in IT?

why not business, banking and finance(very in demand now) etc. go into other fields...you got a lot of time to look thru the other sch also...

I dun want to sound discouraging but IMHO SIM is not a wise choice where u shld get a professional IT cert from. Compare their IT course syllabus with other 2 local uni.

Maybe if you have the time, go flip thru the local recruitment ads and note down what are the IT skills and programming skills needed in the market. Compare which insitute provides a more comprehensive course in those areas. Its unlikely that these programming languages and skills will obsolete by the time u graduate.

IIRC Few years back SIM was widely regarded (unofficially) as the 3rd local uni, but when SMU started, SIM became 4th. During this year NDP rally, our PM mentioned that there will be plans for another 4th uni to be on its way to cater for poly grads. Now, nobody knows where SIM is heading or stands.

For IT degrees, I feel SIM is more catered to working professional (to get better paperqualifications) than students fresh out from JCs or Polys.
Business and finance certs seemed to be more recognized.

Lastly, study hard and aim for 2nd upper or 1st class.
A "good" degree can easily land you a civil service position with a good pay if you cant make it in the coporation world. :)

My 2 cents.. :sweatsm:

if everybody do that.... :bsmilie:

Not everyone will do that lah.. Not everyone will like photography.

Most of my relative think I am crazy to pay so much for those "glass" I have.

For IT degrees, I feel SIM is more catered to working professional (to get better paperqualifications) than students fresh out from JCs or Polys.
Business and finance certs seemed to be more recognized.

Lastly, study hard and aim for 2nd upper or 1st class.
A "good" degree can easily land you a civil service position with a good pay if you cant make it in the coporation world. :)

wah...what u say sound so easy...

Dunno about the rest of the people here... but i think its not about just another degree = earn more money... end of the day, find something u prefer to learn instead...

hello friend, I am an electronics engineer by profession. When I study engineering, people also says the market is already flooded with Engineers from China and India... And they also say that big companies are moving out of Singapore.

There are overseas talent coming to Singapore becos there is job here, there is demand here. This place is going to a high end design and development hub. That is why people come.

Do not be afraid of competition. If you are good, people will hire you. If you are no good, even if there is a shortage of staff, the company will retrench you. If you take up the degree, at least there is a chance, if you idle at present stage, then you will be a technician forever ( for sure )..

My advice to you is : "Go ahead to take up the degree while you are still young". If you can get entry to NUS or NTU, that is even better for you. good luck.

Dear Zak,
I can understand how you feel right now because 2 years ago, I was in the same position as you. Just graduated from poly, had around 6 months of working experience and was offered a perm job from a contract job. I didn't know whether I should accept the offer then study PT, or just go study FT instead.

Btw, I am currently in my final year in SIM. I am studying with the University of Buffalo State University of New York.

To cut the long story short - my diploma was Film Sound and Video with NP. My current degree is Business Administration with Marketing and International Business. Yes, they are two very different courses and I have countless of people asking why did I change my major. Friends in the media industry said I am just stressing myself out since most of them know I suck and hate mathematics, and almost any other subject that requires complex numbers. But hahaha... I survived! If all goes well, I will be graduating next June. :)

I am sure you will encounter people who will tell you to study that you love since you are young. IMHO, that is half correct. Reason being at the end of the day, you still need to eat, drink, survive, pay your bills etc etc. You still need money. That is the brutal truth. And the truth is some industries are making tons of money, and for some unless you are the top best few within the industry (e.g., photography and filmmaking), there's a possibility that these people might be living from paycheck to paycheck.

It took me a year to shift my major because after 3 years in NP, I realized I am not good in directing or cinematography for that matter. I have also come to realize my stamina may not be that good compared to my peers, whom can forgo sleeping up to a week if they are involved in a project. During those 3 yrs in NP, the one major thing I learned was local filmmakers are seriously lacking marketing and promotion for their films. In short, Singapore is seriously lacking film producers who focuses more on the business side of films. Sadly, NP does not offer that during my stay with them. I think if I went on to get a degree in filmmaking, I will probably still be nowhere.

And that's how I went on to study Business Admin - in the hope of one day I can mix what I learned from both my diploma and degree. :)

I don't pay detail attention to the current IT industry so I really can't give comments about the job prospects for IT. But since you are so young, now is the time to try new things and learn new things. Reason being when we are young, we have less committments - that's my 2¢ worth. If you want to take the plunge, now is the time. Who knows 10 years down the road you can mixed what you learned in IT with your degree program. I hate numbers but I have managed to overcome my fear for them.

But just my personal opinion - don't follow fads. Like the current craze about the banking and finance industry. So many graduates are just wanting a share of the pie, it's bound to become saturated and explode.

Don't go into a industry just for the sake of money. But don't find a course that's too niche that its difficult to find jobs.

Good luck! :)

hey, u better dun be too technical. Build a well-rounded education portfolio. As for introduction of foreign talents in IT industry ? it is happening everywhere in Asia now. Get more skills and talents for yourself and fight them for empolyment ! :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.