Taking a buildings/Architecture photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedragon

May 17, 2009
Is there any ways to take a good buildings/Architecture photograph without the PC and other additional lens. Is it a must have lens?

Can I take it with a normal camera, those that are not professional camera? I am new to photography.

:):)

Depends on what you define as 'good'.

Any camera/lens can be used to take architecture photos, but unless you can square the camera directly with the absolute centers of each building, you'll get anything from slight to extreme distortions - usually converging or diverging verticals depending on your shooting perspective. Pincushion or barrel distortions are a different kettle of fish that will also affect your photographs.

Distortions can be compensated for to some extent in post, but IQ goes down.

Hi. Get a Tilt and Shift lens

Is there any ways to take a good buildings/Architecture photograph without the PC and other additional lens. Is it a must have lens?

Can I take it with a normal camera, those that are not professional camera? I am new to photography.

:):)

1) no, you don't need PC lenses to take good building/architectural shots

2) yes, you can, all you need to do is have a good idea of what composition encompasses, have good light, and really, any camera will serve fine, although you might be more limited.

I don't quite understand what is composition of the photograph??

What is composition encompasses??

They said it is good to take photos in the evening and early morning. But the time range I am not sure??

you can square the camera directly with the absolute centers of each building, you'll get anything from slight to extreme distortions - usually converging or diverging verticals depending on your shooting perspective.

I don't quite understand??

I try to take photos before. But all not straight and plain. That mean I can't set my camera to auto.

time to read up,

don't expect anyone to give you basic course on photography via web..

click on the images to discover JUST HOW EASY IT IS WITH GOOGLE!

time to read up,

don't expect anyone to give you basic course on photography via web..

click on the images to discover JUST HOW EASY IT IS WITH GOOGLE!

actually google can be a pain to use..... i prefer yahoo. :cool:

I have read composition before but don't quite understand. I have a lot to learn. Composing a good photograph is not easy. Like Rules of Thirds, Using Diagonals, Cropping, etc.
Most talk about people, nature, sky, etc. Not much on buildings.

I have read composition before but don't quite understand. I have a lot to learn. Composing a good photograph is not easy. Like Rules of Thirds, Using Diagonals, Cropping, etc.
Most talk about people, nature, sky, etc. Not much on buildings.

oh?

time to look at examples, see how they do it, then understand.

search "architectural photography", there are so many good examples out there. to be honest, of course it isn't easy. but it isn't hard. but whether you want to tell yourself that you can do it... mindset is everything when it comes to life as a whole, not just photography.

if you don't want to try, no one is going to help you.

here are some good architectural photography sites:

link1
link2
link3

when you are free, go down to page one @ vivocity, flip through all the architecture books, see if you see anything in common, what to look out for, think when looking, try to emulate, and then internalise it

here is a good photo.net page

last post on the matter, to be honest, i have spoonfed more than i usually do; all this, done with 5 seconds of google. if i can google, you can do it too!

Last edited:
The basic fundamentals of photography can be applied to all genres, you just need to understand them first. Composition is the design of a photography. A combination of intentions, observations, objectives, understanding of the subject, study of light, etc. Once you get this right, you take the photo. Yes; you can take anywhere from 30 mins to a few days just to make a single shot but if that's good, that's all you ever need.

In architectural photography, knowing how to control your perspectives is a necessacity. You need to know how your photos will turn out in relation to the alignment of the camera to the buildings.

You certainly don't have to use expensive equipment to take pictures of buildings. What's more important is how you use whatever you have and make the most out of them.

There are so many areas to cover I can't simply go through every one of those here. I recommend you start searching for examples of works that's been done previously for reference. Architectural/interior magazines are good resources as well.

Last edited:
oh?

time to look at examples, see how they do it, then understand.

search "architectural photography", there are so many good examples out there. to be honest, of course it isn't easy. but it isn't hard. but whether you want to tell yourself that you can do it... mindset is everything when it comes to life as a whole, not just photography.

if you don't want to try, no one is going to help you.

here are some good architectural photography sites:

link1
link2
link3

when you are free, go down to page one @ vivocity, flip through all the architecture books, see if you see anything in common, what to look out for, think when looking, try to emulate, and then internalise it

here is a good photo.net page

last post on the matter, to be honest, i have spoonfed more than i usually do; all this, done with 5 seconds of google. if i can google, you can do it too!

Thank you for helping. I try to photo HDB flats from ground floor. That mean I can use the same methods. When people tell people to read and find information is easy but to learn, understand and figure out is not that easy. As I am a slow learner. I will try my best. :thumbsup:

comp_rules_10.jpg

That means that is lines in the camera that you can make it appear just like in the photos?

its been sometimes since someone start a topic i love on architectural. :lovegrin:

night86mare said:
"when you are free, go down to page one @ vivocity, flip through all the architecture books, see if you see anything in common, what to look out for, think when looking, try to emulate, and then internalise it"
the place i call my 2nd home :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.