Taken with Fuji finepix 602, looks like slides

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
http://photo.poco.cn/lastphoto.php?id=20692

Seems that many Chinese photographers prefer such technique, what do you think?

Recently I have been quite overwhelmed by some Chinese photography websites. They seem much more concentrated on pictures and produce nicer effects.

Read the comments from the poster, it's more than that. They use such technique a lot to turn digital photos into slides looking. Surprisingly nobody seems know this in CS.

btw, such technique generally increase contrast and saturation. Some colors could be highly saturated, like red, yellow, blue etc. Looks unreal but nice. I think moderate use would be a powerful technique for portraiture.

tomshen said:
btw, such technique generally increase contrast and saturation. Some colors could be highly saturated, like red, yellow, blue etc. Looks unreal but nice. I think moderate use would be a powerful technique for portraiture.

I would think so too.... Tom, do you have idea whats the workflow like to get such "effects"?

Kindly advise. :)

none of the pics in the link look like slides, not even Provia 100F let alone the creamy smooth Astia :) i won't even mention the jpeg/sharpening artifacts (look at the transition between the arms/background).

D60 can't compare to S2 Pro for smooth creamy colours. D60 colour range in the skin tones a bit blocky though a proper icc profile might help.

Maybe once when they release EF Mount S3 Pro. :cool:

erwinx said:
none of the pics in the link look like slides, not even Provia 100F let alone the creamy smooth Astia :) i won't even mention the jpeg/sharpening artifacts (look at the transition between the arms/background).

D60 can't compare to S2 Pro for smooth creamy colours. D60 colour range in the skin tones a bit blocky though a proper icc profile might help.

Maybe once when they release EF Mount S3 Pro. :cool:
They call it "slide-processed-as-negative" effect. Of course not really slide looking, but certainly not digital look as well.

Let me digest first, sorry to say I have not fully understood yet. :embrass:

I dun think they look like slides at all. More like crossed processed slides, but still looks quite artificial to me. Too much USM? The pics look very 2D to me. Actually I think the pics would look better if they were a bit diffused looking, makes the pic look surreal to add to the mood.

Actually I dunno how to properly call it, just give you all some idea. Quite refreshing to me. Here is another example: http://www.iambtp.com/photo/red0726.html

Don't argue with the picture quality, you might be able to do it better after you master the skill.

Wolfie, you might have to wait about 1 month for me to digest, solli hah, a bit too long, quite busy these days :bsmilie: ... I would try it out in my next portrait series, if I know how to do it. :dunno:

It's a cross-processed look. As in actual slide cross-processing, what it does is some colour shift and a general contrast boost.

Seems to be a mix of curves, colour sat/hue adjustments and general USM techniques. T

he technique itself shouldn't be much of a mystery. It's the execution and correct application of it to the right photo and theme that's crucial. These guys seem to have pulled it off pretty well.

Here is the photo that I use for testing in implementing the method in using difference layer and tuning. Tom, I can read chinese but some of the word they direct translate from english to chinese for the PS which I can't understand at all..... :(

sunlight_org.JPG

Before process.

sunlight.JPG

After process.

any comment? :sweat:

David's Photography

I did try out, but not up to my satisfaction. Will try again and let others know when I get the idea. btw, more PS techniques seem have been used during processing. It's my time to learn PS, so called digital darkroom.

I think CS might like to bring back POTW/POTM, and portfolio sub-forum etc. Pity to say so many good equipment here but not equivalent good photos.

Agree?

David, you could create another layer, use gradient fill and "screen" mode blending to bring out the details of the ground. btw, the picture's horizon was a bit tilted, hah :D

Has anyone figured out the technique? The chinese is greek to me :( :embrass: :sweatsm:

Thanks Tomshen for the links, they are very interesting :) Indeed we need less equipment talk, more picture and techniques around here.

For the benefit of all clubsnappers, here's my translation:

Taken from: http://digi.pchome.net/cool/2003/5/22/130_2388.htm

1. Open an image. Select "Blue" from the channel palette, and go to "Apply Image". Check "invert" and select "Overlay" blending, then set opacity to 50%.

2. Repeat the same steps for the "Green" channel using 20% opacity.

3. Select the "Red" channel and go to "Apply Image". Set "Color Burn" blending and leave other options intact.

4. Adjust levels to the following:
B: 21 0.76 151
G: 46 1.37 221
R: 51 1.28 255

5. Adjust brightness/contrast to -3/+16.

6. Adjust saturation to +17.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.