Take pics in snow (could include skiing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpc

Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
Anyone got any tips to share for taking pics in snow? Especially snow sports like skiing? I am thinking of using the 50mm f1.8.. either that or the 17-55mm f2.8...

But since this would, logically, be my first timing in trying out sports photography which includes snow...

Need some suggestions...

Note: Not sure how the light will be like as it is a working day... They just having this competition for the employees... So... You think flash photography is needed???

Flash is good if you want to freeze the subject but you could also try panning which would be, IMHO, a better effect.

Both of the lens you mentioned are OK (fast lens) and about the only other two advice I would offer (if you have not already known) are:

(1) Care for your gear... we are talking about the cold surroundings / temperatures and it's effect on your gear (condensation, low battery life, etc)

(2) Use positive exposure compensation &/or centre-weighted metering with AE lock... you don't want the ski slopes looking grey.

Regards

such fast lenses are good of course but is not generally needed. a long lens will prove more useful since u mentioned skiing. i dont think i'll be able to get close enough to use a 17-55 when they're skiing. flash is always good but its effectiveness is limited by ur camera's sync speed. i think the 17-55 will be more useful since the bright day(i assume) will allow u to stop down for almost-prime sharpness.

be sure to check ur wb before the event

One thing which is often taught in photography books is to watch your exposure when taking snow - the books often teach that cameras meter in 18% gray and overexposure is required to make the snow white.

Thanks for replies...

Bright day?!?! Not sure... Looks foggy to me (based on the frankfurt photos that someone took just early this month)... and I am not sure what time is the skiing... Think could be evening, morning got training... Hoping the ski area will have at least some good lighting... Not even sure where the thing will be held and how it will look like...

If 17-55mm, then I will have to rent/borrow one from someone... I only have the kit lens, 50mm f1.8 and 75-300mm.

I know about the cold weather... And my D70 survived it once, so there should not be any problem... Was in Frankfurt early Dec 2 years ago - nice Christmas markets they have... Wonder what's on now...

AE Lock... Hmmm.... Ok... Will have a look at that....

WB... what to chose? Normally I will just use Auto... Heh... But looking at it... Most probably it will be either cloudy or shade...

Erm... I don't suppose the kit lens can do for low light?!?!? Haiz...

If you are referring to the 18-70mm F3.5-4.5, it's only one to 1-1/2 stop off the pro lens; shouldn't be a problem.

You may have to switch to AF-C though for panning shots (assuming you are not using flash)

If it is at outdoor, sunny day you should getting f16, the speed same as you ISO, but close down 1 stop for bright snow.

The Basic Daylight Exposure Guide

If you using camera metering, remember to open up 1 ~2 stops for snow scene, beware about the meter will be fool by the snow scene. or you can spot meter at a mid tone area as reference.

Hope this help.

Er... Forgot to add - without tripod as well... Tripod is just to heavy to bring over and I don't have a monopod... So... The support will be plain me and whatever methods I can get support for my arms...

Alpc said:
Thanks for replies...

Bright day?!?! Not sure... Looks foggy to me (based on the frankfurt photos that someone took just early this month)... and I am not sure what time is the skiing... Think could be evening, morning got training... Hoping the ski area will have at least some good lighting... Not even sure where the thing will be held and how it will look like...

If 17-55mm, then I will have to rent/borrow one from someone... I only have the kit lens, 50mm f1.8 and 75-300mm.

I know about the cold weather... And my D70 survived it once, so there should not be any problem... Was in Frankfurt early Dec 2 years ago - nice Christmas markets they have... Wonder what's on now...

AE Lock... Hmmm.... Ok... Will have a look at that....

WB... what to chose? Normally I will just use Auto... Heh... But looking at it... Most probably it will be either cloudy or shade...

Snow being white and very reflective; will cause a reflected meter on an SLR to over compensate and cause your shots to be underexposed in certain situations.

Here are some handy tips on shooting snow:

http://shutterbug.com/refreshercourse/travel_tips/1204lesson/

In short, just make sure you set exposure compensation to +1 or +2 when shooting in snow.

That will make your snow look white instead of grey.

I would use the 50mm f1.8 because

1. It is a fast lens, which you will need to freeze the action of skiing
2. It is small and light, something to consider when you are on the slopes

I went to korea for ski and on a sunny day, everything is like so glaring. Why do you need a flash? Even if you want to use it as fill in, I don't think your flash is powerful enough.

At ISO100, f4, my shutter is already 1/1250 at the ski area on a sunny day.

At the evening it is much harder to shoot due to focusing issue at low light. I think the most difficult part about shooting in low light is the focusing. If you are actually trying to focus on a fast moving object in low light, even harder. Especially when your aperture like large like f1.8, DOF very little

i have been taking ski photos of my kids on numerous holidays and sling my camera on my neck and go!! have used a leica M6 and a canon D20. none gave trouble in freezing cold perhaps its most times close to my body under ski jacket and taken out to shoot maybe 5 min at a time at most. in bright sunlight open up 1.5 or 2 stops if metering off the ground but for tyhe M6 i meter off trees or a grey card and the exposure is perfect. if you are shooting moving targets like my kids skiing it gets a little tricky and i suffer by carrying a 70 to 200mm IS zoom around my neck[!] and put my D 20 on AI servo [ auto focus with predictive focus] and shoot on 5 fps. great fun. troublesome but worth the effort. best of luck

Just found out... I will need flash as the event is happening in the evening starting at 6pm (just after sunset). It will be a floodlight lit skiing event!

So....o... Er... While I appreciate the tips... Er, most will not be applied as it's an evening event. No bright sunlight, no worries about step down of stops (I supposed), etc... Then again, how bright do those floodlights be????

Will see how it goes... Hmmm.... Now how do we uses those slides??? Hmm.... Could get some interesting pics from on the way down!!! Heh....

would not recommend flash for a ski sports events as you might distract the participants and cause a serious accident. Get a fast f2.8 lens better. Still try to overexpose by 2/3 or so as with a higher shutter speed, you pics will prob underexpose in that kind of lighting.

Ha... Gave up on taking pics... The flood lit area is so small and there were sight drizzle.. Played with snow instead!!! Heh...

Thanks for the tips anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.