Take a Picture and Donate to Tsunamis Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

eikin

Apr 27, 2004
東京 Tokyo
Hi everyone, following some discussions from the Aceh Photo Relief thread, here's something that we may be able to do to contribute as a photography community. This is TOTALLY within our means.

ortega said:
Have a photoshoot for families or individuals on orchard road or a studio with all proceeds going to the red cross. Just an idea, but need the equipment and the logistics to be settled first, there are a few people going to wash cars today to generate cash for donation.

as mentioned by ortega, we can do photoshoots for people (locals, tourists, shoppers etc.) in places like Orchard Road or some other tourist attractions (e.g. Singapore River)

this is in the initial stage and there are no concrete plans as yet. but we are consolidating a list of what we have that can be used to do this:

Equipment list for supporters:

digital camera

1. eikin (mine take only up to 4mp, maybe for smaller prints)
2. snowspeeder (6 - 8 mp, but 4 mp is more than enough for prints)

laptop

1. eikin (but monitor not calibrated)

portable printer & photo-papers (maybe can look for sponsors? especially the photo-papers)

What other things/people we (may) need (to do):

1. A group of capable coordinators experienced in this type of charity drive
2. Get approval from relevant authorities to carry out this project once plans are drawn out

note, i am not the organiser (no intention as well as i have no experience in this and will not be able to handle such a project) i am only posting this to raise awareness for such opportunities to help, there are many things which i do not know that many of you will know with regards to such projects, so please step forward and contribute ideas/suggestions and your effort.

we need inputs from the entire community here if we are to realise this donation drive because right now everything is just a dream, but this dream is not impossible IMHO

p.s. for those who wonders if this will take too long to organise and not raise the money in time, we have to take note that very often we forget about the disaster victims after the media stop reporting them. this is a major disaster that will take many many years for the victims to recover, help will never be too late if we start now!

seems like very poor support ... just for a start, a list of willing volunteers and equipment on hand

digital camera

1. eikin (mine take only up to 4mp, maybe for smaller prints )
2. snowspeeder (6 - 8 mp, but 4 mp is more than enough for prints)
3.HotSpots (6mp)

laptop

1. eikin (but monitor not calibrated)
2.HotSpots (ditto)

portable printer & photo-papers (maybe can look for sponsors? especially the photo-papers)

we may just need to contribute a full weekend (or two)

Laptop is not needed, what we need is a portable pictbridge printer
inks and paper and lastly a location. Maybe the merlion/esplanade.
Posters, T-shirts. Power supply for the printer. Reflector for a more
quality light. Light meter. Tripod. That should be a start.
My camera is also available.

We can ask for sponsor of printer, photo paper and inks.

No sure when will this be, so can't commit myself now.

But a sekonic L328 light/flash meter, an a 055 tripod is available if needed. :)

thanks catchlights! yah i agree it's difficult to commit without a decided time to do this, but at least must know how much equipment people are willing to contribute and what else are needed ...

digital camera

1. eikin
2. snowspeeder
3. HotSpots
4. ortega

tripod

1. eikin
2. ortega
3. catchlights

reflector

light meter

1. catchlights

portable pic-bridge printer with power supply, ink supply & photo-papers (hopefully can get sponsors)

t-shirts & posters can be worked out after we get the bulk of the items ready ... i have a feeling that doing this under a registered charitable organisation may be more efficient, any views/experience/suggestions on this? :)

ortega said:
Laptop is not needed, what we need is a portable pictbridge printer
inks and paper and lastly a location.

problem is the camera must be connected to the printer during the printing

so while it is printing, u cannot use the camera to shoot already

also, not all camera supprt pict bridge

eg. my 1D can't :(

i think there is a need to apply permit from CID as well, and it will take quite some time to process the application, but i got a

20D, 190DB tripod and a notebook

I also have another compact C750 if it can be used as well.

Wai said:
problem is the camera must be connected to the printer during the printing

so while it is printing, u cannot use the camera to shoot already

also, not all camera supprt pict bridge

eg. my 1D can't :(

yup that's true ... that's why it's good if we have a few more cameras on hand ... and really need sponsors for printers and stuff (think Kay Chin has helped with some contacting with Epson) we see how, we should have enough laptops to support this if alot of cameras don't support pic bridge. i'm getting some non-CS friends to help also, but i think main support will still have to come from CS. and still waiting for replies on whether we can get permit to do this at Esplanade and Orchard Road ...

anyway, i like this idea too

if there is a fixed location with power souce, it is faster to setup a workstation to do processing and printing, while the photographer will go shoot and find donors, then bring the CF card to the workstation to download.

sounds like a nice idea...

digital camera

1. eikin
2. snowspeeder
3. HotSpots
4. ortega
5. Del_CtrlnoAlt

tripod

1. eikin
2. ortega
3. catchlights
4. Del_CtrlnoAlt

reflector

1. Del_CtrlnoAlt x2 (small 1)

light meter

1. catchlights
2. Del_CtrlnoAlt (cheapo polaris)

portable pic-bridge printer with power supply, ink supply & photo-papers (hopefully can get sponsors)

Wai said:

if there is a fixed location with power souce, it is faster to setup a workstation to do processing and printing, while the photographer will go shoot and find donors, then bring the CF card to the workstation to download.
Don't need to ask the photographers to find doner, ask our models here to help. :D

eikin said:
yup that's true ... that's why it's good if we have a few more cameras on hand ....

camera should not be a problem since everyone here will have at least one digital camera right. consumable like printer ink and paper is a greater concern.

Wai said:

hmmm ... that's true as well ... let's see how after i get reply from Esplanade, if we get their support i think the rest will be easy to handle.

digital camera

1. eikin
2. snowspeeder
3. HotSpots
4. ortega
5. Del_CtrlnoAlt
6. zhangyb

tripod

1. eikin
2. ortega
3. catchlights
4. Del_CtrlnoAlt
5. zhangyb

laptop/notebook

1. eikin
2. HotSpots
3. zhangyb

reflector

light meter

1. catchlights

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
eikin, i dun mind lending u a eye one v1 to do calibration (since it doesn't kill my unit)

i think it is easier for him to bring his laptop to my place to calibrate, since he just stay opposite my block :bsmilie:

Count me in...

digital camera

1. eikin
2. snowspeeder
3. HotSpots
4. ortega
5. Del_CtrlnoAlt
6. SnapSnap

tripod

1. eikin
2. ortega
3. catchlights
4. Del_CtrlnoAlt

reflector

light meter

1. catchlights

Wai said:
i think it is easier for him to bring his laptop to my place to calibrate, since he just stay opposite my block :bsmilie:

haha, thanks! seems like picking up after a 'supportless' night ;p

but HEY! I AM STILL LOOKING FOR EXPERIENCED PEOPLE TO COORDINATE leh!

hey SnapSnap! tripod as well? ;p

digital camera

1. eikin
2. snowspeeder
3. HotSpots
4. ortega
5. Del_CtrlnoAlt
6. SnapSnap

tripod

1. eikin
2. ortega
3. catchlights
4. Del_CtrlnoAlt

reflector

light meter

1. catchlights

Wai said:

i got another funking idea... mayb we should bring our ikea light stand with florescene light there to do photography as well... hiak hiak... :bsmilie: or ask eastgear to sponsor their studio lights... unless CP or others wanna sponsor their top of the range models... :bigeyes:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i got another funking idea... mayb we should bring our ikea light stand with florescene light there to do photography as well... hiak hiak... :bsmilie: or ask eastgear to sponsor their studio lights... unless CP or others wanna sponsor their top of the range models... :bigeyes:

:bigeyes:

haha ... i don't mind if there're people with the 'kang tao' ... you want to look into that? ;p this is team effort, we need everyone to help!!!

btw, maybe i should point out that whilst this is gaining support alot still depends on whether we can get the permit since we are more like private individuals doing charity in public ... we can start requesting from Epson once the permit part clears ... AND HEY WHO IS EXPERIENCED ENOUGH TO COORDINATE THIS!!! NO ONE MEH???

Status
Not open for further replies.